Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Public outcry at Rambo's fate

Colubridz
January 17th, 2008, 01:02 AM
January 14, 2008 01:16 PM -
Angry members of the public are rushing to support the young Mississauga woman who owns a 10-month-old pit bull puppy scheduled to be euthanized under Ontario's new dog laws.

Gabriela Nowakowska, 20, is consulting a lawyer and getting plenty of public support for her defiant opposition to her pet's impending death.

"Free Rambo!" one petition started by a friend of Nowakowska is titled.

"Your taking her dog is like taking her child," said Claire Birchall, who has collected more than 65 signatures so far.

"Do Not Kill Rambo He is Innocent," is the headline on a separate petition signed by more than 40 Mississauga residents.

Nowakowska's puppy, Rambo, was caught by animal control officers on Christmas Day after he got out of the backyard where she lives. The dog owner has been told she is not permitted to own the animal under amendments passed by the Ontario government to limit pit bulls, which have been linked to serious dog attacks.

Nowakowksa says she loves her dog and wants to go to court to fight the action, which City of Mississauga officials have warned her she will likely lose. But she says she has no money for a legal fight.

Animal welfare groups are helping her contact a lawyer and might set up a public fund to which sympathetic residents could donate.

"I think this is animal cruelty," Birchall says in the preamble of her petition. "You are going to kill an innocent puppy and for what? Because he is a pit bull? What if people went around killing black people just because of their skin colour?"

Nowakowska says her dog "wouldn't harm anyone."

Rambo, who actually could be as young as five-to-seven months, continues to be held at the City's animal control centre on Central Pkwy. W. at a charge of $10 per day until Nowakowska decides what she'll do.

clm
January 17th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Horrible fate for the poor puppy. :sad: She never should have gotten him in the first place with the ban in effect and should have been aware of that when she got the pup. :frustrated: I don't support the ban, but people who get pit bull puppies in Ontario now are risking those dogs lives. Hopefully they'll allow the pup to go to another province into rescue.

Cindy

happycats
January 17th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Horrible fate for the poor puppy. :sad: She never should have gotten him in the first place with the ban in effect and should have been aware of that when she got the pup. :frustrated: I don't support the ban, but people who get pit bull puppies in Ontario now are risking those dogs lives. Hopefully they'll allow the pup to go to another province into rescue.

Cindy

I agree, this is a case of a stupid owner, not only does she get a poor pup, that she knows is banned in this province, but she can't even properly contain him and allows him to get out!!

Instead of pleading for freakin lawyer fees, she should be pleading for someone in another province to give him a good home!

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM
These laws are just so ridiculous. So they want to kill this dog for something he "might" do? It doesn't make any sense to me and it never will.

Heck, I've known poodles more ferocious than pit bulls.:frustrated:

chico2
January 17th, 2008, 08:57 AM
It's a really sad story,especially for the puppy,we all know the outcome,the puppy will pay the price:sad:

amatazes
January 17th, 2008, 09:01 AM
this is so sad. I mean I wouldn't get a pitbull but to try to stop others from having them is horrible. :sad:

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Ban the people fighting these breeds, not the breeds. They're the ones that are doing the damage.:mad:

snoopymjm
January 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I agree, this is a case of a stupid owner, not only does she get a poor pup, that she knows is banned in this province, but she can't even properly contain him and allows him to get out!!

Instead of pleading for freakin lawyer fees, she should be pleading for someone in another province to give him a good home!

I agree about keeping this dog contained. But, I too lost a dog out of my fenced back yard. We had no idea how she got out. If someone did not let her out, she must have jumped. Mercy!

amatazes
January 17th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I agree about keeping this dog contained. But, I too lost a dog out of my fenced back yard. We had no idea how she got out. If someone did not let her out, she must have jumped. Mercy!

happy cats brings up a good point. What kind of owner is this keeping a pit in the backyard. Pits are short haired and get sick very easily. was she planning on hiding him forever?

snoopymjm
January 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I do agree on the point of the ordinance. That is, she should have known the law in her province before bringing her into her home. Obviously she disobeyed the ordinance/law. Ban or no Ban, if you lose a pet out of a fenced yard-it doesn't necessarily mean you are irresponsible.

happycats
January 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
The pup was 10 months old, and it was winter, and animal control found this pup on Christmas day?? I don't think this pup was being properly supervised, because really, this dog must have been loose a long time for animal control to have caught it on Christmas day!! (how many animal control officers work on Christmas day?) Especially if your trying to "hide" this dog knowing it's illegal, wouldn't you take even more care??

I'm not trying to flame people who have lost dog's I just think this is a publicity scam (on her part) and i think if this person truly "loved" this dog, she never would have taken it in the first place, she would have made sure he had a loving home in another province, or in the states. But that doesn't seem to be what she want's she want's to fight it, but is depending on pit lovers to pay for her fight, I'm sure if she offered to re-home him in a pit friendly place, there would be no problem.

clm
January 17th, 2008, 01:31 PM
The pup was 10 months old, and it was winter, and animal control found this pup on Christmas day?? I don't think this pup was being properly supervised, because really, this dog must have been loose a long time for animal control to have caught it on Christmas day!! (how many animal control officers work on Christmas day?) Especially if your trying to "hide" this dog knowing it's illegal, wouldn't you take even more care??

I'm not trying to flame people who have lost dog's I just think this is a publicity scam (on her part) and i think if this person truly "loved" this dog, she never would have taken it in the first place, she would have made sure he had a loving home in another province, or in the states. But that doesn't seem to be what she want's she want's to fight it, but is depending on pit lovers to pay for her fight, I'm sure if she offered to re-home him in a pit friendly place, there would be no problem.

Absolutely.....if she loved the dog she never should have taken it. You can make your point and try to fight the breed ban, but I wouldn't risk the life of a 10 month old pup to make my point. The breed ban is bad, no doubt about it, but until it's no longer on the books, you don't get a pit bull pup in Ontario unless you're willing to take the chance that the province may find out and have the dog destroyed.

Cindy

rainbow
January 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I agree with happycats and clm. Hopefully they can get the poor puppy out of province before it pays the price. I rather doubt that AC would release it for that reason though so it would have to be done illegally. :evil:

kiara
January 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
If this breed of dog is illegal in Ontario, she should not have bought this breed in the first place! Does she think she is above the law???? Sorry I don't agree with the public. Why take unnecessary chances? I would never get this type of dog (even if it was legal in my province). I don't agree with euthanizing this dog, maybe someone from another province could adopt it? I have recently seen a woman working in a pet food store (in Quebec) and noticed the stitches on her face. I asked her what happened and she told me her friend's pit bull bit her on her face. What if she lost an eye?

glitterless
January 18th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I agree that she shouldn't have had the dog in the first place. He's young enough that the ban was obviously in effect before she got him.

I'm hoping that he was at least some kind of rescue and that she is not supporting the illegal breeding of pit bulls. People who defy these laws are only making it worse for those of us who are against the ban in the first place.

Longblades
January 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I have to agree with all the other posters. I don't support the ban but to endanger the dog's life by knowingly obtaining a banned breed, or unknowingly and thus being an ignorant pet owner, is a poor reflection on both the dogs and their owners.

kit1469
January 18th, 2008, 11:06 AM
this is so sad!! i agree with u all when u say that she souldnt have got it ... why risk its life!?!?! its also very sad to see that so many people are against the breed in general... there are good people and bad people .. its the same with all animals .. all shouldnt be punished for the mistakes of one ... also the owners of the dog have a big effect on its temperment later on ...

Love4himies
January 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Wonder where she got the dog from. Is there somebody continuing to breed Pit Bulls in Ontario, risking all the puppys' lives?????

Chris21711
January 18th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Yup there is idiots still breeding pitties and pittie X's. Knowing what I know about DOLA it is really unlikely that they will give that little guy the chance to re-locate.

happycats
January 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Yes there are so many idoits still breeding and selling these dogs!! I have seen them listed a few websites.:sad:
destroying the dog isn't the answer.....Jail time and huge fines for the offenders and a ban from owning any pet is the only way it can be stopped. I do not promote the ban, but as long as it's here and there are fools still breeding, the only ones who pay the price are the poor dog!

Chris21711
January 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I noticed on the Toronto Humane Society website that they have offered to find a place for Rambo out of province if Animal Services will release him to them. That would be his only chance, hopefully they will. They also have a Rambo Blog if anyone would like to add to it.

ancientgirl
January 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I hope Animal Services allows him to be taken by Humane Society. :pray:

TinaMcq
January 22nd, 2008, 06:11 AM
I do not agree with the ban however if the breed is banned she should not have gotten that dog. I think any dog can be good or bad it is how they are brought up at home.. any dog can turn on anyone at anytime....my oponion.

Chris21711
October 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Read in the Toronto Star yesterday that a Judge ruled that Rambo be allowed to be shipped out of Province. The article states that he will be turned over to Ador-a-Bull local rescue and shipped to Nova Scotia.

The article also states that Mississauga has since changed its policy and now allows dogs like Rambo to be sent to another Province where Pit Bulls are allowed. They are holding 3 or 4 other Pit Bulls awaiting trial.

Article also continues to say that in the past year shelter staff have euthanized other Pit Bulls, but could not say how many. :yell::sad:

chico2
October 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Chris,I was reading that too,at least he did not get a death-sentence:dog:
It seems at least Mississauga are easing up on the automatic killing of Pit-Bulls:thumbs up
As far as I know Rambo had never done anything to hurt anyone,it was the owners fault he got out.

wdawson
October 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
:thumbs up great news and chalk one up for the little guy.

Hogansma
October 11th, 2008, 06:14 PM
What was the owner thinking???? She put her own happiness before the life of her puppy. This is just plain immature thinking and she needs to grow up. I have no sympathy for her but my heart goes out to poor Rambo. How can people be so stupid!!

And then to move the poor puppy to another province? Here in BC we have heaps of pit bulls and crosses in all the shelters. (Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the breed) but room to take on Ontario's too? I'm not sure about that.

Again, some poor innocent puppy will suffer for a decision of a stupid owner. :wall: