Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Out Of Steam

want4rain
January 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM
im running out of steam. i feel like i dont know what i am doing or even where i can turn. one would think after months of feeding the exact same food that they woudl at least resign themselves to eating it. Baby Girl and Frances relish the raw food. Baby Girl totally rejects anything BUT raw and what she gets the hankering to eat (in other words she likes to try out some of the stuff the baby throws on the floor). unfortunately she ate some pizza last night when someone got the hankering to pull a piece off the counter. hell we had company over and they didnt know that apparently some cats like pizza *sigh*. well it gave Baby Girl the runs and unbeknownst to me she was dragging all of that horrendously poopy butt all over the exact same carpeting my son plays on. which means we are heading out this afternoon and slapping the $20 rental for a steam cleaner on the credit card, because hey, wednesday is pay day but she pooped all over the house today... and today is before wednesday.

last few nights Shadow has decided he does not want to eat again. he is munching a little but eating an actual meal. see, Shadow woudl rather starve than eat raw meat. of course, he must have decided i dont jump through enough hoops for the furried things in this house. i need to jump through some more!! he will do ANYTHING for dry kibble. considering he had s.crystals at one point, thats just not an option. not only that but he has been trying for MONTHS now (more so than usual) to get out. did i mention that all of the caned foods i tried gave him the runs? Friskies, Wellness (ALL brands), Merrick, Fancy Feast... you name it. did i mention he is a barfer? never know whats coming up next!! might be food, might be bile, maybe its a hair ball.... every day i hunt around the house for his puke. depending on what i find says if i keep looking for more barf.

Hunter is ok with the whole raw thing. he isnt thrilled because he has to scoot it across the floor and he would really rather eat it on a carpeting of some sort. one of these days im going to get so mad at him dragging it over gates, toys, chairs and whatver else i can pile up in front of the door so he can eat it ON MY FREEKING CARPETING and im just going to start nailing his food to the danged FLOOR!!!

im just out of steam. it seems like my list of things i have to do just keeps getting longer and longer and my list of things i want to do keeps getting shorter and shorter. i surf my 2 forums and check my email. ive been neglecting my fish tanks because i dont have time, the dog drinks my water change water..... i just need to whine. i can handle things as long as im not backed into a corner but with Shadow going on a hunger strike again... what are my choices?? feed him dry kibble? thats what he wants. we *just* had blood work done when he had s.crystals. no cancer, no organ disfunction, as a matter of fact his labs even for nutrition came out perfect... considerably better than they shoudl have for a cat who wasnt eating. do i just feed him what he wants to stop these strikes and deal with the health issues that come up later? i mean if i stop and think about the ones that are even just LIKELY im overwhelmed by the cost! how likely is it if he goes back to kibble to get s.crystals?

pooey.

im just ranting. if anyone has any solutions other than shaving Baby Girls butt and feeding Shadow kibble... id like to hear it because the latter is quite likely.... the former just a daydream. ;)

-ashley

phoozles
January 14th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Sounds pretty stressful over there!

As for Shadow - I guess it depends on if he's eating at all. If he is, I wouldn't give up on the good stuff - if he's not eating ANYTHING - then kibble is definitely better than nothing. You don't want to add a bout of fatty liver to your troubles!

Anyway, we're there for you :grouphug: so feel free to bitch away! :laughing:

amatazes
January 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
i have to recommend a wet food for you that might make all the difference. It's science diet senior. all the senior food are super thick and dry, not saucy like the others.
My cookies monster had the runs and we switched him over to the science diet senior canned wet food. it might work.

chico2
January 14th, 2008, 05:03 PM
W4R.it does sound like you have an awful day,poor girl:sad:
I too am going to try to introduce my cats to raw feeding in the near future.
I KNOW Chico won't eat it,he does not even touch boiled chicken,that the others love.
I used to have days like yours when my 3 boys(human) were little,3 cats and not much money,but I promise you,it will get better although between diarreah and vomit,you might not think so..
I would feed Shadow,a good quality kibble,he has to eat something,or that will make him sick.
Buy the best food you can afford and I hope he's a good water-drinker and :pray:the UTI will not return.
Last but not least,find a corner in the house where you an be alone,sit down with a nice drink,try to relax.

Ford Girl
January 14th, 2008, 05:15 PM
w4r, I agree with Chico, get a nice cold drink or a book - what ever your fancy is and take a bit of time to unwind and relax. When ***** hits the fan it really hits the fan eh? If it was one thing only, you'd have it solved before you could even type it out, but when it rains it pours...

I say work at one thing first, then another...if it was me, I'd feed my cat what ever I needed to feed him to get him to eat and stop the barfing (I deal with this too - daily puke piles! :mad:) Get him eating, then look at the long term health issues. Baby girl's runs will pass...and Hunter will learn eventually if you keep at him.

Hang in there, go get that drink...:grouphug:

want4rain
January 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM
haha well i have to steam clean the carpet before i go to bed tonight BUT!!!! the door came open after we left today and guess what?!?! all 4 cats were still here snoozing in the living room! we always find one (Shadow) if not two (Hunter) gone when the door sticks open. :laughing: there is always a bright side.... i guess. :cool:

im going to surely go with a high quality kibble for Shadow. he doesnt have a remarkable drink drive but i will make sure he is around when i feed the other cats and only sequester him off when HE eats.

-ashley

ancientgirl
January 14th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Will Shadow eat Kibble mixed with canned or raw?

Just after I brought home Maks and Kiska, Maks spent a couple of weeks with really runny poop. I usually feed the gang some canned in the morning and in the afternoon and leave kibble for them to graze on. So what I did for Maks is I'd mix only a little bit of canned with kibble. Little by little I've been increasing the canned portion. He's all regular now and I haven't had an instance of runny poop in a very long time.

And of course it's great that he's figured out how to use the litter and NOT step on his poop.

clm
January 14th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Amazing how picky cats can be isn't it. All you can do is research which ingredients in cat foods contribute to crystals and stick to brands that will not contribute to them.
I wonder, are they like kidney stones that humans get? Calcium plays a part in developing those I think. Wish I could remember if it's too much or too little. Hubby has had them a couple of times and he eats and drinks no dairy and little foods that contain lots of calcium, so I can't see how his would be a result of too much.
I wonder, do places like the University of Guelph publish anything on crystals and how to avoid them?

Cindy

want4rain
January 14th, 2008, 11:32 PM
i think what we are going to do is put him on either Eagle Pack or Felidae a few days a week, keep with raw when he will eat it and see how things go.

-ashley

want4rain
January 14th, 2008, 11:42 PM
oh and to answer that last question, crystals need pH alteration. what works for s.crystals (from what i understand) do well with things like cranberries and citrus fruits. also crystals of any sort need loads of fluids which is why ive been sooooo reluctant to put him on kibble again.

-ashley

clm
January 15th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Maybe you could play with PH alteration with your water as well. Again, I'm rather ignorant on this whole thing, so I don't know if it's high (alkaline) or low (acidic) PH that you need. You could test your water first off, to see what PH it's at, test kits can be bought at pond or aquarium supply stores. You can use baking soda in the water to increase the PH if it's on the low side. Common practice with ponds that have PH problems, or if acid rain or municipal or well water supply has low PH levels.

Cindy

chico2
January 15th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Seee,I knew another day would make a difference:highfive:
I was thinking(it happens:laughing:)my Chico is a bit nervy around Vinnie and snubbed his food for a long time.
Now I feed Chico and Rocky in another room,Chico needs a bit of petting,reassurance and then he eats all his food.:thumbs up
I also sit with them,mostly to make sure Rocky eats his pill,but also to make sure"chubby"Vinnie does not come and finish every dish,I doubt though,you have time to sit and watch your cat eat.LOL

want4rain
January 15th, 2008, 08:41 AM
clm- off the bat i would say the water pH wouldnt effect them but maybe you are on to something. our water is very alkaline swinging between 7.8 and 8.4 (WOW right?!!) we have a filter on our tap in the kitchen that sits at 7.0 that raises to 7.2 when it warms up(or sits for a bit, i dont claim to totally understand this whole pH thing yet, could be the oxygenation or the hardness settling.)

the s.crystals were unquestionably my fault. i under estimated how much calcium was in the fish i was feeding them and added too much to compensate. he got constipated, stopped eating and drinking and poof, crystals. now i dont compensate at all. it all works itself out LOL!!

he ate a really big fish dinner last night. makes me feel a little better. oh, someone mentioned fatty liver, he was eating SOMETHING or i would have freaked out and had him at the vet faster than i could blink. he chews a little lettuce in the morning and was still eating a few bites for dinner, just not enough to sustain a mouse. he also snacks on random Jeffrey stuff through out the day. cooked carrots, peas, cheddar bunnies and so on.

-ashley

krdahmer
January 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
My guys are all kibble eaters, only two will eat canned and one only likes to lick the gravy off the canned, and they all turned their noses up at raw. I've tried all kinds of canned and different ways to make them eat it, with no success. And with 6, there is only so much I can do.

And out of steam, I guess!! The only thing I can suggest is to invest in one of those little mini steamers, they are the ultimate tool for moms and pet owners alike. I got my SIL one for Christmas, a dirt devil handheld, very easy to use and only about $35. I have the slightly larger Bissell which was around $60... and let me tell you it has paid for itself many times! With six cats, there is always a little pile of barf here and there or someone's 'scoots' or cling ons! I can just imagine with a kid and dogs too!

Anyhow hang in there... and remember there is nothing wrong with a grown woman throwing a temper tantrum every now and then to reset. (Just as long as no one is looking!) ;)

want4rain
January 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
yeah, i learned the hard way to NOT throw yourself on the floor and flail around. not only does your heavier and larger body hurt when it hits the floor but in a house with cats, dogs and children you are likely to end up face to face with something you would rather your nose not be that close to. :laughing:

i feel LOADS better. he ate some fish mix i made with eggs and liver last night. i tossed in a touch of oyster for taurine. he totally digs sea food but im reluctant to feed him a mostly sea food diet ALTHOUGH i betcha i could hide the chicken in fish yuck??? the whole crystals thing makes me also hesitant with fishy things.

the raw thing has been a cost thing for us along with a health thing. it costs us roughly $4-$5 a day to feed ALL FIVE pets raw chicken. add in turkey, ground beef, grains, veggies and fruits and dairies i dare to say its cheaper than that in the end. it gets expensive when i start getting things like lamb or pork organs. :) those are treats really.

-ashley

Love4himies
January 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Ph levels in cat's diets are very important for their urinary tract. To acidic they don't get crystals, but can get stones

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1402&articleid=2729

I do have a kibble loving cat (Puddles) whose main diet is Wellness with Orijen kibble as a treat, but she does sometimes get into the Orijen bag at night and free feeds on it (means she won't eat her canned in the morning:evil:). She has a history of bladder infections and had some crystals because she seems to have no thirst drive:frustrated:. She is a perfect weight and an extremely picky eater, and should not loose any so I am always wanting her to eat. So, that said, I now take a plastic syringe and force about 7-10mls of water into her mouth (sometimes through clenched teeth) every day to ensure she is getting enough water to cleanse her kidneys and get her to go pee regularily. Takes only a second per day, but I feel better knowing how much water she is getting and eating kibble is not such a no no anymore.

clm
January 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I must admit, I've been so lucky with all my cats, past and present. My past boys never got crystals and my present boy and 3 girls are fine. (touching wood everywhere). They all drank/drink lots of water. I've known many people who just can't get their cats to drink. I have no idea why I've been as lucky as I have. Nothing special about the water for sure.
I've always been careful about not letting anyone get a steady diet of anything, so nobody gets too much fish, beef, chicken, liver. Canned and dry are changed constantly, maybe that's helped.

Cindy

chico2
January 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM
CLM,mine are the same all 3 drink water all the time,they have definetly gotten used to different foods,with no problem,except Rockys Thyroids.
I think of them as people:laughing:a varied diet is good for them,just like I would not want to eat the same every day,month and year.

Jim Hall
January 16th, 2008, 04:41 PM
fish liver and all this post is making hunngry!!

want4rain
January 16th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I STOLE A PET CHICKEN TODAY!!!

yep, we have chickens we get for them and i stole it for chicken stock and then for dumplings.

my fat dog is going to get the skin when we are done and whatever i dont manage to put in the dumpling.... he weighs 95lbs!!!

anyways, i think Shadow smelled some really old kibble we had outside the front door from when we started fostering Frances. i brought it in the house tonight because a raccoon knocked it over again..... and he went absolutely ape over it. i actually saw his eyes dilate. :frustrated: i gave him a few pieces. we will see if he eats tomorrow. i think i will give him the occasional treat meal but try to stick to what we are doing now. i dont know... its all up in the air. if he ralfs up what little tiny bit i just gave him, that will probably change a bunch!! :laughing: but if not, as a meal or two a week, i can see that.

-ashley

growler~GateKeeper
January 17th, 2008, 02:27 AM
W4R - just wanted to mention be sure not to feed fish more than 1x per week to the cats, they can end up with a Vit E deficency. Sounds weird I know cuz of lots of Vit E in fish but I guess it's too much/unbalanced & it isn't used by the body properly

http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm#tuna check point D

Also from the same site a little info for Urinary tract health http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm#urinary_health_foods

Take a deep breath :grouphug:

want4rain
January 17th, 2008, 08:09 AM
yeah its usually every 2 weeks when they get their yucky mix (liver, egg, heart, gizzard) but that was going to be my next question.... how often can i feed fish!!!

now that i know it was the kibble outside, i think this is worth re-exploring. if i can get away with feeding him kibble only twice a week, ill be happy but if he goes on a hunger strike over kibble twice a week.... *sigh* hopefully he wont ralf up the raw.

-ash