Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

As the Kitty World Turns - Saturday edition

ancientgirl
January 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I took Tiny Miss and Mad Maks to the vet for their final booster shots this morning. They did very well and so now I don't have to take then again until June. Kiska weighed in at just a little over 4 pounds, and Maks a little over 6. I've sighed the Fabulous 5 for what they call their "Junior Wellness" program. I've got Vlad, Oksana and Czarina scheduled for next month. They basically do a lot of preventative labwork, which helps in catching anything they might get early.

I left Czarina loose while I was gone. But I had to put her back into her area just before I left for the movies because Maks was approaching Czarina and she hissed and started going after him, but the little guy turned and ran.

When I got back from the movies I did a few groceries, and got some litter to clean their boxes.

I'm still teetering with Czarina. I was petting her yesterday and she hissed and swatted at me. Had I not taken my hand away fast enough I'd have gotten a nasty scratch. Sometimes I'm very scared to even pet her. When I try to pick her up she gets um, VERY upset.

The vet told me I could put up a flyer in their office to see if someone would give her a good home. But I just don't know.

There is a part of me that would really always wonder what happened to her if I gave her up, but there is also a part of me that wonders if bringing her here has messed with the harmony I had with just the 4.

They don't hang out downstairs as much anymore. And are always on guard, and I feel bad for doing this to them.

It's been a little over 3 weeks I think since I brought her inside. I'd hoped that by now she'd at least have grown comfortable with the others and not want to chase after them hissing.

I feel like I've disrupted her life, my resident cats lives and mine. Would she be happier as the only cat in a household? Would she be happier being allowed inside and out? I just feel off kilter right now and don't know which way to turn.

14+kitties
January 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hey! Welcome back!! Wondered where you were yesterday. :)
You know whatever you decide we are behind you 100%. It's been a ride no matter what.
Czarina may be one of those cats who prefers to not be picked up. She may want to come to you on her terms. I have one like that. Qugee loves to have her belly scratched and head rubbed but don't try to pick her up. I call her my shelf cat because 3/4 of the time that's where I find her... on one of the shelves.
I think that the swatting of the others and you will go on for a while yet. She is still unsure of her role in your house and if she should let the others close.
Time, time, time.

clm
January 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
It's so upsetting bringing a new cat in. She sounds a lot like my neighbours cat. She won't let anyone pick her up, only difference being she's been declawed :frustrated:, so instead of scratching you when you pick her up, she bites, and hard. Always seems to find that spot between your thumb and forefinger. :laughing:
She'll hiss and growl at you too. Doesn't mean she doesn't like you, just doesn't want attention unless it's on her terms only. She'll roll down in front of me on the driveway when I get home from work and then try to bite me if I bend down to pet her. :laughing:
She hates other cats, yet she'll run into my house every morning, knowing full well that I have 3 cats in here and then all hell breaks loose. I'm learning slowly and try to make sure my girls are upstairs behind closed doors when I open up the front door to feed the outdoor cats, but hubby hasn't caught on yet, so in she comes. :laughing:
Now the other cats have gotten used to her, and they can all hold their own with her so I don't really have much to worry about that way. It always sounds worse than it is, there is usually never any real fighting, just lots of screaming. :rolleyes: Then I have to try to get her out of the house.
Now I'm used to all this, but I'm not as sensitive to the positioning and what not that goes along with cats protecting their turf. I've been around it for a long time and my big male is the only one I really have to worry about hurting any of the others. If you're not used to it, it can be hard to watch and listen to. You also have a kitten there to worry about. I found it much harder when Gabby was a kitten dealing with the neighbours cat. Now that she's all grown up, she takes no crap.
If you find it too upsetting, you may want to try to rehome her, but understand, she's may never be a come and sit on your lap and snuggle cat. The home she goes to will have to understand that.

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
14+kitties, I was so busy yesterday at work I hardly had a chance to even get on the board. Then I came home and felt a cold coming on.

My heart aches at having to give her up, but it aches keeping her and seeing the disruption in the dynamic I had once before.

CLM, I can understand her not wanting to be picked up, but there are times when I just have to. Oksana doesn't much like to be picked up, but she won't hiss or bite. I'm wondering what I'm going to do when I have to take Czarina to the vet. How the heck will i get her in a carrier if I don't pick her up?

And her being around Kiska scares the :censored: out of me. At the vet today she weighed in at all of 4 pounds. Maks is putting on weight like gangbusters, he's 6 pounds. I know Kiska will probably just be a small kitty, but right now, she's in a home with at least 3 other cats that outweigh her by a considerable amount, two of which I know will not hurt her, and one I'm very nervous about. Czarina has already hurt her once, and I live with the fear she may try something again.

I need to make clear to anyone I rehome her to what her situation is. I knew this wouldn't be easy, but I didn't think it would be so hard, emotionally.

clm
January 12th, 2008, 10:33 PM
CLM, I can understand her not wanting to be picked up, but there are times when I just have to. Oksana doesn't much like to be picked up, but she won't hiss or bite. I'm wondering what I'm going to do when I have to take Czarina to the vet. How the heck will i get her in a carrier if I don't pick her up?

When you have to pick up a cat like that, you need to be wearing a couple of sweatshirts, something that'll cover your arms well, and a good pair of thick work gloves. One hand holding the scruff of her neck, that sometimes slows them down a little, and then use your other arm to lift and put her in the crate. You can also try wrapping her up in a towel first, that way she can't get her claws on you. The neighbours cat is horrible at the vet and so was my parents ginger cat, I wore 2 pairs of gloves when we took him to the vet. The vet was rather impressed that I was brave enough to hold on to him while he was getting his shots and checked out. :laughing: Sometimes, once a cat realizes they can't frighten you with their nonsense, they settle down a bit. Sometimes they don't.

Dracko
January 13th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I would suggest you put the word out in different ways about Czarina and see what kind of a home comes up. This way you will feel a little less stressed that you aren't committed to keeping her but if the situation changes you can make the decision to. If the right home became available that you had complete confidence in you certainly aren't failing her. Not at all. Perhaps she would prefer to be in a home with less cats? At least this way if you rehomed her you would be able to give them better info about her than if you just tried to place her while she was still an outdoor kitty.

Kristin7
January 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I can certainly understand what you're going through as none of my 3 cats get along. I felt terrible after I brought home Annie from the shelter and she started attacking my resident cat Micki. Micki is too sweet to defend herself but has become a bit of a recluse and is quite grumpy (she hates to be picked up as well, but has always been like that). I can't blame her nor was I able to part with Annie, who basically just wants to play and is very sweet. They just have completely different purrsonalities. I have lived with Micki while she is an only cat and she is completely different, much happier and more confident. It is certainly possible Czarina's purrsonality would be different if she were in a home as the only cat. Not saying you should rehome her, just that if you did, she may be a completely different cat that what you are seeing now. You could just look around and see if you can find her a good home, take your time and who knows, maybe in that time she will adapt to yours... At any rate, at least you got her off the streets and gave her some love and medical care. She won't be having kittens and adding to the problem and is safe indoors.

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Last night there was yet another fight. Thanfully the two little ones were up in bed with me, so it occured with either Oksana or Vlad, who can both defend themselves quite well.

I'm going to contact the Cat Network again and see if they can help me rehome her, and I'm also going to put up a flyer at he vet's office.

I can't trust her to be alone with any of my resident cats. And last night as I was petting her at one point she swatted at my face.

At this point I know this isn't the home for her. I really believe she needs to be an only cat.

Winston
January 13th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Ancientgirl! regardless of what happens to Czarina you still have time to work with her...I think I mentioned about my 2 being rescued from the guy feeding them to a Boa...well Bomber my male they figure took the brunt of the abuse..As I mentioned it took him about 8 months to relax enough for a belly rub...at which point I new no matter how he acted he was some what content enough to expose his belly...He HATES to be picked up!! I mean he crys like you are beating him to death or something!! honestly...it is that horrific sound. He will let me pick him up a bit but I have to hold him really tight and I cant walk around...and only for a short time. He doesnt hurt you because he has no claws but it is tramatic for him..To this day it is the same way 11 years later..although it has improved a bit..If you end up rehoming your little one take the time to find the right person that has the same compassion you hold..and in the mean time work with her as you are now this way she is more adoptable by the time you find someone.. and I would still keep her apart...your other ones will be just fine....cats are pretty resiliant! I think sometimes we worry more for our kitties than they do!!:laughing:

How was she last night?

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Last night was rough. I woke up to Kiska throwing up, then a little while later I woke up to a fight between the bigger cats.

I've got to keep a watch on Kiska, because she made some odd choking sound the other day, so now I've got that on my mind.

I do have to make sure that where she goes she is understood. She can't go to a home where they expect a lap kitty. Maybe someday she will be that, but not for a while.

chico2
January 13th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Ancient,I am sorry to hear that,I thought things were going pretty good,seeing her and the others all together in the pic:confused:
None of my cats like to be picked up and they will scratch or bite if I hold them too long,I actually don't pick them up at all,unless Vinnie wants to hang on my shoulder.
To get Chico and Rocky in to a carrier is a feat on it's own,it takes 2 people,one wearing gloves,especially with Rocky,so I don't think that's unusual.
However,you do what is right for you and all the kitties:cat:
I only worry for her,seeing she is a bit skittish,would someone,maybe not used to cats,but adopting her because she is sooo pretty,dump her in a shelter or the street,because she is difficult:sad:
I would do what you say,put up feelers and see if there is any offers,explain the problem to any possible adopters and see how they react.
Czarina is still much better off than when you found her,she's healthy and spayed.
Why do you not ask your vet for a housecall,rather than bringing 3 cats to the vet at the same time,it would cost a little more,but well worth it,I think.

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Ancient,I am sorry to hear that,I thought things were going pretty good,seeing her and the others all together in the pic:confused:
None of my cats like to be picked up and they will scratch or bite if I hold them too long,I actually don't pick them up at all,unless Vinnie wants to hang on my shoulder.
To get Chico and Rocky in to a carrier is a feat on it's own,it takes 2 people,one wearing gloves,especially with Rocky,so I don't think that's unusual.
However,you do what is right for you and all the kitties:cat:
I only worry for her,seeing she is a bit skittish,would someone,maybe not used to cats,but adopting her because she is sooo pretty,dump her in a shelter or the street,because she is difficult:sad:
I would do what you say,put up feelers and see if there is any offers,explain the problem to any possible adopters and see how they react.
Czarina is still much better off than when you found her,she's healthy and spayed.
Why do you not ask your vet for a housecall,rather than bringing 3 cats to the vet at the same time,it would cost a little more,but well worth it,I think.

I'm going to have to invest in some gloves for her then. I have no real problem getting the others in carriers,

I'm going to certainly have to explain to anyone prospective adopter what her situation is. She certainly cannot go into a home with someone who has no experience with cats, or just wants her because she's pretty. I need to make anyone understand what they are getting into with her.

I'm going to keep her apart from the others while I'm not home and I will start putting her into her area at night again. I can't have them breaking into fights during the night.

Kristin7
January 13th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Annie hates going into the carrier too (until she gets to the vet's, then she doesn't want to get out!). I accidently once found out an easier way, and that is to back her in (rather than trying to get her in head first, nearly impossible). If you haven't tried that it is tons easier. And wear leather gloves. Place the cat in front of the carrier w/ their butt to the door, then push on the cats head gently and they will back in. At least, this works for mine... Also, if you can, store the carrier in her area with the door open and a towel in it and maybe some catnip. Some cats will use it like a dog uses a crate and sleep in there. I don't think it necessarily will make it easier to force the cat to go inside, but it can't hurt to have them be more comfortable in it on a daily basis. I also use a pheromone spray like Feliway for the vet visits. Before you put the cat in the carrier give it a couple spritzes inside and also in your car.

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I've had Feliway diffusers going for the past month, and I have the spray and it doesn't seem to do anything for her.

Kristin7
January 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
The diffusers don't seem to be doing much in my house either. I've also tried the stuff you put in their water and didn't notice any effect... But I had a spray made by a different company and definitely noticed an effect. The spray I think is more for vet visits and other short term traumas, such as a thunderstorm. It also helped my parent's cat so I left it w/ them at xmas (he is really a basket case). It is not a long term solution to anything though. I keep forgetting which company makes it, but just found it on the web - it's called Nutri-Vet pheromone plus spray. It was kinda pricey at Petsmart but the only thing like that I've tried that worked at all.

http://www.nutri-vet.com/pc-104-19-pet-ease-pheromone-plus-spray.aspx

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Thank you. I'm going to give this a try. The diffusers aren't working much for me either, neither is the Feliway spray or the Rescue Remedy.

I'll give this a try. Hopefully I can find it at Petco or Petsmart.

Kristin7
January 13th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Sure, i hope it works. I wonder if some of these things lose effectiveness if used too often? I know if I give my cats catnip every day, they lose interest in it. I think I would save it for only traumatic events, such as a trip to the vet. Good luck! :fingerscr

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
That could be the case. I'll try to find that stuff. I'll try anything at this point.

CyberKitten
January 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I think Feliway or what is the stuff I use (I am so scatterbrained today - it's a bad day), yellow box, health food store, Rescue Remedy - put some of that in her water and see if that helps, along with a Feliway diffuser. Also, is there a way to reintroduce them? Or have you done that already?

I;d hate to see you give up on her. I too have worked with ferals kittens who were so wild they would scratch my eyes out of I picked them up. I gave them their own space, talked calmly to them, played classical or soft music and just let them be. They also had food and toys and I would get a toy with a long handle so they could play and gradually, they would. I kept them completely isolated form my other cats jst because it was not safe and just worsened the situation for my other cats and for the new one. (sometimes, I had more than one new one, sometime sib who would be together which was OK.)

They like small contained spaces and need to feel in control - she feels it is her territory and she is scared. You would be too if all these cats came after you or she though they were. She prob has been defending herself so that's all she knows what to do.

So I know it's tough but pls give her a chance!!! If you can't, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who will and a shelter will likely declare her unadaptable and eutheneize her. Maybe your vet can find someone with experience in cats with her special needs but I really wish you would try it a but more- she is coming around even tho i=t may bot seem so.

Good luck!! :pray:

ancientgirl
January 13th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I just don't know how much longer I can do this. I'm going to keep her in her confined area for the rest of the week and will see about introducing them again. The Feliway isn't working and I've been putting Rescue Remedy in her water daily.

I don't think she's unadoptable, I just don't think she's going to be happy in a home with other cats. I think she would be happier alone. When she's downstairs and all the others are upstairs, she's very affectionate. She'll come and sit on my lap and purr. As soon as one of the others show up, she goes on the defensive.

I think my best bet is a rescue organization that knows how to rehome strays, or my vets office. I'm going to make a pretty flyer and post it on their board tomorrow. I know they have people that go there that work with rescued animals so they might have some very good and reliable connections.

The home she goes to, will be one that has understanding of what a stray has been through and knows how to rehabilitate them. I'm not going to just give her to anyone who wants a cat, I can't do that to her.