Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Struvite Crystals

Puppy_Pal
January 14th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Well, Layla is getting better from the antifreeze incident, but still a bit dopey and with some diarhea.
Well I have another question, but started a new thread as it's a different topic. When checking her urine after the incident, the vet said she had quite a few struvite crystals, which he said are usually related to diet.
Right now she eats Innova large breed puppy, which she has done well on and I feel comfortable giving her.
The vet said if they don't clear up in a week or so, he would like me to try a prescription diet. I REALLY am NOT comfortable with these. I have read terrible things about them with recalls and low quality ingredients. I don't want her to develop other health issues as a result of improper nutrition.
Can anyone give me some insight about these crystals, what they are? Are they serious? Is there anything I can do to avoid putting her on a bad diet??
My vet really does not think much of any brands besides pro plan and euckanuba :yuck: , so I don't neccessarily want to take his advice on nutrition, however he has been great with Layla and I want to do what's best for her. Any suggestions?

SnowDancer
January 14th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I know that the Hill's "stone/crystal" foods get a lot of bad reviews, but it worked for my dog to the extent that while he did have stones removed that were "adopted" with him, he did not develop any additional stones/crystals. I get acid kidney stones myself, so I know what they are like. He had to eat Hill's canned C/D for 6 months and then have an X-Ray to see if any additional stones had developed - thankfully they hadn't - because he was a mini Dachshund with a gourmet appetite - and didn't really care for the food. But it worked and I would do it again. We now have an Eskimo - no stones/crystals yet - but should it happen - and it may as Eskies are prone to stones, he would be put on the appropriate Hill's stone food immediately until the situation was resolved - or not. I would do this before starting to look for food alternatives. I am also a fan of Hill's canned i/d for stomach upsets. There are so many things that contribute to stones - really have to watch the purines and oxalics etc. so tough to start making your own food.

Puppy_Pal
January 14th, 2008, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=SnowDancer;530817]he would be put on the appropriate Hill's stone food immediately until the situation was resolvedQUOTE]

Thanks snowdancer,

If this was something that ended up being neccessary, after things clear up, do you usually switch them back to a better quality of food? I wouldn't want to keep her on S/D very long, but I would do what was neccessary to keep her healthy. Do you ever have any negative effects from that food?

SnowDancer
January 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Absolutely my Dachshund went back to his regular gourmet diet - it wasn't anything that I had fed him that caused the stones and fortunately the Hill's did its job. But had he continued to develop stones then it would most likely have been a lifelong problem - and Dachshunds have enough of those - so I don't know what I would have done - guess gone with my vet's advice - and if it meant Hill's for life then I guess that would probably be what I would have done. I am hoping this won't happen with my Eskimo. My vets are good and the groomer also knows a lot about foods as well - located in same building - we are one stop shoppers for health care, grooming, toys, food (holistic for the little devil of course). I hope the Hill's works for your pup.

Puppy_Pal
January 14th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I will be bringing her sample in next week to see if they have cleared up at all.
She had quite the traumatic weekend, so the vet doesn't know if the combination of everything might have had some effect.
I will let you know - I really appreciate your insight.:thumbs up

SnowDancer
January 14th, 2008, 11:16 PM
You are welcome. Are you certain that your pup doesn't have any stones that may have formed from the crystals? My guy had to have an X-Ray (as did I - we went through this the first time together).

Puppy_Pal
January 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Are you certain that your pup doesn't have any stones that may have formed from the crystals? (as did I - we went through this the first time together).

Not certain I guess, but he says he doesn't think so as she has had no crystals in previous urine samples. I guess if the crystals remain when the urine gets checked next week, It would be something to consider, an x-ray I mean.
I really hope there are none there. She has been through quite a bit in her 8 months (2 UTI's, anal glands, high alk phos, antifreeze poisoning (stupid neighbours) and now struvite crystals.) I hope she gets a break for a while and can just be a puppy. Everything else seems to have cleared up except these struvite crystals...so :fingerscr