Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help! - Dog is having a relapse in training!!

jamie 82
January 14th, 2008, 11:08 PM
hi there,

i've posted several times and have found great advice from all of you guys...keely has been doing awesome! she's 4 and a half months old now...she's going for walks on the leash (just need to get her going on a better schedule), and no accidents at all in a LONG time...but...the 3 days, she has had 2 major major accidents - she's peed on our chair and our bed - both places she sleeps on.

is it normal for them to be having a relapse at this age? i can't think of anything about the situations having anything in common - i'm just wondering if this is a normal thing around this age, or if anyone knows any reason why puppies would do this?

its just frustrating, because it feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back!

thanks guys.

Longblades
January 18th, 2008, 09:24 AM
YES, it is absolutely, completely normal for them to relapse. Many puppy training books will tell you this. They are entering their teenage years and they just begin to test you. The key is patience, kindness and consistency just as you practised when beginning training.

As a side note, teething may also be a distracting influence at your pup's age. Is she teething now? The answer is the same but you may find yourself dealing with the relapse twice, once again when she hits 6 or 7 months. For teething we used rope bones soaked in water and frozen for puppy to chew on. The cold helps numb their sore gums a bit. We kept two of the bones constantly on the go, replacing with one when the first thawed out. Our bones were the white ones and it was incredible how much blood got on them, poor puppy not any wonder she was acting up a bit, she hurt. And her breath smelled AWFUL when she was teething.

jessi76
January 18th, 2008, 09:49 AM
hi there,

i've posted several times and have found great advice from all of you guys...keely has been doing awesome! she's 4 and a half months old now...she's going for walks on the leash (just need to get her going on a better schedule), and no accidents at all in a LONG time...but...the 3 days, she has had 2 major major accidents - she's peed on our chair and our bed - both places she sleeps on.

is it normal for them to be having a relapse at this age? i can't think of anything about the situations having anything in common - i'm just wondering if this is a normal thing around this age, or if anyone knows any reason why puppies would do this?

its just frustrating, because it feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back!

thanks guys.

puppies, like toddlers, have accidents. she's a wee 4-1/2 mths old, that's still very young. this sounds completely normal to me. My dog had an accident at 6mths old. it happens. just clean up, move on, and try to keep the pup within sight (to supervise) and stay on a schedule/routine. puppies can be frustrating, but they do learn, and believe me, it's worth all that work. someday soon your efforts will pay off, and you'll have a lovely, trained, and happy furry family member.

teenage "years" and testing generally starts a litttle later - the 8-10mth age. or the idiot-phase as I lovingly call it, when all training seems to go out the window. just continue to train in a positive manner, and reward good behavior.

jamie 82
January 20th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks so much guys.

as far as teething - she is definitely teething. we've noticed blood on a couple of her toys. we have bought a couple things from the pet store that go in the freezer...she seems to really like those, so that is good!

she hasn't had any accidents in the last couple days and has been letting us know when she's got to go. we're just trying to keep her on schedule and not be too hard on her. i think she's pretty out of sorts with the teething.

Thanks so much for the advice and words. its nice to hear from people that have or are going through the same thing.

hazelrunpack
January 20th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Ah, poor keely! Teething! Miserable time...but it doesn't last too long, thankfully! Most pups find mom and dad's hands to be irresistible when they're teething. Has she discovered yours, yet? :D (If she has, bicycle gloves... the ones that cover the palm and the back of the hand but leave the fingers free...make excellent hand protectors. :thumbs up)