Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question about my boxer

saloma
January 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I have a question for anyone that can give me an idea of what is wrong with Duke. It started last evening and is still continuing this afternoon. He is coughing and almost gagging. Sometimes he coughs up some slimmy foamy white stuff. He was just to the vet last week and was checked out. He is current on all vacinations and they gave him a dose for kennel cough. I don't know if this is something serious or not, if he is choking on something or what. Can anyone help? I feel sorry for him.:cry:
Thank you!

Winston
January 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I would certainly get it checked out at a vet but it sounds a bit like kennel cough....or some type of respiratory illness..either we are not vets here..let us know how you make out!

Would love to see some pics!

Cindy

SnowDancer
January 13th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I agree with Winston. Definitely get your pup checked out - does sound like Kennel Cough. The fact that your dog just had his shots and received the KC shot won't stop him from getting KC - my dog went through this - there are many strains of KC and there is the incubation period. My dog started hacking on a Thurs. night in June at about 8:00 p.m. - and continued all night. We were at vet's next morning first thing - and he was prescribed a cough suppressant which worked really well. Apparently dogs who have been vaccinated ofter recover more quickly than those who don't. I didn't waste any time getting to vet because in 1976 our just adopted from the HS Beagle came down with worst case KC and there were no treatments for it at that time, so I was worried.

saloma
January 16th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks for at least easing my mind a little bit until I could get Duke to the vet. Took him in Monday and you were right, it is Kennel Cough. After one dose of an antibiotic, the coughing has stopped almost completely. Vet said I could give him Robitusin, too, but it won't be necessary. This is the first time he has gotten sick in the 5 years we've had him and have never experienced anything like this with any other pet so its nice to know I have a place to come to with my questions about my "kids with fur." Thanks again. Jody