Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog is bloated but it doesn't sound like BLOAT

Sherbear
January 16th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site but I came across it when I was searching the web for information. I hope someone can give me good advice here.

My dog Casper is 13 years old. He's obese and not the most active dog but up until a month ago, he's been healthy and happy. I took him to the vet a couple of weeks ago because he started looking bloated and not having bowel movements. They diagnosed him with Colitis and put him on meds. He did seem to slightly perk up after a couple of days and then slowly started declining again. He often squats to have a bowel movement but cannot and then he exhausts himself and needs to lie down for a moment to get his strength back. He had diarrhea for a night, pretty bad, so stupid me made him scrambled eggs because I heard that would help. That was like 3 or 4 days ago and he's back to squatting and having nothing come out at all. He's miserable, lethargic, lifeless almost, barely lifts his head to look at me. I called the vet today and stayed home to be with him. They told me to give him Metamucel for a couple of days and see if that doesn't help. But I'm scared. He's bloated so much and I just don't see life in his eyes. I'm panicked that I should do more than I am!!! No vomiting though. Every night I go to bed worrying that he won't be alive in the morning, and every morning he hasn't failed me, sometimes even seems better. But I don't think he's ever been as bad as he is tonight! It can't be bloat, right, since he's not vomiting or trying too? Thank you in advance for your time!

luckypenny
January 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM
We can not answer your questions! PLEASE take your dog to an emergency vet NOW as his condition may be life-threatening! THere's no time to waste.

I don't mean to scare you, but you must understand that no one here can diagnose your dog. Please go quick and post back after your visit. :fingerscr

Frenchy
January 16th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Wow , this IS an emergency !!!! Why are you still log on here ? You should be on your way to the vet ....

coppperbelle
January 16th, 2008, 08:14 PM
It could be a number of things that are making him ill. Please take him to an emergency vet and have him checked out.

badger
January 16th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Maybe see if you can find a different vet. How did s/he conclude that it was colitis? And who would prescribe Metamucil for a dog with colitis? Not earning his/her money, in my opinion.
Something else is going on. Don't delay.
And when you get him well again :fingerscr, do try to work on his weight, even a daily walk around the block would help.
Good luck.

Sherbear
January 16th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I'm off to the er now. I had to wait until my husband came home because I don't think he's going to get up and walk for me. I struggled wanting to wait until morning because of the cost but I told my husband that, if Casper died tonight, I would hate myself for not doing everything I could. I just wish I would've taken him to the vet today. Thank you for your concern and advice! I'll give you an update later!!

Frenchy
January 16th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I have to say I'm relieved you're taking your dog to the ER. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

luckypenny
January 16th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Good luck Sherbear!

the gang
January 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
fingers and toes crossed good luck

phoozles
January 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Any word on Casper? :fingerscr

Sherbear
January 17th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Casper didn't make it. They found a mass on his spleen. The surgery to remove his spleen was this afternoon at 4:30. I was so pumped though because I had myself convinced I'd have my baby back in no time and all would go back to normal. But, he was ate up with cancer so I had to make a decision. The vet said that I could allow them to cut as much out as they could and give him a couple of more months of life but those couple of months would not be good ones for him. It was, IS, so hard. I will miss him so much. He really was my best friend. The good thing was that I sat with him until they put him to sleep for the surgery so my voice and face were the last things he heard before putting him under. That's little comfort but it's what I'm clinging too. I wish I would have thought that he might not pull out of it though. I don't feel like my goodbye to him was good enough. But, in all reality, is it ever? At least I got 13 years with him and I'm thankful. He's been to the vet so many times this year that it was obvious he was declining every day. Just lov'em while you hav'em! That's all I can say. Time goes by fast and how I do anything to turn back the time and be able to hug him one more time. Thanks for all of the concern. It's nice to be able to share my sadness with people that understand what it's like to be so attached to their animal.

hazelrunpack
January 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I'm sorry about Casper, Sherbear. :grouphug: You did the compassionate thing, though, letting him go when you did. And you gave him 13 years of love. That was quite a gift.

:candle: Casper

luckypenny
January 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Sherbear, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Cherish all the happiness and memories Casper has blessed your life with. He was one very lucky soul to have someone love him as much as you.

:candle: RIP Casper

satchelp
January 17th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry for your loss Sherbear.

Frenchy
January 17th, 2008, 09:19 PM
omg I am so sorry :sad: I'm glad you were able to say goodbye , that you were with him. :grouphug: I know how heartbreaking it is , many people here know that pain too well. I am so sorry.

Rest in peace dear Casper. :candle:

14+kitties
January 17th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I am so sorry. Rest in peace sweet Casper. :candle:

want4rain
January 17th, 2008, 10:14 PM
:cry:

:candle:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

-Author Unknown

-ash

loopoo
January 17th, 2008, 11:01 PM
:candle:

i can never find the words for these types of posts...
:grouphug:

RIP pupper

growler~GateKeeper
January 18th, 2008, 01:37 AM
:rip: sweet :angel2: :dog: Casper :candle:

rainbow
January 18th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Casper :sad: ......he will always leave pawprints on your heart. :pawprint: My deepest condolences to you and your husband. :grouphug: :candle:

Love4himies
January 18th, 2008, 07:08 AM
So sorry for your loss of Casper :grouphug:. Sounds like you gave Casper a wonderful 13 years!

phoozles
January 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM
:rip: Casper

You gave him 13 great years - and now he's running free, free of pain.

:candle: So sorry for your loss. :grouphug: