Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pads On Dogs Paws...

heidiho
June 8th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Question,i have gotten a few different answers,are pads on dogs feet created to walk on pavement that is really hot and be able to withstand that??I say no,i need to get him shoes,it is about 107 here,which means black pavement is probably 150.... :eek:

Kona Dawg
June 8th, 2004, 08:35 PM
ask yourself what came first, dogs or pavement...

while you could get him some boots to help with the hot pavement, a better bet woud be to walk him on grass, or if you must walk on pavement do it in the early morning hours before it has a chance to heat up from the sun.

cutelittlemako
June 9th, 2004, 10:18 AM
When it's hotter than 100 degrees out, I wouldn't walk the dog at all. It's too hot for him - Especially dogs with a thick coat of fur. My boxer has a hard time stading heat over 80 degrees, so I have to know when to draw the line. I'm surprised the dog would even want to go outside when it's that hot. Do you have A/C in your house?

heidiho
June 9th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Well this is phx,az it is always over 100 in the summer,so the dog does still have to go out,yeah he does like to go out when it is hot,and i live in the desert of course i have a/c...I am just gonna go get shoes for him,thanks... :cool: :cool: :cool:

cutelittlemako
June 9th, 2004, 11:39 AM
If the pavement is too hot for you to walk on barefoot, then it probably is too hot for him. I would do as Kona says and just take him out in the morning of later at night, when it gets dark, so the pavement can cool down. Even with shoes, with that heat, your dog could easily overheat - especially a puppy!

heidiho
June 9th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Yeah i dont keep him out to long,being he is long haired and all,and when i am at work i keep the air on 74 for him at home...During the week he doesnt go out to much during the really hot hours,but believe me there are days when it is 115 here,so that means at 10:00 it is still about 100,but at least the sun is down...

cutelittlemako
June 9th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Yeah that's what I mean, the warmth is one thing but having the sun directly on the dog, that's bad. It's really hot in Ottawa right now and I let Mako out in the yard for ten minutes and when he comes back in he is just so hot!

And I know you don't have a choice - that's where you live! At least you can adjust and try to make it more comfortable for him!

Princesss04
June 9th, 2004, 12:00 PM
That is CRAZY hot, we complain when it get 90 degrees here! :eek:

heidiho
June 9th, 2004, 12:39 PM
You have no idea,at about 7:00 a.m. it is about 85,10:00 p.m. it can still be 90.And on the really really hot days it can be 115 to 118..I think back in about 1992 it was 124...It gets friggin hot,but there is no humidity,so it is a dry heat,sweat doesnt pour off you like in humid heat...

Princesss04
June 9th, 2004, 12:45 PM
She when it gets hot where I am from it is humid so it is like a sona. You feel sticky and nasty. No wonder all you people out there have nice tans. All of ours for the most part are fake (tanning bed) LOL!!!! :D Have you tired leaving your baby out in the kitchen yet? I was just wondering how that went? :cool:

heidiho
June 9th, 2004, 01:05 PM
To funny,i actually go to a tanning bed,if i had my own pool i would lay out,but i live in apt.so he would have to be alone for a few hours on the weekend also,and that is our time together,so i go to tanning bed for 15 minutes and i am done,to hot to lay out also,well big mistake yesterday i thought i would let him have the living room and kitchen,cause i left him alone for like a half sunday and he did fine,well he chewed on my coffee table,bottom of my couch,part of the wall,but he didnt go potty,yeah!!! Oh well that was my own fault,he is only gonna be 6 months old on june 20,but i am interviewing a married couple dog walkers,i told them i dont have alot of money,they said they would come over mon & thurs,for 45 minutes at a time to walk him and play a little bit for $10.00 each visit and i could pay 2x a month,so we will see if i like them or not tonight...

Kona Dawg
June 9th, 2004, 05:54 PM
"so it is like a sona"

Sauna, hehe (Finnlander here :))

melanie
June 9th, 2004, 06:12 PM
that married couple is a good idea, i saw an add for a dog walker the other ay and they were paying $10 for a 1hr walk. that is double in US$ so around $20. that is pretty good i think. well we have lived in some peretty hot places, where 110 is a normal daily occurance in summer. i dont walk charlie in that heat esp in the mid day, it is first thing in the morning when that hot, a dogs brian can over heat and kill them, i have heard of it happening in 115 degrees (and dogs cannot sweat which adds to this heating),. but i find that it can be hotter than that and you will find charlie out in the sun baking, she loves it, she will sit in the hot sun all day, and wrap her body around a heater in winter, but i often restrict this behaviour, i dont care if she likes it, i think it is just plain crazy.. when it is really hot i try and encourage her to lie on the bathroom or laundry floor whcih both have tiles or concrete to force her to cool, i also spray her belly with mist and wet face washers. i have a special mat i got from pet supplies, that is put in the freezer and then it stays cold for up to 6 hours i try and get her to lay on this also.

as far as chewing things, welcome to seperation anxiety, oh many of us have had to battle that one over the years. a trick is to not talk to him when you leave or return, just leave the house without fuss and when you come home dont talk to him or touch him until you are in the house for a minute or two, then calmly say hello and praise him. it may seem hard but it is actually better for them and helps lower stress.
please dont walk him in that heat on concrete, it is not good for him :D glad you found a walker im sure he will like that and you can make some new friends :D .

cmt489
June 9th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Sorry Mel - you got the exchange mixed up... :D The US amount is actually a little more than half the Aus $ amount. I just checked a bank's rate calculator and even at bank rates, it costs around $69.00 US to buy $100.00 Aus... :D :D

Michelle

melanie
June 9th, 2004, 06:32 PM
ha, ha, lol well just dont send me anywhere, specially not where i need money or pre metric knowledge, i would be stuffed. oh and i very often get things mixed up, if given 2 choices i often get it wrong, given three never wrong, funny how brains work. :D so that is $10 oz fee for the walk and about $7 for a walk in the US, well now maybe that is not so good, pretty crap actually. :D

heidiho
June 9th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Is that why he did that?? because when i am home he never messes with the furniture.......I heard gsd's get seperation anxiety...Well i will try what you said thanks....

melanie
June 9th, 2004, 08:02 PM
mybe your house is really tasty, but it sounds like seperation anx to me. it is manageable and is not a reflection of your dog care, if anything id say a sign that he loves you and misses you at times. there is a vast amt of info on the net about sep anx, look it up. another trick i have is to leave the radio on low, so there is a little background noise also for company and a bit of chatter, but not too loud or really low, just audable noise. and make sure he is excersised really well in the morning before you leave, to much energy to spend and boredom is another cause of sep anx so lots of excersise will help.. :D hope that wall is fixable, charlie once ate through the back door to get into our bedroom for a snooze (1yo at time), thought i had been robbed and that they had kicked in the door, nope, it was little miss comfort zone :D .

mona_b
June 9th, 2004, 08:04 PM
It may not be seperation anxiety.None of my GSD's ever had it.

Seperation Anxiety is in any breed be it mixed or breed.

You have never mentioned that he whines or barks when you are gone.If he had seperation anxiety,he would be doing this.

You let him out for to long.It was mentioned that you should try leaving him out for 15-20 mins at a time to see how he was.Then after a while go longer.

Again,I think it has alot more to do with him being caged up for 8 hours a day.

As for the limping in your other post,you better hope he isn't getting Panosteitis.Cause if he does get it,you better be prepared to spend the $$$$$$$$.At his age all the running around an excessive exercise will cause it.I mentioned that to you before.

melanie
June 9th, 2004, 08:09 PM
sorry i forgot he was a cage dog, charlie was not and had free roam. charlie never whined or barked much when i was gone and a bit anxious, just ate lots of things, (thank god we dont have that problem anymore)., only if she was staying with my house mates and they would leave her outside at night, then she would bark like crazy and i think she just did that to peeve them off cause it really worked (well they shouldnt have left her out when i said not too, their own fault if you ask me :D ).
well in this case he is caged often, he probably does not know what to do when left out maybe, i agree with miss mona.. :p

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 10:44 AM
The vet checked him out and does no think there is anything seriously wrong,and i have read that gsd's do get serperation anxiety,not saying that is what it is,but he probably didnt know what to do with himself for that period of time,i should of known better myself and he still is a pup,not all dogs get to be perfect so soon like other dogs.I dont care about wall it is the couch that i dont think i could get fixed for cheap,it was the bottom corner of it he knawed on.Oh weel,live and learn as you go...........I love him.........

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 10:48 AM
does he have chew toys, not just one but a number of them. Dogs get bored palying with the same toy for hours. Even if it's just another rawhide bone, it's different from the other one....
I found that KONGs, rawhide and rope toys are the best and MMANY of them. This keeps them distracted from the furniture....
PLUS if you put cheese spread or peanut butter inside the KONG they stay busy for hours...

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Yeah he does ,i do have to go get another kong though, he is still just a pup so 4 hours alone was pushing it,he did fine for 45 minutes..I am gonna buy quite a few more toys this pay day.....Any ideas on the couch,he knawed right on the corner....

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 10:58 AM
It's hard to say what to do to repair it, there are many options... a quick fix could be to buy some anti chewing spray, there is some called bitter apple (I don't know if they have it in Arizona though) and if you spray it on items the dog will hate the taste and stay away from it. I would test it while you're around though, not all dogs hate the taste. The only thing that I can really suggest for the couch is slip covers. That will hide it until you can repair it (if it's that bad)...

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 11:02 AM
I think we do have that,i will get that and try it...The couch,i guess it isnt that bad a little of the filling is showing,i dont know what i was thinking,lessoned learned.Just sucks cause they are the first brand new couches i have ever owned,only a month old..Good thing he is so damn cute.... ;) ;)

Karin
June 10th, 2004, 01:23 PM
I think white vinegar works better than bitter apple. Dog's hate vinegar with a passion and I have seen a few that will drink bitter apple.
You also may want to try speading a few sheets of aluminum foil down on the furniture & areas you want him to stay away from. Many dogs & cats are leary of the foil.

melanie
June 10th, 2004, 05:56 PM
go to local fabric store and get a small piece of fabric to match couch (or there abouts). replace any missing stuffing and then get yourself one of those hooked sewing needles. glue the fabric down first the sew it. it is fixable and it will add character to the couch and a little story. hooked sewing needles are great for fixing things that you cannot get to both sides of. i once had to fix a chewed foot rest this way. :D

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Oh,that is to funny,great way of looking at it,it will add character i love that,i might even get a little patch,i will take a pic of his teeth and see if i can get that made into a patch and sew that on,thanks for the help,makes it seem ok now...And i will try the vinegar then..What is with the aluminum foil??? :confused:

Karin
June 10th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Dogs & cats shy away from the foil..make sure they hear it too as you tear some off of the roll. It works to keep animals off of furniture they are not allowed on also.
With in the first few days after I brought Ciara home as a pup she chewed a hole in the window frame over one of the beds in the bedroom. I thought., well okay...this is your bed now since you gave it your "mark of excellence"..and so it is even now, her bed and the big mark is still there. She never has chewed anything like that again, it was a puppy thing .

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Have you ever done throw cans,those work good also for certain things....