Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lab-results,Rocky

chico2
January 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I got the phonecall,from yet another vet,i've never met..
Anyway,his Thyroid Levels have skyrocketed(her words)to 170,so he will be taking 1/2 5mg pill twice a day,then retested in 4 weeks.
There was something about his liver,but she told me not to panic:yell:
I'll pick up the copy of the results tomorrow and post it here.

JanM
January 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I'm sorry your kitty got less than wonderful results from the tests! I hope and pray all goes well and there's really nothing happening for you both!

krdahmer
January 16th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Oh no... well try to listen to her and not panick and until you get the results... lots of hugs and :goodvibes: for you and Rocky both!!!:grouphug::grouphug::pray:

happycats
January 16th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Oh I'm so sorry, and please don't panic, I'm sure this can all get better with meds? :grouphug: for you and Rocky

luckypenny
January 16th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Things will be much more clear once you're able to discuss the results and appropriate treatment plans with your vet, Chico2. In the meantime :grouphug: and :goodvibes: to both you and Rocky.

badger
January 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Poor Rocky, more dumb pills! Try not to worry, Chico, an adjustment to his meds might even take care of the diarrhea. Don't you just love it :evil: when the vet calls and gives you just enough info to freak you out and bloody little comfort.

sugarcatmom
January 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Awww, poor Rocky. But hey, look on the bright side: at least now you have something to go on. And liver issues are often secondary to other problems, which in this case is quite likely the unregulated hyperT. So once that comes under better control, Rocky's liver will return to normal (and probably his poop problem as well). In the meantime, you could ask your vet about Denamarin (http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/animal/denamarin/) for liver support.

14+kitties
January 16th, 2008, 07:13 PM
:grouphug: for Rocky and you. Let's hope once you have a chance to talk to the vet face to face he will explain more and tell you the treatment that will work the best for the big boy. :grouphug::goodvibes:

Frenchy
January 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Poor Rocky, more dumb pills! Try not to worry, Chico, an adjustment to his meds might even take care of the diarrhea.

That's what I was thinking too. We all have our paws cross here for you and Rocky ! :fingerscr

shredy
January 16th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I know it is easier said than done, but.... try not to worry until you know what the bloodwork is. I am sorry Rocky isn't feeling good, but hopefully adjusting his meds will do the trick :fingerscr The thyroid is tricky and meds do have to be adjusted, it is better to undermedicate, than overmedicate! How long has he been hyperthyroid (you didn't say, but I am assuming since it is more common in cats)

Luba
January 16th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Don't worry just yet Anita, a friend of mine had the very same thing with his cat and the vet was head strong for surgical removal of the thyroid. However, just two months later the situation turned around completely.

(hugs to you and Rocky)

There is always hope for something to get better.
xoxoxoxo

growler~GateKeeper
January 17th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Don't ya love when they say "don't panic" :rolleyes: what else do they expect us to do :yell: :rolleyes: :grouphug:

:fingerscr for improvment w/adjustment in the meds, I sure hope the liver issue is just a result of the med dosage :goodvibes:

:grouphug:

rainbow
January 17th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Hopefully with the adjustment to his thyroid medication his liver issue will resolve itself. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

I agree with sugarcatmom about the Denamarin....I've heard good things about it helping the liver. :thumbs up

chico2
January 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM
OMG,what would I do without you guys explaining things to me:confused:
I have dealt with cancer,diabities(sp?),UTI in cats,but never Thyroid problems,Liver etc..
I am not really a panicky type of person,I learned through my sons medical problems to stay level-headed and calm,most of the time,I just need to be informed:sad:
Rocky is actually doing fine,inspite of his problem,he's a happy,playful kitty,eats everything in sight,drinks his water but when the vet said,watch for lethargy,loss of appetite,vomitting etc...I got a little worried,he is far from lethargic and does not vomit:fingerscr
The vet(s) will not consult with me on anything without charging another $56,don't get me wrong,I am not cheap or unwilling to pay for Rockys wellbeeing,but a 10 min talk should not cost $56:yell:
But maybe I should just get with the times:laughing:my former vet would not charge me for a question,but maybe she was too kind,that's why she ended up selling her practice to these people..:confused:

Also,I am NOT feeding Rocky Hills Dry food,maybe that's why they are not very forthcoming:shrug:
Well,that was my rant for today:laughing:going to pick up the copy of the lab-work today..probably mumbo-jumbo to me..I will ask her about the Denamrin,is it something only the vet carries?
Dahmer,Frenchy it's not"another"pill,just a little more and I have no problem giving it to him in a teaspoon of food,he just laps it up:thumbs up

Lukka'sma
January 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Rocky and Chico, I sure hope this turns around and gets under control soon.

amatazes
January 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM
so sorry, keep at it though. the poor thing.

phoozles
January 17th, 2008, 12:06 PM
The good news is that he's playing, eating and drinking like a normal kitty :thumbs up. Hopefully everything will bounce back soon. :fingerscr
Are you going to pick up your results and take them to the other vet?
:grouphug:

Frenchy
January 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I can't believe this vet would charge you $56.00 just to explain things to you !! It's her job to do so ! You already pay for the test , why would they charge you to explain the results :wall:

loopoo
January 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
here is one link that describes what some of those bloodtests mean

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/lab.aspx

best wishes for Rocky

again, pumpkin, as well as a probiotic, or slippery elm, are all natural and may help regulate his tummy.

rainbow
January 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I can't believe this vet would charge you $56.00 just to explain things to you !! It's her job to do so ! You already pay for the test , why would they charge you to explain the results :wall:

:eek: I agree and would be finding a new vet PDQ. The new vet will be able to get all the cats records from that vet without any problems. :o

I will ask her about the Denamrin,is it something only the vet carries?

Yes, it is. It is basically a combination of SAM-e and Milk Thistle which you can get at any health food store or pharmacy. You would have to ask your vet about dosages though. :o

hazelrunpack
January 17th, 2008, 02:44 PM

I agree! If you still have questions, they didn't do a good job of explaining everything in the first place! They sure shouldn't charge for another explanation! :frustrated: I'm so glad you're going to try that other vet!

Meanwhile, :grouphug:s to Rocky and :fingerscr for nice poopies! :cat:

rainbow
January 17th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Chico, I just posted a reply in your other thread. One of the side effects of Tapazole is hepatotoxicity which may explain the liver issues in Rocky's test results.

chico2
January 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM
First,yes,if I were to ask her to explain the test-results,it would be a consultation and it would cost me $56.

I have the lab-results right here and thank's Rainbow for the explanation site:thumbs up
There are 3 things in darker print,kind of highlighted and they are:
ALP result: 99 reference is 10-85,so thats high.
ALT result: 155 reference 5-110 so that too is high.
Hemoglobin result: 158 reference 80-150
MCHC result: 377 reference 290-360 also high.
Everything else is in normal range.

chico2
January 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM
SooLoo,I have tried the Slippery Elm pills for a couple of weeks did not really do the trick.
The vet swore up and down,Tapazole was not the cause of his runny poop:wall:
I would like to try the pumpkin,but if this is a cronic problem,it probably will not help.
I am seeing the vet(s) again in 4 weeks,for retesting after the increase and that will be it for those vets.
I will be going to see this new vet(highly recommended) and get a feel for him,the only drawback,it's further away,the cats will be howling for 15 min rather than 5:laughing:
I am sorry I am making such a big deal out of this,when there is Lukka facing surgery,poor Sam with cancer and all the other seriously ill cats/dogs.:sorry:

hazelrunpack
January 17th, 2008, 05:17 PM
:grouphug: He's your BABY, chico! Don't feel bad about worrying about him! We all worry, too! :grouphug:

breeze
January 17th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I am sorry I am making such a big deal out of this,when there is Lukka facing surgery,poor Sam with cancer and all the other seriously ill cats/dogs.:sorry:

no need to feel sorry chico.. look at me I was very worried about Bree's weight, not that she is sick just that she was under weight last vet visit...

if we keep things bottled up we will all explode!! and what a mess someone else would have to clean up....

you love rocky and soooo we worry.. it's ok..

rainbow
January 17th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Chico, I don't think you're making a big deal out of this at all. But I do think that you should switch vets right away and let them do the re-testing. :o

14+kitties
January 17th, 2008, 10:17 PM
:grouphug: You are a caring, loving pet owner. It is natural to worry. We all do. :grouphug:
And I agree, a new vet is better now than later. Just my :2cents::o

loopoo
January 17th, 2008, 11:05 PM
probiotic may not hurt... helps restore good bacteria, and kill the bad, especially if this is somehow medication induced. Pumpkin most definitely can help, good you are seeing another vet, i hope the link above helps, it explains alot of the terms on the blood test charts. Hope all goes well.

growler~GateKeeper
January 18th, 2008, 12:34 AM
First,yes,if I were to ask her to explain the test-results,it would be a consultation and it would cost me $56.

Does this vet do Call-Backs? without charge? :fingerscr

My reg vet will do call-backs, so if I were to receive blood results & she wanted to talk to me about a value on there she'd call during her return call time - for her usually 2-3 pm or if I had a question, I'd call the reception & ask they make a note for Dr. so & so to call I have a question..blah blah

No charge there :shrug:

rainbow
January 18th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I've never had a vet that charged for call-backs. And, I think it is just outrageous for them to do so. :eek:

growler~GateKeeper
January 18th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I think Chico's vet is charging for a face -to - face consult :frustrated: Cally's vet (different from Duffy's reg vet) never charged for a no animals present consult :shrug: And definately none have charged for a call-back

Love4himies
January 18th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I hope that Rocky's thyroid issue will clear up with meds and his liver will follow suit and clear up as the thyroid goes back to normal :fingerscr. And then when all is cleared up, his digestive system will be back to normal:pray:.

chico2
January 18th, 2008, 08:18 AM
One of the vets called me with the results and what to do about it,at no charge,which is normal.
Face to face with no animal,yes,they charge the standard $56,when I think about it,I guess they have a right to do so,since I take up their time:shrug:.
Well,enough of that..
I have 4 weeks before Rocky is retested,in that time I will go and see the other vet,introduce me and the kitties.
It's just that right now,I cannot bring all 3 for a check-up($$$),which he probably would want,hubby is still a little luke-warm after this weeks $260:cat:
I'll just go and meet him,see if he takes more patients:fingerscr
One more thing,thank's everyone!!! and Rocky certainly is my very special little buddy..

phoozles
January 18th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I think he'll understand if you can't bring in all the cats for a checkup - when we left our :evil: vet (who did charge me constantly, including a $50 boarding fee for keeping Jake there for two hours while they got THEIR technicians ready :frustrated:), and brought Alley to the new one, they didn't force us to bring Jake in - even gave some extra L-Lysine for him at no extra charge! :thumbs up
So some vets - the good ones - will understand - especially if you're coming there from another clinic - they should want to keep you, because they know you have the capability to go to someone else!

Hopefully this all works out quickly and Rocky will be back on the mend! :grouphug:

Chris21711
January 18th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Really the old Vet should make all of your animals records available to the new Vet, just like a Doctor would do. By the sound of your Vet Chico they will probably charge for this service, but I think that it might be worth it. You might have to leave your shirt also :laughing:

rainbow
January 18th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Chico, I don't think the new vet would require you to bring in all three of your kitties right away. I would just go and give them their information, ask them to get your file from the old vet faxed to them and make an appointment for Rocky.

That's what I did here. I decided to switch vets when it was time for Jasmine's annual checkup. When I went in to make her appointment I told them I had another cat and two dogs. They just took down all their information so they had it on file.

TeriM
January 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed that the meds adjustment makes Rocky feel better :fingerscr:goodvibes::fingerscr.

chico2
January 18th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Yes,I have decided to go see the new vet on Monday/Tuesday,Rocky needs another blood-test in 4 weeks and he will have it done with the new vet,if he wants us.
It would be great if our old vet(s)could fax him their records,but I would also like to tell them why I am not happy with their services.
The new vet is a german man in his 50's,I probably will have a better rapport with him,I've been told he is a wonderful guy.
I don't expect to pay much less,it's not really the reason,but sure if he charges less,that would be great.