Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please Help - Dog Neglect Case

jflovel
January 15th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Two dogs are left outside ALL the time all year around. As rough as it seems, unfortunately there's not a thing that the SPCA can do about this because its not illegal to leave dogs outside. But there's more.

There used to be two huskies, one of which died (unknown reasons) so the owner gets a lab puppy. Now the lab is a grown up puppy but is bullied by the remaining husky. There's no spot in the huskies rotten and mouldy dog house for the lab, so he has to attempt to sleep with barely any shelter in the blisteringly cold winds, rain, snow and ALL weather, shivering away. The lab constantly yelps for attention, and they are both clearly starved of love. They look like dogs that have been "working" in a mill all their lives and can't understand why someone would be interested in them when we look over their way.

Most importantly, the husky severely attacks the lab randomly. The labs yelps out with pain, and runs away limping on back and front legs and licking what looks like blood (from a distance).

The owner is barely ever home, and although we believe she does feed and provide water for these dogs, this person who claims to be an animal lover, never plays with them, never shows affection to them, never takes them anywhere, never lets them inside (or barely). They yelp all through the night, wanting to get in when it gets really cold. Other times they just plain suffer in silence.

We have tried calling the SPCA. But the SPCA doesn't exist in White Rock. The City Commissioners who do the job of the spca in white rock have been out several times and claimed to fine this person for neglect or disturbance after hours, but no fines have been made.

My concerns are for the lab's well being, as he is being constantly attacked by the husky, and doesn't have the same kind of winter coat to deal with this harsh weather as the husky - similar cases have frozen to death. BOTH dogs need a good home.

There must be something we can do! Please help! Its breaking my heart to see this. The white rock city commissioners are doing nothing! Isn't there some group of people out there that seizes dogs from bad owners? If there was ever an opportunity to do it its here.

rainbow
January 15th, 2008, 03:59 AM
This is outrageous. :eek: Doesn't the SPCA in Surrey cover the White Rock area?

jflovel
January 15th, 2008, 04:05 AM
No, they don't. Its the city commissioners that cover white rock for animal control / abuse. this is not considered an abuse case, and therefore they do nothing.
We are going to plead with the surrey spca tomorrow to do something. My other fear is that the dogs might face the possibility of euthanasia if they don't get re-homed from the spca.

rainbow
January 15th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Distress is defined in the PCA Act as follows:

For the purposes of this Act, an animal is in distress if it is

a. deprived of adequate food, water or shelter;
b. injured, sick, in pain or suffering; or
c. abused or neglected

I would say the lab is in pain or suffering. :sad:

rainbow
January 15th, 2008, 04:14 AM
This is from the SPCA website ( http://www.spca.bc.ca/cruelty/ReportingCruelty.asp ) on reporting animal cruelty....

Reporting Animal Cruelty
If you observe an animal in distress, we would ask that you report that via telephone to your nearest branch of the Society. While the Society will go to great lengths to respect the confidentiality of complainants, all anonymous complaints will also be acted upon. Anonymous complainants will, however, not be able to find out how the matter was concluded.

If you wish to file a complaint electronically with respect to an animal in distress, then we ask you to observe the following guidelines:

If your complaint is of a general non life threatening nature, please submit it via our web form - click here.

Due to the sheer volume of complaints, it is not possible for us to acknowledge every complaint, but rest assured all complaints will be investigated.

If your complaint is of a life threatening nature, please call your nearest branch or our emergency number at 604.879.7343.

jflovel
January 15th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Tomorrow we will try again. But the commissioners have been out, the RCMP have been out, and I believe that even the SPCA have been out - under certain circumstances, like if the dogs get out and start running around in the street. The used to happen when they dug holes under the surrounding fences and escaped through a neighbors yard. I forgot that part. There are many sagas to this story.

i wasn't here when that happened but i quote the spca woman to have said "I leave MY dogs outside all year around". Basically, all these people have witnessed what goes on, in the past, and done sweet f-all.

Now we have more ammo as the dog is getting injured. This is a newer thing.

CearaQC
January 15th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Well if no one will legally seize the dog, maybe someone should talk with the owner. Offer money to buy the lab.

If that doesn't work, resort to possibly getting the dogs removed in another manner.

*wink wink nudge nudge*

jflovel
January 15th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I have not dealt directly with these people - but they have also said that because of the nature of the case there is nothing they can do. I guess cause there is a dog house (which the husky dominates) and food and water that it is not considered neglect. But according to your info from the SPCA website neglect is defined separately from the food and water part.

I mean COME ON, what does a person have to do to be red flagged?? We just wish that these dogs would go to good homes. I can't even reach to pet them.

Oh yea, I forgot the part about her installing electric collars and electric fences around the perimeter of the yard which has now stopped them digging to get out. Which is also, shamefully, not illegal.?? (to my knowledge)

rainbow
January 15th, 2008, 04:30 AM
What about contacting Eileen Drever? Isn't she with the Surrey SPCA?

Further information:
Eileen Drever, Senior Animal Protection Office: (604) 709-4670, (604) 834-7854 (cell);

jflovel
January 15th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Thing is, we've already tried that, but she claims to be a dog lover and seems to have some kind of delusions that she 'loves' the dogs.

jflovel
January 15th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the info.

rainbow
January 15th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Distress is defined in the PCA Act as follows:

For the purposes of this Act, an animal is in distress if it is

a. deprived of adequate food, water or shelter;
b. injured, sick, in pain or suffering; or
c. abused or neglected

I would say the lab is in pain or suffering. :sad:

The above came from the BCSPCA's website: http://www.spca.bc.ca/cruelty/ReportingCruelty.asp and click on the word distress.

rainbow
January 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Thing is, we've already tried that, but she claims to be a dog lover and seems to have some kind of delusions that she 'loves' the dogs.

Tell her you'll take your story to Global News where she's praised so much. :rolleyes:

rainbow
January 15th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Have you called the Vancouver Humane Society?

rainbow
January 15th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Just wanted to add "Good Luck" in helping these poor dogs out. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

I also have a Siberian Husky and a Yellow Lab.....both of which are sleeping on my bed right now and I'm off to join them. :cloud9:

Again, good luck and please keep us updated. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
January 15th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I can't offer any help but second getting the media involved. That would also get the SPCA's attention too if they are getting bad press. Perhaps sending in a video of the huskey's chasing the lab into the news.

Good luck, hope you succeed in rescueing the poor dogs.

chico2
January 15th, 2008, 07:43 AM
ooops,I answered in the original thread,but I am glad you reposted in your own,hopefully something can be done:pray:

jflovel
January 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the support!

The commissioners came out this morning and gave them a fine. Now they believe us I suppose.

I am going to call the SPCA in Surrey today and talk with Eileen, and I'm going to try to document what is happening with photos and videos.

rainbow
January 15th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hopefully things will improve after being fined. :fingerscr

The photos and videos are a good idea. Thanks for everything you've done and continued good luck in getting help for these poor dogs. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Keep us updated. :goodvibes:

rainbow
January 15th, 2008, 01:48 PM
By the way....welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up Do you have any pets of your own to share with us? :D

14+kitties
January 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Is there no way that something(one) can "help" the dog get away. I don't know, a lead undone, a gate open. If he shows up at someone else's house......mmmmmm, ummmmm, huh, funny, he just was found wandering. :rolleyes:

glitterless
January 15th, 2008, 04:18 PM
It's great to help an animal who is in immediate need of help, but these people have already replaced one dead dog. Whose to say they won't replace the next 2 when they're stolen/sold/dead?

Hopefully the owners will smarten up and learn to take care of their dogs properly, or the SPCA will seize the animals and this will go to court. I don't know why some people have animals.

rainbow
January 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Do you have an update for us? :fingerscr

Shaykeija
January 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
If there is a wire fence, may I recommend wire cutters and get those dogs out of there....:pawprint::pawprint::pawprint: right to a new and safe home

TeriM
January 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Try contacting this group to see if they can help you.
http://www.animaladvocates.com/

Good luck :fingerscr.

rainbow
January 18th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Good possibility, Teri. :thumbs up

Any updates yet? :o