Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My stressed dog

lovemygirl
January 13th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I have an American Foxhound, which I dearly love, however, she has barking issues that become a barking frenzy, when she sees the other dog, sometimes at people too, mostly on walks.
However, our last neighbours had a dog that she never got to sniff and she constantly barked at them (whole family and the visitors they had) that we had to put up a screen between us which only helped a bit.
I tried obedience classes, different harnesses to stop from pulling, also the citronella anti bark thing.
Those neighbours have since moved, however this moning there were a couple looking at the house and I got so stressed just thinking about dealing with the barking again.
I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
I should also ention that my dog has severe separation anxiety if it makes any difference.

babykitten
March 3rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
yes the ;last part makes an different alot talk to different vets about it good luck:thumbs up

Doguero
March 4th, 2008, 09:43 PM
how old is your dog? how much attention the dog recive?
remember they are fox hunting, they supose to bark a lot, that way the hunter know wehre the fox is.
is very hard to change their nature.
when he/she start barking take a glass of water and trough it to the dog, this isn't cruel, but the dog have to understand who is in control, have to do whatever you want and however you want.
take the dog for running and walking long distances, that way the dog is not stressed, remember foxhound can run and walk around 30 miles a day during a hunting!

regards

Colubridz
March 4th, 2008, 10:16 PM
The fact that you mention he works himself up into a frenzy suggests a more serious problem then throwing water on your dog will do ( not that it wouldnt work as a distraction in some mild situations).

I own a very reactive dog and before I started working with him on it, he would commonly work himself up into what you are describing. I started by working with my OB trainer who happens to do behavioural consultations and did a base line vet check to rule out anything medical.

From here we identified his triggers, which in his case where any approaching dogs/humans when he was on leash. There was no specific type of human or dog that set him off just random ones, and sometimes he was totally fine.

Since he already was recieving between 1-2 hours of physical activity every day on top of training sessions we skipped this part of the treatment plan which is ensuring your dogs physical and mental needs are being met.

We then worked at establishing a control command, a command which when followed properly would make it impossible to carry out his barking, lunging and growling. This was the watch command. We started at home, low distractions and worked on it until dogs a certain distance away would be ignored for high value treats when watching me.

I have been working with Duke for just over 4 months now and have seen drastic improvements, he hasnt worked himself up into a full blown frenzy in two months, and further more when he does identify a dog or person on a walk he doesnt like, I can command a watch, get an immediate response and defuse the situation before it starts.

This however is after four months of guided work through my OB trainer who specialized in behavioural problems with dogs.

So my advice to you

1) get a baseline check done by a vet mention the issues and get them to do full blood work to identify that levels of chemicals are normal as excess or lacking amounts can create edgy/aggressive dogs.

2) contact a behaviouralist, one who can provide you with plenty of references, make sure they dont advocate harsh corrections, reactivity is often fear based and corrections will only intensivy the problem by associating the scary thing he used to bark at with punishment.

3) Go over a treatment plan, be patient and stick with it, you, your dog and your neighbors will be much happier for it.

4) I'd highly recomend picking up a copy of click to calm.