Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Query about feline sex...

buxomdiva
January 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Did that get your attention? lol I have a kitten, born July 9th, who appears to be female insofar as she doesn't have the same parts her brother did.

However, "she" has the personality of a tom and is starting to develop a RUFF.

Is it possible for a cat to have undescended testicles?

Is this the most stupid question ever posted on this site?

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/buxomdiva/Picture11.jpg

Darlene

dustybird
January 16th, 2008, 02:21 AM
It's not a stupid question and yes they can have undecended testicles. A vet should be able to tell if she is a he. You can also see how many nipples there are as females have more than males, I think males only have two, or at least my male only has two. Did a vet say she was a she?

Kristin7
January 16th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Yup, one of my friend's cats had that. Actually, he looks much the same as your cat - is that a brown tabby? Anyway, 'Samantha' became 'Sami' after that was figured out.

Love4himies
January 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Yes it is possible and a vet will be able to tell you by a quick physical exam.

buxomdiva
January 16th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks everybody! Jinx hasn't seen a vet yet but I guess I'll have to pull the money together somehow.

Yes (s)he is a brown tabby; I just learned recently from a friend who used ot breed cats that tabbies always have the letter M on their forehead!

chico2
January 16th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I know my cats have 6 nipples,just checked Chico:laughing:not very popular with him:laughing:could be 8,we might have missed a couple:cat:

krdahmer
January 16th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Ya nipples don't really tell ya much... my Buddy(m) has 8, and Windy(f) only 6. I think each cat is different on that one not really a m/f thing.

And he or she.... that kitty is all adorable!:lovestruck:

ancientgirl
January 16th, 2008, 12:23 PM
S(h)e is an adorable kitty there. LOL, looks like she's getting ready to help you do some handy work there.

Vlad and Maks both have nipples. Vlads you can see a little more because he's got little white hair around them. :laughing:

phoozles
January 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I agree with the others - nipples won't tell you much.
Both of my cats came to me as the opposite sex - in that when I got Jake, I was told he was a girl. He was "Marge" for about a week until I notice he had two little furry friends that made his name change to a nice masculine one very quickly. :laughing:
Then when I adopted my latest one, I was told he was a fiesty tabby named Kramer. Well, he didn't have those furry friends - and the vet confirmed that she should be called Alley from now on. :rolleyes:
I hestitated to call Alley a girl right away because I was wondering whether or not they would drop eventually, but a vet visit cleared that up quickly. :shrug:

vfrohloff
January 16th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Yep, several years back I took my kitten Laci into the vet to be "spayed" only to discover that she was a he. I've had cats for many many years and I couldn't believe I couldn't tell the difference. And could I have picked a more feminine name for my male cat? :loser: My vet thought it was hysterically funny. I ended up calling him Lucky instead, I didn't want to damage his male ego by continuing to call him Laci. :rolleyes:

buxomdiva
January 18th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Thanks for sharing all your stories! Yeah it's pretty funny actually; I bought that ladder cause I was tired of climbing on furniture to open/close my windows. I'm in a basement where the windows are 6 ft. up and another foot or so in.
Well I did use it to get up and clean my kitchen cabinets but it hasn't made it as far as the windows yet. However, for $40 it was a pretty cheap cat toy! Beats spending $200 for one of those elaborate things covered with sisal. Jinx can amuse herself (himself?) for ages just running up and down, "skinning the cat" on the steps etc. It's even better if I've thrown a towel over the top to give her something else to play with.

I named the kitten Jinx because it was coming out a$$ first and looked all black; name suited rather well I thought!

glitterless
January 18th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I usually sex them by looking at the distance between the anus and the genitals. It's easy if you have someone else to compare her to ;)

I suppose she could be a hermaphrodite...

rainbow
January 18th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Jinx hasn't seen a vet yet but I guess I'll have to pull the money together somehow.

She/he was born on July 9/07 and hasn't seen a vet yet? :eek: She/he needs to be vaccinated/wormed and then spayed/neutered asap. :pawprint:

buxomdiva
January 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Well I hadn't intended to keep her this long. I only have $200 a month for food, clothing and bills so getting an indoor cat vaccinated and spayed was not at the top of my priorities. Now that I'm concerned she's really a he I'm scrounging to get her to the vet as I'm moving into a new place and the last thing I need is to discover Jinx is a tom when he starts spraying! Although my own sense of smell doesn't work I'm told the smell of boy cat's urine is really strong.

buxomdiva
March 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Well I finally got Jinx into the vet and it turns out I was right the first time. She is a girl - who just happens to have a magnificent ruff!

I had been concerned about getting "him" neutered before "he" started spraying; the vet advised me that it's also more complicated to spay a female once she has her first heat.

Well in a classic case of self-fulfilling prophecy, the very next day Jinx went into heat! :sad:

The vet also showed me her ear mites under the microscope. Nasty little things! He sent home some medication which I can (unofficially) use on the other cats as well. Giving cats ear drops is NOT FUN!!!

Anyway thanks again for all the support everybody.