Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

As the Kitty World Turns - Sunday edition

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM
OMG, I feel like I'm going to pass out.

I woke up with the intention of just changing the litter boxes, since everything else is clean. As I finally got to the litter box I have in Czarina's area, when I took it out of the corner, I noticed a really nasty smell.

A few days ago she'd peed on the rug I had in front of the litter box. I threw the rug out, not wanting to deal with cleaning it, plus it was a little old anyway. I cleaned that area and figured i ws done. I still felt a slight odor but thought I might just need to buy something a little stronger to clean in there with. Well, it turns out there was pee behind the litter box. Pee mixed with litter so it was hard. *sigh* I took some water and vinegar solution and cleaned it. I mopped and then sprayed some spray I managed to find in the pantry that I forgot I had. It's for cleaning those kinds of odors.

Okay, the bathroom was cleaned, I put a candle in there and kept going. I then decided to mop the floor again, just in case. I came to their living room area and moved this basket I'd bought for Vlad a while back. There were some toys in there, and there. When I moved it, I noticed there was dried pee which had seeped through the basket. I cleaned up the dried icky mess, sprayed some of the odor spray. Then noticed that this big pillow I have for them to lay on also had dried pee on it.

*sigh* I've been noticing an odd odor for days, but because of my allergies and the beginnings of a cold, I figured, I was imagining things. No wonder! It was pee!!!!!!!

I don't want to automatically blame Czarina, but I've never had these issues before. I did have two instances when Kiska was in heat, and the vet told me it was very possible that she was responsible for the pee.

If it wasn't Czarina, then one of the other cats must have felt threatened enough by her to mark the territory. If it was Czarina, then she was marking her territory. But I know for a fact all mine are S/N, so they shouldn't be doing that right? And the vet told me she saw a spay scar on Czarina.

I have her in her area right now. I don't know if I'm going to now be able to allow her access to the apartment. I don't want her peeing all over the place, and I also don't want the resident cats to feel that they should pee all over the place because of her.

Vlad has also been particularly aggressive towards Oksana the last few days too and I'm wondering it it has anything to do with Czarina.

I think this week I'm going to actively begin looking for a good home for her. I know I've upset the balance of the household. And I just feel I need to get that balance back for my sanity and for the sanity of my resident cats.

I'm sorry, I tried, and I feel like a failure compared to so many of you that have taken in strays and have had success. Maybe I just wasn't meant to be a stray rescuer. Maybe I was meant to rescue the 4 I already had and be happy with that.

Winston
January 13th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Ancientgirl! Listens it could any one of them that did the peeing! regardless it has happened....Dont let it get you down!

As for this quote!

I'm sorry, I tried, and I feel like a failure compared to so many of you that have taken in strays and have had success. Maybe I just wasn't meant to be a stray rescuer. Maybe I was meant to rescue the 4 I already had and be happy with that.

YOU WILL NEVER BE A FAILURE IN MY EYES! RATHER A SAINT!

You have done all the important things, you rescued her from the streets, given her food, showed her love, shown her a home and you know what those are the most important things! those are the things that she is going to take from your rescue! now to finish off your rescue you will need to search for a suitable home if that is what is decided! however long it takes just keep her in that little area and if there is tension dont let her out! plain and simple..she is still safe, being loved and fed and taken care of!!

I was thinking does your vet have resident cats? Mine has a couple that have been there for almost 20 years but they also keep cats for Animal Welfare Association here in Hamilton..They usually have about 10 cats kept there that are up for adoption...maybe they would consider your girl! The thing about finding her a home now is that you almost have to know the person to feel comfortable in letting her go! right! do you have any friends that understand cats and issue's like Czarina is having?

The other thing to consider here is this...cats usually dont pee outside the box unless there is something wrong! Most people will ask if you keep the boxes clean and I am sure you do...so usually its their way of telling you there is something wrong..my Tabitha did this and she had a urinary infection...but with 5 you will need to see which one for sure is doing it and that is tough!

Remember what I said! WE SUPPORT YOU! :thumbs up

Cindy

krdahmer
January 13th, 2008, 12:12 PM
You are far from a failure. You've done your best and will continue to until a suitable home is found right? Well...That's more than most would do!! :thumbs up

Just be careful when finding her a home, unless the vet or someone from the rescue vouches for the home, don't hand her over... I'm just so scared for all these animals now with all those sickos out there.:sad:

Czarina is a beautiful girl, and you've started the socialization process with her... I'm sure someone will fall in love with her and be happy to open their home to her. She would be great for an older person who lives alone, just looking for some companionship... another warm body in the house, you know?:lovestruck:

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I was thinking does your vet have resident cats? Mine has a couple that have been there for almost 20 years but they also keep cats for Animal Welfare Association here in Hamilton..They usually have about 10 cats kept there that are up for adoption...maybe they would consider your girl! The thing about finding her a home now is that you almost have to know the person to feel comfortable in letting her go! right! do you have any friends that understand cats and issue's like Czarina is having?

The other thing to consider here is this...cats usually dont pee outside the box unless there is something wrong! Most people will ask if you keep the boxes clean and I am sure you do...so usually its their way of telling you there is something wrong..my Tabitha did this and she had a urinary infection...but with 5 you will need to see which one for sure is doing it and that is tough!

Remember what I said! WE SUPPORT YOU! :thumbs up

Cindy

My vet has a resident cat who is actually the calmest cat I've ever seen. His name is Max and he's been there for a long time. They also don't hold cats for adoption. I'd have to keep her with me until I found a home. I'm giong to go through cat rescue organizations though and I'll post a flyer at the vet's office. I don't want to hand her over to just anyone. She needs to be handled with a little extra care and understanding and I can't just give her over to a first time cat owner or someone who just won't understand she's been a stray. My friends can't help. One has dogs, the other just had hers put down after an illness he couldn't over come, but he was an outside cat. And I'm trying to avoid her being tossed outside again.

It's hard to keep watch over 5, but now that I have her in her area again, I'll know for sure if its her or not. She's been eating well and drinking enough water. I'll keep watch of her for the next week and see if there is anythong wrong. I'm also going to add some of the eco litter I got for free over the present litter. That's supposed to have some kind of a early warning system in it that changes color if there is a problem.

Thank you as always for your support. This is a difficult thing to go through and at least I know I'm not going through it alone. I feel I can come here for support and advice.

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2008, 12:28 PM
You are far from a failure. You've done your best and will continue to until a suitable home is found right? Well...That's more than most would do!! :thumbs up

Just be careful when finding her a home, unless the vet or someone from the rescue vouches for the home, don't hand her over... I'm just so scared for all these animals now with all those sickos out there.:sad:

Czarina is a beautiful girl, and you've started the socialization process with her... I'm sure someone will fall in love with her and be happy to open their home to her. She would be great for an older person who lives alone, just looking for some companionship... another warm body in the house, you know?:lovestruck:

No, I can't hand her over to just anybody. I did get a call from the Cat Network yesterday and the woman left a message. Unfortunately she forgot to leave a number for me to call back. I sent an email and I'm hoping someone gets back to me. I'll keep her until I know there is someone who will understand and help her.

Kristin7
January 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Um, there are also many of us who have had difficulties integrating new cats... raising my hand... It sometimes just doesn't work out. Why beat yourself up about it? You have tried, it's more than many would have done. Think of your home as a foster home for Czarina and feel good about it. I have had to do the exact same thing, confine the new cat as she was peeing outside the box. If it helps any, this has solved the problem, as I'm sure it was the new cat doing it. Czarina just isn't ready to be out with the others, at least, not unsupervised. The new cat in my house was recently let back out of confinement, supervised only, and so far so good, no accidents. Unfortunately, if this doesn't work out, I cannot rehome her as she has been my boyfriends cat for 10 years. I guess he just won't be able to move in anytime in the next 5-10 years until she passes away. Ah well... I wish you luck, but don't be thinking that we have all had it easy. You should feel good that you have 4 that all get along with each other. NONE of mine do.

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I will certainly keep her until I can find her a good home.

Having her loose just isn't working out, and it's making Vlad act a little more aggressive towards Oksana, which he has never done. He has always been slightly dominating towards her, but nothing like this.

Dracko
January 13th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I think one of the biggest problems you've tackled is the lack of space. Or more to the point, a lack of rooms to close off. You are under stress when Czarina is out of her confined space but if she's locked up you probably feel like me and feel badly.

I agree you should think of what you've done as fostering. It would be good if a rescue could find another great home to foster her in or an appropriate home came along quickly.