Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it because it's getting colder???

rjesak
January 15th, 2008, 06:30 AM
My cats are suddenly eating more and, well, crapping more (I guess one WOULD sort of lead to the other...). Normally I give them six cans of food every 12 hours or so. Up until a week or so ago, I would often give them only five cans because there was so much left over from the previous feeding. Now, all of a sudden, their plates are licked clean with six cans and they've easily polished off seven. I guess it's not that much different, it's just really caught me off guard. How am I supposed to know how much to give them if they're gonna eat different amounts all the time? How thoughtless of them... :laughing:

14+kitties
January 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Mine go through stages when they eat 5 in the morning, 5 at night, plus they have their dry down all of the time with lots of water. And then other times they hardly eat 2 or 3 cans between the 16 all day.
Do they have fresh water available to them all the time? It may be they are getting the moisture they need out of the food. They may need more water during winter because of the heat in the house drying them out. It does to humans so why not cats? Other than that??????

krdahmer
January 15th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I have noticed over the years that although my guys are never outside, Buddy and Windy still seem to pack on a little 'winter weight' every year. Thats all I can do to explain it, they beef up a little in Dec/Jan and are back down to their usual in Apr/May. Just like my MIL's indoor/outdoor cat. I personally think it's because my house is so drafty (also why Palomine takes to sleeping on the heating vent in the bathroom... which I cover with a pillow so he isn't uncomfortable:rolleyes:). And mine also go through a LOT more water in the winter. So maybe its just natural that yours would eat more of the wet this time of year...:shrug::o

rjesak
January 16th, 2008, 07:52 AM
The water's a good thought. They DO have water down all the time, but since switching to the wet food, they drink so little of it, that I don't have to change it as often. Like WAY WAY less often. I used to refill the dish a couple of times a week, now I have to refill it about once every two weeks! Clearly, since they are getting moisture from the wet food, they rarely drink at all!

krdahmer
January 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM
That could be why they aren't drinking too. Their water should be changed every day, if not twice a day. I do my bowls (I have three throughout the house) every night before I go to bed and add ice cubes to the biggest bowl. One is in the bathroom sink and gets changed every time I am in there and it is almost always empty. I even have two that like to toilet drink so I have to make sure the lid is down :yuck:. Most pets, cats and dogs alike seem to prefer cold water, moving if possible... so those fountains are great too. I had one here too, but cleaning it was a pain so I went back to crystal and glass bowls.

rjesak
January 16th, 2008, 01:34 PM
It's a fountain fed by a water line. It remains filled from a tank.

14+kitties
January 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM
It's a fountain fed by a water line. It remains filled from a tank.

I would still be changing the tank water at least once a day if possible.
My crew have mugs that they drink out of and they are filled 3 times a day. Around 6 or them! Course, sometimes the water gets spilled in their exuberance :rolleyes: but most of the time it's because they have drank it.
I need to find a big porcelain or ceramic bowl to put their water in. One they can't spill! :evil:

chico2
January 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I change my cats water probably 5 times a day,they'll just sit there staring at the dish until I do:laughing: