Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Iams Smart Puppy

FirstTimePetGuy
January 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM
i'm moving my lil maggie from Nutrience Junior i got from the pet store to Iams Smart Puppy

it says it makes puppies smarter and more trainable. i think its a laugh but i'll flip food and i gave abit to maggie already and she seems to enjoy it very much.

anyone used this puppy food ? and can say it works ?

rainbow
January 12th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I seriously hope you don't believe that marketing ploy. :rolleyes:

You should switch your puppy to one of the premium/holistic brands that are NOT available at your local supermarket or places like Walmart and the large pet chain stores. They are only available at local independent pet or feed stores.

Please take the time to read some of the threads on the Food Forum here for some great suggestions.

Also check out www.dogfoodproject.com and click on "Ingredients to Avoid" on the left hand side of the page as well as the other links there.

Also go to www.dogaware.com which has a kajillion links to check out for excellent information.

Lukka'sma
January 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
How is that cute little maggie doing?

otter
January 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM
it says it makes puppies smarter and more trainable. i think its a laugh
I wouldn't trust any food that would make such claims.

Good for you for trying to find a good food though (and being skeptical).
I'll second rainbows recommendations :thumbs up

LavenderRott
January 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
With corn listed as the second ingredient and chicken by-products listed as the third - this food wouldn't make it into my house.

FirstTimePetGuy
January 12th, 2008, 08:12 PM
How is that cute little maggie doing?

shes doing ok :), playful as ever :P i'll get updated photos up soon :)

Anyone reccomend where i can get good pet foodz for my lil pup ? i want her to get the best i can get :)

Lukka'sma
January 12th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Quite a few of us feed Orijen. It seems to get very good reviews from the members

luckypenny
January 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Have you had a chance to check out the links Rainbow provided? Have a look at the food forum here as well for some ideas of high quality foods. Once you've narrowed it down to one or two you'd like to try, look online for the company's website. It ought to give you a list of distributors/retailers in your area.

FirstTimePetGuy
January 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Quite a few of us feed Orijen. It seems to get very good reviews from the members

got a link ? i'm new to the whole dog scene so i dunno really what food to dog style :)

I fed her Iams today and i think she got way more energy cause shes bouncing around more then usuall and barks more for more playtime :P so i dunno if thats good or bad. :)

rainbow
January 12th, 2008, 10:35 PM
You obviously haven't read any of the information here or on the links I posted. I really wish you would because that is the only way you are going to educate yourself. We should not be the ones that tell you "what" to feed your dog.

I would suggest brands like Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com), Innova and EVO (www.naturapet.com), Go Natural and Go Natural Grain Free(www.petcuren.com), Wellness and Wellness CORE (www.omhpet.com). These are only available at local independent pet and feed stores.

Please come back and ask questions after you have checked out all the information. We are more than willing to help YOU decide.

Goldens4Ever
January 12th, 2008, 11:09 PM
You obviously haven't read any of the information here or on the links I posted. I really wish you would because that is the only way you are going to educate yourself.......

Please come back and ask questions after you have checked out all the information.....

I agree. Take the time to read & learn if you're "new to the whole dog scene." READ, READ, READ, READ, READ, READ.

It would have been ideal to have had this stuff figured out & educated yourself BEFORE acquiring a dog, so you would be prepared, but this isn't a perfect world, unfortunately.

breeze
January 13th, 2008, 08:23 AM
i'm moving my lil maggie from Nutrience Junior i got from the pet store to Iams Smart Puppy

it says it makes puppies smarter and more trainable. i think its a laugh but i'll flip food and i gave abit to maggie already and she seems to enjoy it very much.

anyone used this puppy food ? and can say it works ?

you are funny :laughing::laughing: you are being funny aren't you????
Please tell me you are being funny..:fingerscr

Please look at the sites rainbow gave you and read, then see what is best for your little maggie, so she will grow up to be big and strong..
we can help you make the desion but you have to chose we can not do that for you..

SnowDancer
January 13th, 2008, 12:05 PM
It wouldn't be my first choice by a long shot. BUT I am laughing because for Christmas I bought myself the book "My Smart Puppy" (I love it) - and included with the book was a very basic training DVD featuring the authors - but it was sponsored by IAMS - and the food you are referring to was referenced by the IAMS vet who has a "spot" on the DVD. What I love about the book is that it explains what behaviours will happen if you do X instead of Y - and explains why commands have to be given in a certain way. My Eskie will turn 4 on April Fool's Day - how appropriate - but he is very smart - just stubborn. The book is really intended for new puppies - but also for say an older dog who is rescued - so I decided since Eskies are puppies forever, it would be perfect for us - and it is. FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE - my husband has decided it works. We feed our guy Fromms Salmon. Very good for northern breeds.

mika140
January 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM
At the same time you're researching the kibble sites others have posted links for, I'd really suggest looking into finding a great store that carries the higher end kibbles. Try going to one of the web sites for the companies listed above (such as Orijen, Innova, Eagle Pack, Wellness, etc) and do a store locator search. See what stores you come up with and then go check a few out. A good store should also have samples of high quality kibbles that you can bring home to see what your dog likes. That might help you narrow down your choices :)

Noles1984
January 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I'm not comfortable telling someone what they need to feed their pup. That just starts mini food wars. We all can agree what is not good.

I'm an enemy of Iams and Eukanuba. While they may have been good foods prior to Proctor & Gamble buying them, they surely aren't good now. With Iams Smart Puppy I can find ingredients that are not suitable: Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Fish Meal. I'd substitute (like others have mentioned) with a higher grade kibble. Many if not all have formulas that are all life stage. You're pup can start out right and keep going.