Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

feeding my dog

jdorr
January 13th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hi everyone !
This is my first post.
I have a miniature longhair Doxi who is just under two years old. I feed her Innova Small Kibble dry food. She loves it and From what I have been able to gather, it is an excellent food. I just adopted a 5 month old kitten and in the process of research have found out that most of the experts feel that canned cat food is better than dry. They also feel that you should change the food about every three months.

My question is, should I do the same thing with my dog. I thought I might feed dry in the morning and canned at night.

This whole food thing is very confusing!!

Goldens4Ever
January 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hi everyone !
This is my first post......They also feel that you should change the food about every three months......

WELCOME.

Changing the food every 3 months is a good idea for some, but certainly not necessary. The theory is that rotating proteins help to prevent their bodies from developing an allergy to it.

jdorr
January 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Do you agree that it is better to feed canned and dry food to your dog?

SnowDancer
January 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I would continue to feed the Dachshund dry food - it will be better for teeth and Dachshunds, as a rule, develop problems with their teeth - too many teeth for their small mouths. My last little (big) guy had perfect teeth at age 5 - a major surprise to all - but at age 6 needed major cleaning etc. (wish that is all that had happened at age 6 but I will save that for when you need help with your Dachshund). One thing you can be sure of is that no matter where you hide the cat's wet food the Dachshund will find it - no problem pushing a chair to the counter and swinging up! I am sure you have read books on keeping weight down with the Dachshund, the business with jumping and stairs - getting a ramp if possible as they do love to sleep in your bed as I am sure you probably already know only too well - and maybe a harness. Is you pup an Alpha or more even tempered (I LOVE the Alphas).

Purpledomino
January 15th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I think that if you want to feed both dry and canned food that is just fine. It's my opinion that canned food has benefits as it contains much needed moisture, is less refined (than kibble), contains more meat and generally less preservatives than kibble. IMO also...(Sorry SnowDancer :o ) I think that it is a common misconception that feeding kibble has significant teeth cleaning properties. I believe that giving a raw bone and/or brushing teeth is more beneficial...even more important for the small/toy breeds which are notorious for dental problems.

Innova is a great kibble, and they also have excellent canned varieties as well. The EVO is very good, and I think would make a wonderful addition to the kibble you are feeding. I feed it to my dogs....also canned raw green tripe. Adding fresh foods to a commercial diet is a good idea as well. Think of cottage cheese, plain yogurt, boiled egg, sardines and most veg. Variety is good as long as the initial food requirements are met, as with kibble or canned. Good luck, and check these out...

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html
www.tripett.com