Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

FIP and breeder responsibility

tonkamcd
January 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM
If i purchased a kitten, and 8 months later it had to be euthanized due to serious health problems most likely from FIP as stated by the vet, (i know there is not a definative test for FIP) is there any responsibility on the breeders part ? I do understand FIP is virus mutation of the corona virus, but is it reasonable to expect the breeder to replace the cat or help cover some of the vet bills ? Would a shelter be responsible for any of that either ? Thanks for your opinions!!

clm
January 18th, 2008, 11:33 AM
If there's no test for the virus, and if a cat or kitten seemed healthy to a shelter when they adopted it out, I don't know how you would be able to expect a shelter to be responsible in any way. I would expect rather, that since the cat or kitten died unexpectidely and the adopter had felt the need and desire to adopt a shelter animal, then adopting another shelter animal would be the natural way to go if another pet was something that the adopter wants.
If the cat or kitten was purchased from a breeder, I would expect the purchaser to definately inform the breeder of what had happened and what the vet had determined as the probable cause of death. I don't know if this is something that is genetic or environmental or just luck of the draw, I'm not informed at all on the condition. If genetic, I would expect the breeder to offer to replace the cat or kitten. Otherwise you shouldn't expect anything from the breeder either, it would be the breeders call.

Cindy

Love4himies
January 18th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your cat. There are some really nasty viruses out there.

A responsible breeder, yes, a BYB in it for profit, probably not. Has your kitten ever been around cats, other than the breeders who could have passed on the virus?

I am a little confused because at first you talk about a breeder, then you talk about a shelter.

In any case you should be informing all those institutions that have had your cat in their care of your cat's illness.

tonkamcd
January 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM
It is not actually my cat, I can't even really say it's a close friends cat as the person who owned the cat is just someone whom at the very best I could say is a casual acquantiance (spelling? ) She just knows that I have more then just basic knowledge about pets = )
The kitten was purchased through a pet store, however she does have the breeders contact information as well (yes i know i know, pet store etc.) but the question is, should she go back to anyone to see about replacing the kitten, reimbursement for vet bills etc. The cat is the only cat, however it has been to the vet clinic three times since she had it (neuter, plus two sets of shots) is an indoor cat, and after researching myself i have found out that FIP is NOT congenital, (as i stated in the first post it starts as a corona virus that in about 5% of cats mutates into FIP) so the cat obviously picked it up from somewhere. The incubation period looks to be from about two days to two weeks, however you may or may not see symptoms for months to years at a time. So is it reasonable to expect any sort of recomp from either the store ? or the breeder ?
My reference to the shelter was meant, if she had adopted the cat from a shelter instead of purchasing it and the same thing happened, would the shelter be in any way responsible. ?