Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seedy Saturdays

luckypenny
January 17th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Now that Chris21711's thread got me thinking of gardening again, here's a link to Seedy Saturdays across Canada. Seed swaps, sales, workshops and more.

http://www.seeds.ca/ev/evpage.php?lang=EN&p=5

jiorji
January 17th, 2008, 11:06 AM
omg i so wanna go to that LP!!

jiorji
January 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM
have you been before?? what kind of seeds do they have?? I want sweet pea seeds. My favorite :cloud9:

badger
January 17th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I would die to find some of those huge, old-fashioned sweet peas that scent an entire room. A couple of years ago, I ordered a heritage variety. It was so disappointing, the flowers were miniscule and the scent negligeable. So if anyone knows of a variety that would satisfy my nostalgia for the sweet peas of my childhood, speak up.
Of course I trench them, plant them in a sunny location - usually against a fence - and all the rest.
My conclusion is that some people can grow fabulous sweet peas and others can't; I may just be in the latter group :frustrated:.

luckypenny
January 17th, 2008, 11:15 AM
omg i so wanna go to that LP!!

Me too :D . I always seemed to miss them in the past, there's only one held in Montreal. It's held on a Sunday, my workday, but I'll try to get someone to replace me. I was visiting my favorite gardener's website and a link reminded me of it.

There are supposed to be all kinds of seeds, seedlings, displays, and workshops :goodvibes: . I'm :pray:ing the company I normally order from will be there. I'd love to finally meet her.

luckypenny
January 17th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I would die to find some of those huge, old-fashioned sweet peas that scent an entire room.

You'll have to attend then :D . I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

:lightbulb: A pets.ca meet-up at the Botanical Gardens! Think they'll let us bring the furkids?? :laughing:

Frenchy
January 17th, 2008, 11:19 AM
:sad: thought I read "speedy saturdays" .... backing out now ..... bip bip bip :D

jiorji
January 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I would die to find some of those huge, old-fashioned sweet peas that scent an entire room.

i LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE sweet peas.

and snowdrops :D OOHH maybe they'll have special bulbs there! oohhh exciting!!

and poppy seeds!!:cloud9: i love poppies and sunflowers!!

ooohhh my balcony's gonna be so GREAT this year!!

i'm definetly going!! thanks LP for contributing to my "things to waste money on that aren't school related":laughing:

CearaQC
January 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun, but nothing nearby. :sad:

Sweet peas are beautiful flowers. :D But they can be picky and don't like to get too hot but do want sun. Kinda like lilies in that regard, wanting their heads in the sun and their feet in the shade.

May be started inside 3-4 weeks earlier, but is usually direct seeded in early spring as soon as the ground can be worked. Soak seed in water for 24-48 hours before planting in fertile, well-drained soil. Sow seed 1-2 inches deep. Sweet Peas prefer cool conditions. If your summers are hot, you should keep the roots cool by trenching them. Dig a trench, about 10 inches deep and place your seeds in the bottom. Cover with 1 inch of soil to start and continue to fill in the trench as your peas grow. Space 6 inches apart in a full sun location. Sweet peas are heavy feeders, so fertilize regularly. Provide support for vining types. Change their location each year, to avoid disease problems.

http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/gardeninfo/guide/flowinfo/sweetpeas

luckypenny
January 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun, but nothing nearby. :sad:

We can always take pics and send you lots of samples ;) .

BUt, you have to promise to post pics of those lovely flowers (can't remember the name right now :o ) that grow along the sides of the roads and property lines in Gaspe. You know, the flowers are corncob-shaped and usually different shades of purple, blue, and pink? They're everywhere!

CearaQC
January 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Lupins - aren't they lovely?

With the seeds though, they tend to interbreed and after a while all you get is purple and pink. The other colors from garden centers should have their seed pods hacked off before they mature. Sometimes that makes the plant send up another flowering stalk, albeit smaller than the first bloom.

If you want some seeds I can save mine after they bloom this year. I only have 2 colors though. I love trading! Majority of my flowers are from trades, but I only plant the perennials.

Kind of a bit depressing looking at last summer's pictures. LOL Most of my lilies are 4 feet tall and I leave a few dead stalks over winter to help gauge snow depth... after the last snowfall a couple of days ago, not one lily stalk can be seen. Can't wait for spring!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/Ceara_QC/DSCF0015.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/Ceara_QC/pinklupine90cw.jpg

luckypenny
January 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM
That's them! They're so lovely. Especially when grown in masses.

You're second photo just made me realize how much I miss Gaspe :sad: . We haven't visited our little house there in 3 1/2 years :sad: . Maybe I can convince Hubby to spend at least a week of our holidays in heaven :cloud9: .

I'll be ordering my heritage/organic seeds within the next week. I often order 'endangered' species of perennials. I'd be happy to trade with you :) .

I'm going to try something a little funky with the front yard this year too. Clover, chamomile, and other 'crawling' herbs. Can't wait to see how it turns out :goodvibes: .

Chris21711
January 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
LP What kind of Heritage seeds do you get?
I'll be going to the Seedy Saturday in Pickering, sounds neat.

CearaQC
January 17th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah come visit the area sometime in the summer. We will be heading to Malbaie at the wharf this summer a few times for mackerel fishing! The doggies love fish. And I adore going to that spot because you can always meet colorful people there and have a few laughs.

CearaQC
January 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM
You can find a lot of Heirloom/heritage type seeds for trade on Gardenweb. They should be starting up trading soon, if they haven't already.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/excan/

luckypenny
January 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM
The Cottage Gardener in Newtonville. I'm hoping to get a chance to visit early this Spring when they have seedling for sale. I get whatever strikes my fancy :laughing: , I'm like a kid in a candy store and can't remember half the seeds I order. It's like a surprise bag when the flowers bloom in the summer :laughing: .

http://www.cottagegardener.com/index.cfm/action/public/public/home/cfid/2034884/cftoken/50895713.cfm

Actually, we removed all the gardens from the backyard :sad: because the dogs were just trampling everything down :evil: . Our yard isn't really big enough for both dogs and gardens so the dogs won. I'll attempt gardening in the front yard although we only get morning sun by the house. I'll have to find new plants this year. It should be interesting.