Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clumsy cats?

zztopp
January 13th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Meet :cat: <-- Annie & :cat: <-- Dee-dee

They are our barn cats, that we adopted from a local rescue, about a year ago.

Both are approx three-years-old and both are spayed. They were considered 'semi-ferral' by the rescue, as they had both been born and/or lived wild, then were socialized with humans at the rescue.

Both are excellent huntresses, who have almost wiped out the mouse/rat/mole/bird/squirrel/baby ground hog and raccoon population in 8-months time. At least those that are on and near our property ;) They also tried to take out the laying hen population, though we interfered with that particular hunt ;) ;) ;)

They are kept quite tame; they live in the barn, coming and going as the please. They get fed cat kibble twice daily, have a litter box, clean water and warm blankets to sleep on. Did I mention that when its really cold, I put a heater out for them? And last summer I put a fan on, so that they wouldn't overheat ... you get the picture ;)

But, I've noticed lately that they've become very ... clumsy! When jumping up on the counter in the feed room of the barn, they end up having to scrabble at the end of the jump. And they often miss their footing on the wooden top and skid into the misc stuff that inhabits the countertop ... there have been several other instances like that, but they haven't been 'one-off' times. It keeps happening ... and its *both* of them.

When the vet was out to the farm last May, he commented that they were the healthiest barn cats he had seen in a long time. Both are very muscular and have a good fat pad to keep them warm. They are *not* lazy by any means -- they are constantly playing with each other and hunting stray pieces of straw :rolleyes:

Both are dewormed regularly, had vaccinations in '07 (when they were spayed). They pee and poo normally (I watch the litter box). No high temperature, clear eyes, no runny noses or wheezy lungs. Both still play lots and are not lethargic/depressed.

Is there any particular reason why they are so clumsy?? Should I be worried?! Or am I just being a worry-wort like usual?! :confused:

Sigh ...

(Just re-read my post. Maybe an awkward 'teenager' stage, and they loose all sense of where those legs are going ... would that coincide with their approximate age?)

Sigh again ...

(Am I coddling them too much? Have they just lost their sense of being ferral cats and settled into the spoiled life of being ... well, spoiled?!)

Double sigh ... !!

phoozles
January 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM
No idea why they would start having problems getting up to their perches - the first thought I had was that maybe they had gained some weight, but from your description, that doesn't sound like its the case.

I haven't heard of a 'teenage' faze for cats - never noticed it in mine, but that doesn't mean anything :rolleyes:

I could tell you one thing - there's no such thing as too much coddling of a cat - they need all the love they can get - so don't even think about cutting back on that! :cloud9:

zztopp
January 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
the first thought I had was that maybe they had gained some weight, but from your description, that doesn't sound like its the case.
Thats what I thought too, but the timeline doesn't match. They gained weight and were fine, then several months later they started getting clumsy.

I could tell you one thing - there's no such thing as too much coddling of a cat - they need all the love they can get - so don't even think about cutting back on that! :cloud9:
I knew that was a bit of a stretch on the truth :rolleyes: lol I don't think I COULD cuddle them less, since they practically jump up into my arms for cuddle time!

Also thought I'd mention, non of the local lands have insecticide or any sprays like that, which is what I first thought. Don't know! I guess I'll add that to my long list of questions, for when the farm vet comes out ;)

want4rain
January 15th, 2008, 05:43 PM
id forgotten about the clumsy stages our boys went through until we landed Frances. she is just as stupidly left pawed as the boys were. id find them falling off the stupidest things.... down the stairs!!!! totally miss the couch.... i watched Hunter go to jump on the bed (and mind you he was 2 or 3 at the time) and totally miss only to snap his teeth together when his CHIN (the only part to actually touch the bed) hit the edge. Shadow has rolled down our stairs before... Frances fell off the landing once, left huge scratches in the wall. *sigh* she hit two chairs on the way down off the table yesterday. :rolleyes: i was so sure she broke soemthing. she just injured her pride. :lovestruck:

if they keep that up or things get worse, make sure your vet knows what else changes. otherwise i wouldnt worry so much.... its good to know my cats arent the only youthfully clumsy ones.

(BTW Baby Girl never went through that.:cool:)

-ashley

want4rain
January 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
also, you know, some cats need to know just how close they can cut it. its part of that learning cat thing they do. ive noticed children AND cats both will repeat a failed attempt to A) make sure they knew WHAT they did that hurt, and B) make sure they know what NOT to do again next time, and C) modify it until they figure out the RIGHT way. :laughing:

-ash