Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any other cities have to licence their cats?

Dracko
January 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Here in Saskatoon we now have to licence all of our cats. :yell: What a pain in the ass. It is $15/year if your cat is fixed and $60 if not.

The real problem I have is that its always the RESPONSIBLE pet owners who comply with these types of laws so the people they are targeting still get away with being irresponsible. Plus we already have a bylaw that doesn't allow for cats to roam free. So, theoretically the cats shouldn't be outside in the first place unattended or on a leash.

I would hope all responsible owners have their pets microchipped in case they do get out so the licence really isn't necessary. I've never had a case in all of my adult years (I'm 40) that one of my cats got out and went missing so maybe I'm just not that sympathetic.

Pisses me off that I have to poney up $75/year in addition to my dog's licence and you know full well that the people who have cats that they let roam free will NOT do the same.

pbpatti
January 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Edmonton has had the "cat bylaw" for a number of years now. I agree with you draco that it is the population that lets their pets roam free without a care that htis bylaw will not bother, you and I (I have no cat but would lic if needed) are the ones who would pay the city what it wants. patti

clm
January 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM
City of Mississauga requires cats be licensed too.

Cindy

meg4050
January 16th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Toronto and London too.

sugarcatmom
January 16th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Add Calgary to the list.

rainbow
January 17th, 2008, 12:55 AM
We don't have to here. We don't even have to license our dogs outside city limits.

phoozles
January 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM
You don't have to here - it came up at a town meeting and was thrown out. :shrug:

breeze
January 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM
we have to here in montreal and the is a bylaw that requires people to not let their cats roam,( but no one pays attention to that) there is also a bylaw saying you are only aloud I think if memroy sever me right 2cats, but there is a grandfather claws if you had more than 3 cats before the bylaw, you were aloud to keep them..

we also have to licence our dogs and we are only aloud 2 dogs per house.. They must were their tags at all times or be fined..

SARAH
January 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Pincourt allows 4 cats
or 3 cats and 1 dog
or 2 cats and 2 dogs
or 1 cat but still max 2 dogs
all need to be tagged.

hazelrunpack
January 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Many of the cities and villages in WI have licensing requirements for cats (Eau Claire did) but most of the smaller townships (like this one) do not. Our township does, however, have a licensing requirement for dogs, though no limit on numbers. :D

happycats
January 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Add Oshawa Ontario to the list too.

If your cat is altered and microchipped you can buy a lifetime licence.

there is a 3 cat limit for unaltered cats, no limit for altered cats.......although I think they are tryng are trying to put a limit on it, as we have had hoarding problems, one house was even closed down by the health department.

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2008, 07:17 PM
It's not required here in Florida but for one county, I don't live in it so I don't have to. But I can sympathize with those that do. If you have more than one cat then you've got a good chunk of change you have to come up with every year.

Dracko
January 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Add Oshawa Ontario to the list too.

If your cat is altered and microchipped you can buy a lifetime licence.

I think that would be the best way to do it. There is no way I'm gonna be on time each year renewing it. It's always one of those "I'll do it later" type things.

happycats
January 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I think that would be the best way to do it. There is no way I'm gonna be on time each year renewing it. It's always one of those "I'll do it later" type things.

They uesd to come door to door, and ask neighbours if they knew who had cat's so they could catch people. But so many people lied and complained, that they don;t come door to door anymore.

Back when I first moved here I bought the life time ones, and you only had to show proof of spay/neuter then, they just added the microchiping in the last couple years.

krdahmer
January 17th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I wish we did here, I would gladly pay the fees if it meant that even a few irresponsible people would be discouraged from an 'impulse' pet! And I know there is a by-law here about no more than 3 dogs/ 3 cats per home, but I did inquire with the HS and was informed that the limit is only enforced if necessary (hoarders, people not properly caring for them). Plus I'd like to see someone try to take one of my cats.... they'd have to watch out for MY claws!!! And a good swift kick in the crotch! :o

Dracko
January 17th, 2008, 11:21 PM
When I moved to S'toon I hadn't yet gotten a dog licence for Dracko. I had one from the city I lived in, of course, but hadn't done the deed in the new city.

An Animal Control Officer came by the house one day inquiring about what pets we had. Quite obviously he could tell I had a dog cuz Dracko barks his head off at all strangers. I wasn't sure if cats had to be licenced at that time and I lied saying I had "a" cat as well. He said, "Yes, I see that." One of the cats was at the top of the stairs. All of a sudden I thought, "***** I hope the REST of them don't come to the door, too." :pray: I'd have looked like an idiot.

wolfcat
January 29th, 2008, 06:13 AM
oops... new her, didn't se this thread.

Started one about this over here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48950

Toronto sigh....

chico2
January 29th, 2008, 07:17 AM
As far as I know,here in Oakville there is no cat-licencing.
I don't even think there is a law saying how many cats/dogs you are allowed,but I could be wrong on that one.

Bailey(the Cocker)only was licenced the first couple of years,not anymore..
I don't mind if I had to pay for the cats,but I would want the money to go towards helping with strays and other animal-related problems.

want4rain
January 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM
we have to register cats and dogs. its done through our regular vet when we update rabies shots. whats just amazing is obviously this tax is to support animal control, we have ALWAYS been religiously on time with our tax payments and yet i cant get ANY help from the local AC on the various issues with our neighbors dogs barking. no call backs, no follow ups on complaints, nothing. i understand there are a lot of responsiblities for AC officers but putting on a good public face is quite important in a government run facility.

-ash