Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat litter is driving me crazy

amatazes
January 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Below is cookie monster. I'm horrible with cleaning his litter box. I always have been. I once made a new year's resolution to keep his litter clean. I don't do it, I forget to I'm too lazy. I know it's bad but he's made it to a ripe old age and I want to start being better with him now that he's old.

1. What litter box is the best (other than manual, clearly I don't do that)
2. what litter is best to use with it?

I have a tiny apartment so I need something that's not 5' wide. cookie is big on burying his work so the litter is everywhere. is there anything for that?

phoozles
January 14th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I confess, I am not the best at remembering to clean the box myself :o

I've got a LitterMaid - an automatic box that isn't too much bigger than a regular one. It's not a complete life saver, but it gets the job done - you still need to empty out the container every other day though, but if you forget, it's not as bad because it puts everything into a little recepticle - I put a plastic bag in the container so I don't have to keep buying new ones (it's how they get you ;)).

If you do get one of those, you need to make sure you've got a good clumping litter - it has to be able to clump right away, or the rake will get stuck in it :yuck: and you'll wish you had your regular box back.

I've seen some of the other automatic ones - but they are WAY outside of my price range, and they're pretty huge.

ancientgirl
January 14th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Cookie Monster looks about as big as my Vlad. I have to say, I can't recommend the Litter Maid. I had one and I still wound up having to scoop. It would break up some of the clumps of pee, and it would miss some of the poop all together. You can't fill it up too much or else it gets stuck, and cleaning it is a major hassle. And the model I had wasn't big enough for Vlad. Also, Vlad is a digger too. He'd dig to the center of the earth if you let him and boy is he enthusiastic about digging too.

I use Swheat Scoop. It clumps up really hard after about 15 - 20 minutes, and the small is minimal of non-existent. But I clean their boxes at the very least once a day.

Can you maybe just make yourself a little reminder on your fridge to remember to scoop once a day?

buxomdiva
January 15th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I can relate; I'm terrible at this task too and since I can't smell anything when the litter gets TOO stinky the cats will find a hidden corner someplace. I recently spent hundreds of dollars having the carpets steam cleaned, disinfected and deodorized!

My 85 year old mother manages to keep on top of this quite well. She suggested leaving the litter box in the bathroom and scooping any time I have to go (which is often...lol).

I've also heard that feeding a raw diet reduces litter box odour considerably; I'm sure there are many other links in here about feeding options!

Good luck.

rjesak
January 16th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I don't like cleaning the box, but I've actually found that I'm better at doing it when I do it MORE. I know that sounds counterintuitive but it's such a PAIN when I let it get full that if I scoop it a couple of times a day into a plastic bag sitting next to the box, it takes just a couple of seconds. Every few days, I replace the bag, and take the used ones out to the trash. I don't know if it would work for everyone, but I am definitely doing better than I used to!

ancientgirl
January 16th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I agree with rjesak, it's easier if you do if you don't let it get overloaded.

What I do in the morning is I clean the box up in my master bath, I use Swheat Scoop, so if its not too bad, I dump it in the toilet. The box downstairs is hardly used, so that one can usually wait until I get home.

When I get home, I get a small garbage bag, I scoop the upstairs, which is pretty loaded by the time I get home. Then I go downstairs and scoop the box downstairs. I then tie the bag and put it in a small garbage can I have next to my regular can. I can use it for up to three days, then I just empty it and start over.

Once you get a routine going it really isn't much trouble.

H.P.
January 16th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I too am not good at cleaning the box. This is what works for me. I have the Booda step dome. It is a bit larger, but keeps Jo from kicking the litter out (and as big as Cookie is, he might appreciate a little extra maneuvering room). I use one of the pine litters. I put in a little more than the recommended 1 inch. About once a week, I just dump the thing out in the weeds (since it is pine, it is all bio-degradable, and boy do the weeds grow!). I probably end up wasting some litter that way, but, it keeps the bottom of the box from getting goopy, and controls the smell.