Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neutering Questions

H.P.
January 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Smokie goes to get neutered in the morning. I have never had a male animal. What should I expect post-op? He will be there all day, but will not stay at the vets over night, I am a little nervous about that, as my females have always stayed over. I know that the male surgery is less invasive, and I have used this vet before, for feral cat spaying, and really like them.

He is such a good little dog, I don't think that I will have any problem finding him a home. I have switched him over to Canidae, from the Gravy Train he was on. We tried to do the recommended gradual switch, but he wouldn't go for that, picked out the Gravy Train and put it on the floor, then ate only the Canidae :goodvibes:. He is learning commands, routines very well. Here are a couple of pictures. He looks old because of the white on his nose, but I think he is between 2 and 3.

Frenchy
January 15th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Smokie goes to get neutered in the morning. I have never had a male animal. What should I expect post-op?

It's so much easier than with females ! He will have to take it easy : no running , jumping on couch/bed , no playing with the others .... I know lots of people don't like to put a cone on their dogs but it really help to keep them from licking and from getting too excited.

He's real cute by the way ! :cloud9:

glitterless
January 15th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Yep, he can't overdo it, but *some* exercise is necessary to encourage healing. He'll probably be sleepy for at least 12-24 hours until the anaesthesia wears off, but after that he should at least be walked regularly if he won't make an effort to move on his own.

Dracko
January 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Once any males I had recovered from the anesthetic they acted like nothing was done to them. One of my cats was jumping all over, eating, etc. You would never have known he'd been snipped earlier in the day. :p

hazelrunpack
January 15th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Smokie is a real cutie. :lovestruck:

Likely after the first couple of days he'll be trying to do everything he did before his surgery. Sometimes it's a curse when the surgery is easy on the dog--they want to do too much too soon. :rolleyes: But make sure he doesn't do any strenuous stuff because it can cause edema at the surgical site. However, complications are pretty rare and he'll come through with flying colors if you can convince him that he needs to take it easy. :dog: