Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good wishes for Harry

2survivors
January 18th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Harry, my 2 yr old golden, went for his 1 yr post radiation check on Wed to his oncologist and unfortunately she found a hard enlarged node on his right front neck/chest. She stuck a needle in and we are waiting to hear if this is metastatic, a different tumor, or maybe just something benign. He has also lost weight and I think having been so preoccupied with my angel Jessica who passed on Dec 26, I may have missed some things! We knew last year that this was a very aggressive tumor and he certainly would not be here if we did nothing and we were told a year survival is great in a dog but quite honestly this whole year flew by too fast. Having to take care of my two sick kitties from their food took alot of the seriousness of Harry's illness away but unfortunately took me away from Harry too. I know until she calls (maybe today) that this could be anything but I can't help to think it is back. He showed no interest in eating this morning and we have noticed his appetite has changed--I did have to change his food as I had trouble finding his grain-free kibble here for a month. I believe in the power of positive thoughts and prayers and as I've asked on my other "blog", please keep Harry in your thoughts---it is too close to losing Jessica to go through this kind of sadness alone....:cry:
Thank you
Carol

Love4himies
January 18th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Oh no, I :pray: that it is not serious.

hazelrunpack
January 18th, 2008, 08:24 AM
All our :fingerscr and 32 crossed :pawprint:s sending positive thoughts your way! I hope it's not so serious as another bout of cancer, Carol. :grouphug: Harry will be in our prayers.

Lukka'sma
January 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Carol I hope this is nothing serious. You have been through so much with your poor Jessica.
Hopefully Lucy and Smudge are giving off healthy vibes to Harry.

2survivors
January 18th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Harry's oncologist called about an hour ago---it is bad news and is metastasis--may not even be a node but be all tumor--she said even with chemo there is only a 20% chance at the most of remission (not cure) and she suggests comfort measures which we do agree with. The year went fast but now to make him enjoy what he has left--she told me that he will let us know---he has a decreased appetitie but he still appears to be happy and plays with Lucy and that is a good indicator he is feeling okay. My husband and I had a feeling as "something" told us this lump was not good news. It is ironic though because we took him in for a routine visit like I did with Jessica. But I would love continued good wishes come his way for him to remain as pain-free and as happy as he can. Thanks.

badger
January 18th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Yes, best wishes for some more time to be showered with love. Such awful news, even though you were prepared to hear it. 2 years! Ain't fair.

krdahmer
January 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM
:goodvibes: :pray::grouphug: I hope the time he has left is pain free and full of love and his favorite things. So sorry you all have to go through this. :grouphug:

rainbow
January 18th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Carol, I am so very sorry to hear about Harry. :sad: :grouphug: You have been through so much over the last year and my heart goes out to you. :grouphug:

Sending lots of prayers and good wishes for Harry's remaining time. :pray: :pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

TeriM
January 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM
But I would love continued good wishes come his way for him to remain as pain-free and as happy as he can.

I definately send those wishes out to Harry and and some extra wishes for you as well to enjoy your remaining time together and make more happy memories to add to the long list I'm sure you have made together.

:grouphug::goodvibes::fingerscr:goodvibes::grouphu g:

Lukka'sma
January 18th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I am so sorry.:sad:

phoozles
January 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Sorry to hear about Harry - you've had a rough go at it, but hopefully you can make the best of time you have left with him.
And if you have any frustrations/rants/comments to make at any time, we're here for you. :grouphug:

pbpatti
January 18th, 2008, 04:30 PM
So sad, I hope that you are able to keep Harry comfortable, sending all my best wishes and Sasha says rooo, rooo patti

growler~GateKeeper
January 18th, 2008, 11:46 PM
:sad: Carol :grouphug: I'm so sorry to hear Harry is not doing well again :grouphug:

Sending lots of :pray: :goodvibes: for a pain-free happy life-loving (not at all sad or depressed) Harry for as long as you may have him :goodvibes: :pray:

2survivors
January 20th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Thnaks to all for sending us all good wishes---we had good luck with him eating yesterday---I gave him chix breast, yogurt, blueberries, mixed in with his grain-free kible---tod ay though he is not interested and is licking his lips---we have given him a generic reglan to see if it helps with nausea---we don't want to do anything invasive but we do want to treat his uncomfortable symptoms---we had 8 pills left from his bout with chemo and it is still good----he's on a walk now with daddy and maybe he'll feel like having a little to eat when he comes back---Lucy however is really wanting Harry's full bowl! I am able to stay home so he will not be alone for one minute!!! Having this place and my other friends at itchmo is a life saver! I'm a chatterbox in real life --I gues you can tell! Again thanks for all the good thoughts coming his way!
Carol and family

growler~GateKeeper
January 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Carol - if you raise Harry's food dish up so his head is not below his stomach when he eats that may also help w/the nausea - this is recommended for CRF Kitties & their nausea to keep the stomach acid (that is what causes the nausea) in the stomach not up into the throat.

Hope it helps :goodvibes: :fingerscr :grouphug:

rainbow
January 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I agree....we had to do that when one of our last huskies had liver cancer. Sending lots more good wishes for Harry. :pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
January 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Oh, Carol, I was hoping for better news. You've been through so much already :grouphug:

I hope the walk perked him up and he feasted on chicken and yogurt kibble again today. :grouphug:s for Harry and your whole family. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

otter
January 20th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Carol, our thought and warm wishes are with you.. Molly sends some special Golden thoughts for Harry to enjoy his life to the fullest and happiest for however long it may be. :grouphug: and :goodvibes: for you Carol too.

2survivors
January 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM
Carol - if you raise Harry's food dish up so his head is not below his stomach when he eats that may also help w/the nausea - this is recommended for CRF Kitties & their nausea to keep the stomach acid (that is what causes the nausea) in the stomach not up into the throat.

Hope it helps :goodvibes: :fingerscr :grouphug:

growler--thanks---I'll post a pix here---it's of Smudge when she was not feeling so good--but it does show the feeding stations my hubby built for Harry and Lucy---you'll see the L and H on the front---we are in the middle of a many years long project of building our home---we are tearing down what we are living in now--my childhood home-- and building 3 feet away! Some of it is post and beam so my hubby wanted a post and beam look to their bowls!!! I'm torn now because I don't know what to do with Harry's---I thought I would water seal it and have it as his marker but I'm not sure of that---we have a stone statue for Barkley in his garden--I'll post that pix too---

chico2
January 21st, 2008, 07:42 AM
Carol,life certainly throws us curveballs and you've had more than your share:sad:
So sorry for the bad news.I'm hoping Harry will still have a wonderful rest of his very short life.:pray:
You know we are here for you,you can rant,scream,cry whatever you feel a need to do,we all understand.

Love4himies
January 21st, 2008, 08:04 AM
Oh, so sorry to hear it was bad news. :grouphug: to you.

danaekitty
January 21st, 2008, 03:25 PM
Our deepest sympathies to you.
:sorry:

Ford Girl
January 21st, 2008, 06:12 PM
From us too, many thoughts and prayers and ROO ROO's...we are here for you if ever you need us, we understand the pain, the joy, the silliest of pet things...don't forget that. :grouphug:

ancientgirl
January 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM
I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers :pray:your way for Harry.

growler~GateKeeper
January 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Carol ask your vet about Pepto-Bismal for Harry I know some CRF kitties get that for nausea

Great looking bowls btw

Watersealing the feeding station sounds like a good idea - you could even have it as a bird feeder or bath :shrug:
The stone statue is a great tribute to your Barkley :grouphug:

More :fingerscr :goodvibes: :pray: for Harry

2survivors
February 4th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I wanted to give an update on my Harry. He was put on an anti nausea which seemed to help him with eating for a few days and then he lost the desire to eat again despite homecooking--but now he has been on prednisone since Saturday and he is eating again---although I tell him it's for the kitty and am keeping it on the cat food shelf!! I am worried less about what he is eating than if he is eating as I do know that he will leave us sooner if he fails to keep eating. He does still do everything with Lucy and us but just not as long and he seems not to be in any pain so we are just taking one day at a time. I think good wishes never hurt either!! Thanks from all of us in Harry's family. He just won in a photo contest that my hubby sent a pix in before we knew his cancer was back, it's published this week and it wonderful timing... This will be one of those special things we will talk about during his last days with us...this is the pix that he entered

chico2
February 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Aww Harry,what a sweet picture:lovestruck:
Cancer just makes me soo angry,why does it not go out and get the bad guys out there,why an innocent 2-year old pup.:yell:
I :pray:beautiful Harry still has lots of quality time left with his family,it's just so darn sad for any dog/cat,but especially for a 2yr old,not much more than a baby.
Tons of :pray:and good vibes for Harry and your family!!

Ford Girl
February 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Harry - you are very handsome!!! :cloud9:

Lots of :goodvibes: and :grouphug: and :pray: coming your way!!

hazelrunpack
February 4th, 2008, 04:13 PM
What a sweetheart, Carol. Handsome Harry :lovestruck:

All our :fingerscr and 32 crossed :pawprint:s sending good wishes your way. Sending :grouphug:s for sweet Harry, too.

growler~GateKeeper
February 4th, 2008, 11:29 PM
More :pray: :goodvibes::fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug: :goodvibes: for Harry EAT Harry EAT! please :D

Great photo :thumbs up nice win on the contest :highfive:

Have you tried lightly seared or raw liver? perhaps canned water packed sardines? :goodvibes:

and :grouphug: for you Carol

Shaykeija
February 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM
May Angels look after Harry...http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/momymacaw/Our%20Angles%20Birds%20and%20Wolf%20Dogs/d61a.jpg and help his parents through this tough time

russte
February 5th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I too, send prayers for your family and Harry. russte:candle: