Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Never underestimate the intelligence of a cat.

ancientgirl
January 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I got home today like every other day. Except today was different.

Usually I come in and Czarina is happily laying in her bed and has no interest in the outside world. Today, the second I opened the door, she bolted out. I tried to coax her inside but she walked further down the hall. I closed the door and walked slowly after her, but I didn't want to scare her since she was close to the railing and I live on the 4th floor.

I followed her. She got her bearings and found the stairs. She walked down and straight to Miguel's office. She sat in front of the closed door, then walked and looked around the corner to the outside gates.

She was looking for him. I couldn't get her to follow me and when I tried to pick her up she'd get further away from me. I sat down next to Miguel's office and she came and sat next to me. I decided to leave her there. It's obvious she didn't want to stay here any longer and she was looking for her daddy.

I realize now that she'd missed him like he missed her. It's understandable and I never even took the time to think about it. He's taken care of her all these years and I just took her from the person she knew and that she saw as her caregiver.

I'll go outside a little later and see how she's doing. I left her a bowl of food and some fresh water. I've no doubt she'll be okay.

I'll pack up her things, her bowls a few toys, some catnip mice and the pyramid bed. Then I'll put them in the carrier and take it downstairs to Miguel tomorrow morning.

I'm very sad that she didn't feel at home here, but I know that she never could have. She was already happy before I brought her here.

jiorji
January 16th, 2008, 06:41 PM
awwww that's a cute story.

They say pets choose who they want as their owner;)

ancientgirl
January 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM
You're right. She just wasn't happy here, I realize that now more than before.

H.P.
January 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Wow, isn't it odd how things work out? I am sure that Czarina had a reason to come stay with you while she did, you know, she could have run out anytime that door opened. Either you or one of your resident cats needed to learn something form her, or she needed to learn something from one of you (JMO). Things work out the way they should. Will she get to keep her name? It is beautiful.

ancientgirl
January 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Wow, isn't it odd how things work out? I am sure that Czarina had a reason to come stay with you while she did, you know, she could have run out anytime that door opened. Either you or one of your resident cats needed to learn something form her, or she needed to learn something from one of you (JMO). Things work out the way they should. Will she get to keep her name? It is beautiful.

This all happened for a reason. Miguel realized how much he really loved her, she realized he was her person, and I realized, that even though you think you are doing the right thing, it might just be for selfish reasons.

I've also learned that I have probably reached my maximum capacity for kitties where I presently live. There's enough room for us five and really, things were running smoothly. I had come to really love Czarina, but I have to let her go.

She'll keep her name as far as on record at my vet and I've still got her insurance which I will continue to pay for.

Miguel was calling her Misu, so that's what he'll probably keep calling her.

14+kitties
January 16th, 2008, 07:19 PM
How beautiful is that? :cry: She will be happier. You have done a wonderful thing bringing her in and getting her insurance and all. At least you know Czarina (Misu) is happy and healthy and Miguel loves her to bits.

ancientgirl
January 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I don't feel as bad as I did on Monday. I was absolutely distraught on Monday. But today, I at leas know she will be in the right place.

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I went downstairs this morning and talked to Miguel. He said he was surprised to see her there this morning, but when I told him the story of how she got there, he was amazed. And when I told him that she actually had looked into the parking lot to see if his car was there he really was amazed. He said "And people think animals don't know anything."

I gave him the carrier with her pyramid bed inside. I gave him the off the floor plates and another really cute square bowl for water I'd gotten at Petco yesterday. I also gave him my business card with my cell and the vet's card.

I'll have to cancel her appointment on Saturday because he's not going to be able to take her, but he said that when he had a chance, he'd call me and let me know what Saturday he'd be free and I'll make the appointment and meet him there.

I started to cry a little but he told me that she would be taken very good care of. He showed his wife the pictures I'd given him of her and she said that she was a beautiful cat. His wife loves animals so I know she will take care of Czarina as well.

I'm very sad, but I'm happy that she now actually has a home. I hope she is happy there.

And here's an interesting thing. I think Vlad actually missed her. He kept walking over to where I kept her and meowing. I finally had to turn the light on and let him walk around so that he could see she wasn't there anymore. And last night he slept upstairs with the rest of us for the first time since I brought Czarina home.

amatazes
January 17th, 2008, 09:11 AM
so adorable. You can do one of two things. Wait for her to get used to it or put her back where you got her from.

Jim Hall
January 17th, 2008, 10:12 AM
that's so cool So it workrd out great Miguel realises he's for her and so does Czarina

Tht's one of the reasons I work for here kitty kitty doing adoptions it os so rewarding when a cat and a human find each other.

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM
When he told me he realized he'd missed her I thought he would be the best person to have her back. But when he told me his wife wanted him to bring her to their house, I was thrilled! The mere fact she will actually have a home is a dream. She's not going to be wandering around looking for food. She'll be fed regularly, and watched over and cared for. That's the best thing that came out of all of this.:)

krdahmer
January 17th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Glad to hear she picked her forever home. :grouphug:

I was also so happy when my 'papa' foster finally got adopted from petsmart, he had found a wonderful home and I hear he likes to hang out with his male owner watching the game... :lovestruck: But the day I went to see him and he was gone, I too cried, you just can't help but get attached. It's bitter sweet... you hate to see them go, but are so happy they have a home. You did a wonderful thing for Czarina, and she now has a chance at a better life. :cat:

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I'm very happy I was able to touch her life, but she touched mine so much more.

I don't regret helping her, but I don't think I could ever foster. This has been so emotional for me. I've been crying for days. When I left Miguel I left crying, and I turned and saw Czarina following me. I cried even more.

I will pray every day that she is happy in her home and she lives a long healthy life with her new family. The good thing is I can often go down and talk to Miguel about her, so that makes me feel better to know I will always know how she's doing.

clm
January 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I'm so happy it's all working out for you.
She may not be happy at his house either, she may want to be at the office. He'll find that out soon enough.
I'll never underestimate the intelligence of a cat, way smarter than people for sure.

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I'm hoping she's happy at his home. She just wanted to be with him, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed things will work out for her.

Love4himies
January 18th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Sounds like she did pick Miguel for her owner, some cats have as much loyalty as dogs. She was probably looking to see if he was coming from the parking lot because that would be where she would be watching for him in the mornings.

Have you stop to think that Czarina would not have been adopted by Miguel had you not taken the first step to bring her indoors? That he would not have realized how much he missed her when she was with you? That it was meant to be that you "fostered" Czarina to get these steps in motion so she would end up in a secure home?

ancientgirl
January 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Sounds like she did pick Miguel for her owner, some cats have as much loyalty as dogs. She was probably looking to see if he was coming from the parking lot because that would be where she would be watching for him in the mornings.

Have you stop to think that Czarina would not have been adopted by Miguel had you not taken the first step to bring her indoors? That he would not have realized how much he missed her when she was with you? That it was meant to be that you "fostered" Czarina to get these steps in motion so she would end up in a secure home?

Yes, she does spend time with him in the mornings, so she was certainly looking for him.

I have thought that maybe my taking her in was meant to be. When I mentioned to him that I was looking for a home for her, his face got this look of sadness. That's when he asked me to bring him back to him because he really missed her. I guess he just didn't realize how much she meant to him until she was taken away. All I wanted was to give her a good home, and now I figure, even though it's not with me, I do know she will have a good home and she will be loved.

Jim Hall
January 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM
i couldnt sgree more you did a wonderfull thing
lot's of good karma points for ya

I have fostered at times throughout my life and slthough I miss the fosters I have had I get an immense feeling of satisfaction that one of god's cretures now have a loving home .

ancientgirl
January 18th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I commend all of you that foster regularly. I don't know if this is something I could do on a regular basis. It's been very emotional and I've had days this week when all I want to do is sit and cry, even though I'm very happy for my little Czarina.

I can't even look at her picture without getting teary eyed.

kit1469
January 18th, 2008, 10:51 AM
congardaulations on everything .. i hope it gets easier for u to be without her .. ive been folloeing ur story and im so glad that it has a happy ending i no u will miss her but at least u will no that she will be okay and happy and can ask about her... u did a wonderfull thing take comfort in the fact that u were the one who made it possible for her to have a wonderfull loving home ... :grouphug:

ancientgirl
January 18th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Thank you. I am happy that at least I will be able to follow her progress, and I'm still going to be taking her to the vet for her yearly visits. I told Miguel I'd take care of her vet costs and her insurance.

At least she's not completely gone for me.

phoozles
January 18th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I commend all of you that foster regularly. I don't know if this is something I could do on a regular basis. It's been very emotional and I've had days this week when all I want to do is sit and cry, even though I'm very happy for my little Czarina.

I can't even look at her picture without getting teary eyed.

I think this was a tougher "foster" for you because you didn't intend for it to be so. You might find it easier if you knew going ahead that your house was just a waiting room for a forever home. :shrug:

Either way, I'm glad there's a happy ending to this story and your four felines will have order restored! :) :thumbs up