Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

High five with all five claws!

Bluedrake
January 17th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Whoo!

I feel very happy today. A colleague of mine is getting her cat neutered this friday, and she wanted to have him declawed as well, but I managed to persuade her not to do it (the declawing, not the neutering).

I sent her a few webpages that explain what declawing entails, and she was rather shocked. When she told her daughter, the kid's reaction was "Poor baby! We can't do that to him!"

So I'm pretty happy with this. I also sent her documentation explaining the alternative ways to prevent furniture scratching.

At least one cat saved!

I also convinced another one of my colleagues to change her cats' food (she was feeding walmart brand :yuck:), and she's going to look into raw feeding.

That's two more!

My cat owning co-workers are starting to find me a little annoying with the cat food issue... :D They feed Prescription Diet/Medical and other such things. But I'm not giving up! There are 5 more cats to save! My work is not done!

sugarcatmom
January 17th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Good job!! That's awesome. :thumbs up

chico2
January 17th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Great stuff:thumbs upKeep up your good deeds,the kitties will thank you:cat:

amatazes
January 17th, 2008, 09:06 AM
nice. i've fostered some declawed kitties before I knew what declawed meant and I thought they had neuro disorders.
lol. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them. Then the owner of the rescue group had to come over and investigate and she nearly killed me. She one of those people who never leaves manhattan and I made her trek out to queens ( 1 bridge separates us and we live on either side, 10 minutes tops). hahah:thumbs up

Lukka'sma
January 17th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Well done Bd.

CearaQC
January 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM
A lot of people won't switch to better foods for a few reasons.

1. They think it's more expensive. But really I think they eat less of the better stuff, because it's packed with more nutrients and not fillers. Plus side, less poo.

2. They don't like taking others' word for it and won't take action until something big happens like the food recall and see it plastered all over the news.
Or, something drastic happens to their pet.

3. Think it's not necessary and what the pet likes is what it eats.

4. Think it's more work to feed better food.

If you can find some success stories of vast improvement with better food, it might be received better. Instead of telling them they should switch, offer a non-confrontational approach and say, "see what happened to this pet when it started eating better food."

I'm sure there are many on this forum that can provide such stories. ;)

You're an :angel2: helping pets and spreading the word. Keep up the good work!!

SARAH
January 17th, 2008, 09:50 AM
The lady we bought the house from was over yesterday, and she said her son now feeds exclusively raw to his dogs; buying scraps from a butcher and preparing it himself with veggies and all. It's cheaper than the bagged and canned stuff!

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM
That's great you saved that poor kitty from being declawed! :thumbs up

luckypenny
January 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
:thumbs up

I also sent her documentation explaining the alternative ways to prevent furniture scratching.

Would you be able to pm me links to some of this documentation? My next door neighbor is contemplating having her two adult cats declawed because they're ruining her new furniture. She doesn't really want to but feels she has no alternative :shrug: . It would be great if I can give her some info to help her reconsider.

I don't push raw feeding on anyone but gloat when everyone compliments the physical condition of my dogs and their amazing coats. The first question they ask is "What do you feed them?" You can see the facial expressions go from disgust to interest in a matter of seconds :D . That's when I give them a crash course on raw feeding and/or real high quality kibble and suggest reading material for them.

Kristin7
January 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
awesome! :thumbs up I feel bad as I was unsuccessful in pursuading one of my neighbors friends to not declaw his cat. He said he'd tried everything to stop the cat from scratching up his furniture so felt it was a last resort. Now the cat still scratches but w/o claws and he remarked the cat has still be able to damage things that way (my declawed cat does this too with her little cat fingers). My declawed cat also bites more, so I don't see what purpose declawing serves. imho, vets should refuse to do it unless there is some very compelling reason. fyi - my cat was declawed before I got her - I'd never declaw a cat.

sugarcatmom
January 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Would you be able to pm me links to some of this documentation? My next door neighbor is contemplating having her two adult cats declawed because they're ruining her new furniture. She doesn't really want to but feels she has no alternative :shrug: . It would be great if I can give her some info to help her reconsider.

Not Bluedrake, but maybe you can suggest your neighbor look into something called Sticky Paws (http://www.stickypaws.com/) to put on her furniture. Also, if she doesn't have scratching posts, that would be mandatory (sprayed with catnip spray and placed in a well used area if they aren't using them). It's also likely she doesn't know that declawing is considered the most painful surgical procedure you can perform on a cat, even more so for adults. They actually test pain meds on cats having it done as it's considered the ultimate benchmark of efficacy. Nice huh? Would she really want to put her cats through that for the sake of her couch? Not to mention the longterm ramifications of arthritis and behavioral disorders (biting, litter box avoidance, anti-social tendencies). Oh, and declawing is banned in something like 88 countries. If her furniture means that much to her she'd be better off re-homing them.

http://www.pawproject.com/html/faqs.asp

luckypenny
January 17th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks so much for the links, Sugarcatmom! Speaking with her, I know she has no clue as to what declawing entails. I'll print out your suggestions and bring them to her this afternoon. On behalf of her kitties, thanks again.

chico2
January 17th, 2008, 05:25 PM
The subject of mutilating cats is also another thing that bothers me with my vet(s).
The receptionist has been told to suggest declawing,when a kitten is spayed/neutered.
Last time I overheard her suggesting to a young man who had two new kittens,to have them declawed as if it was something akin to giving them a shot:yell:
I quickly told him to please not have the kittens declawed,it is a horrible practice and he promtly said no he would not.
I find it highly unethical for a vet to recommened declawing.
Cats come with claws,an aquarium is a better choice for someone who feels the need to mutilate a poor innocent cat:sad:

Bluedrake
January 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I once heard a vet liken declawing to a manicure. :wall:

The woman I just convinced not to declaw was a particular case. She was born with malformed fingers and no toes. When she read the documents, I think she realized that she would voluntary inflict her own handicap on the cat.

As for the tricks to discourage scratching, there is the two-way tape that discourages cats, the Soft paws plastic tips that you glue to the claws, or even throwing a fleece blanket over the furniture. Cats like resistance when they scratch, and the blanket just follows, so they try to find something better.

A scratching post is a must.

My own cat Chinook is a prime example of what bad food can do. She used to be on Purina and had constant soft, bloody stool and would cry when in the litter box, she hardly ate and threw up a hairball at least once a week, even when she wasn't shedding! I switched her to Wellness canned, and now that is a thing of the past. She has normal stool, she has more energy and her coat has gotten all shiny and soft. She's been on it for six months now and she has thrown up only one hairball, and that was a tiny one during the first month. She cuddles more too!

My other cat Erin also has improved tremendously on Wellness.

Maybe I'll try raw when I'm sure I can do it right.

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2008, 06:44 PM
The vet I like to have see my cats hates declawing. I'd told her that the vet that saw them when she wasn't working over the holidays suggested I do that to Maks and Kiska, and she about had a fit. She said nobody was going to touch her niece and nephew's claws.

I never knew what declawing entailed until I brought Vlad home and looking at all the cat sites I could find, since I knew very little about raising a kitten. I found a site that showed the operation and a diagram. I was horrified!

It's a brutal practice and if you ask me, it's just another form of abuse.

dmc123
January 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Great job Bluedrake! I haven't had that kind of luck with those I've told about it. Maybe one day!

Diane

rainbow
January 17th, 2008, 08:00 PM
WOO HOO Bluedrake....good for you. :highfive: Have you told your co-workers to check out the Food Forum here? Maybe that will help to convince them. :o

Here's a website you can refer them to as well....

http://www.catinfo.org/