- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


When to spay? Advice please!!

January 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Ok so I have a dilemma.... The vet that I really trust has recently lost one of the other vets in his clinic and is not scheduling any routine surgeries until he can get another vet so I have two options that I am looking at for spaying Chloe.

I wanted to be home with her for a few days after her spay and next week I will have thursday through sunday off.
She will be five months next week and I made an appointment with a vet who I WAS really comfortable with but when searching his phone number on the internet saw a review from one person stating that he is horrible and awful (over sedated her dog during spay causing brain damage) and has complaints against his license. I searched his license and did find a resolved complaint with a fine paid. I am now not feeling so comfortable with this vet so i called another who was recommended by a friend.

This vet is a more corporate business and on the higher end of the $$ scale but their price for spay was not too much more (about 400 including bloodwork, IV, fluids, pain meds and overnight observation) but they won't spay until she is closer to 6 months. They have an excellent reputation for care of animals but are notorious for overcharging. They are open on the weekends which means I could have her spayed on thursday, pick her up friday and be home with her for two days before going back to work.

I am soooooo confused on what to do!!!!! My instinct tells me even though I got such good feeling when seeing the first vet I am not comfortable having read the bad review and seen the complaint against his license and shoudl cancel the appointment.

Sooooo my questions finally!

Which vet would you choose?
Should I call another vet?
Is 5 months too early to spay?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

January 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I'm so impatient.... stamps foot, (whining) pleeeeeease give me some advice ;)

January 14th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Well, I had Vlad neutered at about 5 months and Oksana was about 4. I trusted my vet completely. When I took Maks and Kiska in for a booster before December, I couldn't get my usual vet and got another one who I felt very uncomfortable with and she told me she would be free to do the surgery for them in December. I wound up doing Maks first with my regular vet and waited for Kiska to get over her heat cycle to have her done, again with my regular vet.

Both Maks and Kiska were about 4 and a half close to 5 months.

I would have Chloe done with the vet you feel the most comfortable with. If this other vet's past complaints bother you, then don't take her there. You'll be worrying the entire time.

If your other option is going with the more expensive vet, and if you can afford it and are sure they are good and trustworthy, then take her there. I paid about $275 for Kiska and about the same for Oksana. Of course the boys were less expensive. But either way, my vet's office is slightly higher than some, but I'm comfortable with the vet that takes care of them usually and the techs and staff are friendly and very nice and you can tell very caring and I feel comfortable taking my babies there.

Go with who you feel most comfortable with.

January 14th, 2008, 08:16 PM
You have to take her where you're going to feel comfortable.
How long as the first vet been in practice?
Do you only have the choice of the 2 vets? Do you have friends who take their pets to a particular vet?


January 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Not always, but often, some vets charge more than others because of what they include in the surgery. Some have more up-to-date equipment, and 24 hour staff that need to get paid. I first researched the procedure and when I called around for Lucky's neuter, I asked in detail about the surgery. Some vets performed the surgery without IV drip nor intubation. These, of course, were the vets who charged much less.

Penny was about 5 months when she was spayed. No complications other than the incision had become mildly infected. I've read the pros and cons of an early spay. Frankly, I'm not sure there is a big difference within a 1 month time period :shrug:.

Can you ask to personally meet the new vet who would perform the surgery on Chloe? Ask him/her all the questions you have and then perhaps you'll have a better idea as to who you're more comfortable with.

Ford Girl
January 14th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Dazy was 5 months too, no issues, other then controlling the energy for 12 days!! :eek: :eek: Seriously! LOL! Buy some bones, new stuffies and toys that occupy the mind!! :thumbs up

I would go with what your gut tells you becuase I think you and Chloe both need to be in a good frame of mind, it's stressful enough dropping your baby off at the vet, I wouldn't want to be second guessing it all day, do what you are most comfortable with.

January 14th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I'd probably go with the second vet. Can you tell a little white lie about her age so you can get her in sooner? Unless you've already given them your info.

January 14th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone, You are right, whether or not this vet is incompetent, I will worry all day long and already have been worrying. :frustrated:

There are lots of other vets in the area, but I don't know anyone who uses them so I think I will just go with the vet who is more expensive, but I will feel comfortable with. It's all going on the credit card anyway, I pay it off eventually right?? :laughing: I do feel more comfortable spaying her at 5 months now so maybe I can talk to the vet there and see if it is an absolute rule, or one that can be bent..

January 15th, 2008, 12:46 AM
There are lots of other vets in the area, but I don't know anyone who uses them

Maybe some of them might be listed here. :shrug: ....