Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to desensitize to outerwear?!

zztopp
January 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM
LOL that title sounds funny ;)

I bought my Golden Retriever a lovely dog coat. Before you all bug your eyes out and start laughing, its for a good reason!! :p Kass gets the 'top' coat clipped off at the groomers, since my mom and I are allergic to dogs ... and because Kass likes to roll in yucky things when she's outside. So, that leaves her coat not very waterproof, but fairly warm.

But I worry. Hence buying the coat!! ;)

She only wears it outside when its really cold or really wet. And whenever I want her to stay squeaky clean!

Here is the coat I bought her: http://www.greenhawk.ca/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-BLS1590.html?L+scstore+mlhb4236ff2b152b+1200535501
(this years model, which is the one I bought, is a bit better. It allows more shoulder movement)

The coat fits her very well, its actually a bit big so it doesn't restrict her movement whatsoever!!

Whenever I put it on her, she 'shuts down' and won't move unless I puta leash on her. Then she'll move, but very hesitantly ... I always try to associate the coat with 'happy' things; tennis ball time, treats and extra attention ... if I let her loose then she just sits stock still and looks worried!!

Sigh ... any tips!? :confused:

Lukka'sma
January 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I don't have any tips to help you out here, sorry. I know if I put a coat on Lukka she would give me the same reaction your dog gives you. I can't even put a bandana on her. Maybe the people that have success at dressing their dogs have done so since the puppy stage.

shelleyb
January 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I have a similar coat that I got for my golden Molly (18 months) except is bright yellow and has two reflective strips on it. She wears it for her morning walk (we walk early and its dark) We've been doing it for a month or so now. We first put it on her in the house and made a fuss over her in it (she looks soooooooo cute in it) and gave her treats and such so after a week I could put it on her with no issues whatsoever. I think she likes to wear it, altho it could just be that she knows she's going for a walk and not being taking out just to pee.

Now I bought her boots when it was so cold and she would lifting her paws up after being outside for just a few minutes but I can only get 2 on her and then it becomes a wrestling match - her trying to get off the two while I try to put on the other two. I have given up on those.

jessi76
January 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM
just start slowly - keep it positive - and work up to wearing it for longer periods of time. My dog wears a coat - it's necessary - he's a short haired breed w/ a nearly bald belly. he wears it because he literally shivers without it, but he doesn't necessarily enjoy it. more like "tolerates" it.

sounds like you're doing it right, keep it positive. it'll take time and repetition, just like everything else.

phoozles
January 17th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Whenever I put it on her, she 'shuts down' and won't move unless I puta leash on her. Then she'll move, but very hesitantly ... I always try to associate the coat with 'happy' things; tennis ball time, treats and extra attention ... if I let her loose then she just sits stock still and looks worried!!

Sigh ... any tips!? :confused:

:laughing: Sorry - that reminds me of when I first put a harness on my kitty and went to take him outside - the moment he went outside he just sat there, and I couldn't make him move no matter what I tried!

I agree with the others - get her used to wearing it in the house - she'll come around. Good luck! :thumbs up

tonkamcd
January 17th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I found with our boxer that she totally freaked out with the coat and boots, however I put them on her each and everytime she had to go out (even if it was just in the backyard to go pee, or if the weather was ok to go without them that day) she had to put them on before she could go out, it's kinda like the idea that everytime your dog see's his/her leash, they get all excited, it took like two days to adjust to the coat, and maybe a week to adjust to the boots, but now anytime i even move them she's all over them thinking we're going for a walk. I don't mind giving treats as encouragement either, but i'm not a big fan of any sort coddling for behaviour i don't like, if our boxer had just kinda sat outside and looked worried I would try just ignoring the behaviour, but then when she's co operating with what your doing, tonnes of praise and excitement. I learned the hard way that the best care of your pet comes in the order of training, exercise, and then affection........ or wait maybe it was exercise, training, and then affection ?? oh well lol, i never said my dogs were perfect either !!