Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do cats have nightmares ?

Jim Hall
January 16th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Hi So I come home from work yesterday and DU is freaking She is moawing and wont get further away from me than a foot. I feed her and sit woth her while she eats a few bites and she runs into her safe place i go over and pet her and talk to her nice and soft and the poor thing is trembeling!! so after an hour or so she manages to fall asleep

after a while she starts to dream and cry and then sits bolt upright and gives me a squeak i go over and calm her down again

I think i better cut down on the catnip any other suggestions?

Frenchy
January 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I know dogs do but I never heard any of my cats screaming in their sleep :D

clm
January 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I've never had any cats that have had nightmares that I knew about. I'd keep an eye on her, it doesn't sound right to me. Maybe if something happened while you were out to frighten her.

Cindy

Frenchy
January 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I think i better cut down on the catnip

It depends , how much did you take ? :laughing:

Misery's company
January 16th, 2008, 12:05 PM
It depends , how much did you take ? :laughing:

HAHAHA! awesome!

As previously mentioned, I know that dogs do and so I assume cats do also...

Jim Hall
January 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM
lol i got my own ummm human "caatnip" ill tell you it scared the h*** out of me i never saw a cat actually shake before

My vet says maybe it was the c nip and is sendong some lavender oil to help calm her down

ancientgirl
January 16th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Maybe she got a bad batch or something.

SARAH
January 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
are you sure it was catnip? did you actually see the leaves? :evil: :D

But yeah, cats would get bad dreams too I guess, although I must admit I've never seen a cat do other than flicker their eyes or "run" in place while sleeping ...

Kristin7
January 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM
maybe it was Jim's human 'catnip' instead... ? :eek:

Jim Hall
January 16th, 2008, 03:32 PM
aahh no it wasnt my catnip i keep that well secured abd the catnip i gave her i grew myself SO far today she has been ok so im gonna put it down to a bad flashback to when she had been abused and spread some lavender around and cut out the catnip fpr a while

Winston
January 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Jim I would see how she is for the next couple of days! cats may dream but I have never seem mine dream but the dog thats a different story! I know he dreams for sure! some nights I wonder how many girls he is chasing in his sleep or who he is barking at? Maybe there was a load noise or bang! that certainly spooks my boy Bomber! he would be hiding for sure!

Cindy

jiorji
January 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
yes they do! My cat Peanut sometimes meows in her sleep and it's not a regular meow it's like a sad lonely meow.

DU sounds like my peanut when she has bad dreams. When this happens i usually call Peanut or go there and she comes to me running to pet her

my theory is that they get those dreams from their previous abuse :shrug:

Love4himies
January 18th, 2008, 12:48 PM
My Puddles has never been abused, but does have nightmares or something. She meows, her wiskers shake and then she wakes up with a start and is very tense. She is an extremely timid kitty, maybe she has nightmares about a big kitty attacking her?

CyberKitten
January 18th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Ineed they do. They are studies in vet journals indicating that abused cats or cats who have suffered trauma and dream about it sometime meow or wake up and be upset and need cuddling. Cats have a loooooooooooong memories (rather like my Irish ancestors to be honest, lol) and they recall almost every thing that has happened to them.

So, it would be at all unusual for your kitty to whine or meow in a sad way while having a nightmare. I have one rescued meezer who was abused- he is 10 yrs old and I hear him meow sometimes and my other meezer and my 2 sphynxes KNOW and they cuddle with him or if I am there, he comes to me and I pick him up and cuddle him. They can also become easily depressed - they are extremely secretivene creatures, contrary to those who think cats are hearty characters who have nine lives. They are hardy but it requires love, good care , good food and lots of play and attention. I have worked with many av=bused cats and have seen them have nightmares. Poor babies. It is times like that I get so angry at anyone who would hurt a small defenseless animal!

Kristin7
January 19th, 2008, 08:04 AM
this thread is so sad... poor kitties! :sad:

I've never observed my cats dreaming, but my dog does all the time, especially after a good hard romp with other dogs. he barks in his sleep, so cute!

BAILEYSMUDGE
January 19th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Well, we know cats dream... there is no reason why they couldn't have good dreams or bad dreams.... my two have had a good protective home since I got them as very young kittens... but things happen that frighten them... a pot falling off the counter, my DVD's making a noise when Bailey :evil: knocks them off the shelf... anything like that could contribute to bad dreams... their little feet start running in place, the whiskers start to flicker, and a feeble meowing sound... I would imagine the stronger the abusive past, the stronger the dreams... I could see a cat jump up and run and meow... :shrug:

ancientgirl
January 19th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I've seen mine twitching their tails or legs, and sometimes at night I can her Vlad smacking his kitty lips.