Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs and babies

vfrohloff
January 12th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I'm so sad. Benny, our 10 year old Greyhound doesn't like our baby. Benny has always been very attached to me, and I've tried hard to keep things the same as before Jake was born,but I guess for Benny things aren't the same. He pees and poos on the floor almost every day. We've always had soiling issues with him, but since Jake's been born it's way worse. I woke up this morning to a pile of poop and a stream of pee on my kitchen floor (the same floor my son crawls on every day). The final straw came yesterday when Benny growled at my son. Jake was about 4 feet away from the dog and was minding his own business and Benny put his head up, looked at him, and growled. We've had Benny to the vet for a complete work up and there's nothing physically wrong with him, the vet says it's behavioral and that Benny is too attached to me and is jealous of the baby. We put him on Clomicalm for a few months and it helped but it's very expensive and Benny was still peeing and pooping on the floor every other day. I don't know what to do :shrug: I've contacted the lady at Greyhound rescue to see if she can help me, but I'm thinking at this point that Benny may be happier in another house without kids.

BusterBoo
January 12th, 2008, 08:02 AM
:sorry: I really don't know what to say.......it's a shame that that Benny didn't bond with your son.

Of course, your Jake's safety must come first and hopefully the Rescue can help you out. :fingerscr

amatazes
January 12th, 2008, 08:35 AM
have you spoken to a trainer about it? it's hard but you've had him for 10 yrs. maybe you can try to work through it?

If not, the rescue is the best place to go. Good luck.

the gang
January 12th, 2008, 09:48 AM
i have sent you a private email hope this helps brenda.

TinasTroops
January 12th, 2008, 10:07 AM
From one greyhound owner to another, I beleive Benny is now telling you that he is not happy in this enviroment. Some dogs not just greyhounds would prefer not to be in the company of children.

I see this from time to time at our kennel and just recently dealt with a foster who was in the EXACT same situation as your in.

I work hard with him to break him of his issues and aggression, but it worked - unfortunatly breaking him of not wanting to be around babies and small kids will not happen.

Knowing that you dog may need to go to an adult only home is the best thing you can do for him. We all need to be happy and you determining that he may be happy somewhere else, eventhough it is difficult on you is the best thing you can do for Benny.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you both during this time, I will be only to happy to provide what I can.

I'm so sad. Benny, our 10 year old Greyhound doesn't like our baby. Benny has always been very attached to me, and I've tried hard to keep things the same as before Jake was born,but I guess for Benny things aren't the same. He pees and poos on the floor almost every day. We've always had soiling issues with him, but since Jake's been born it's way worse. I woke up this morning to a pile of poop and a stream of pee on my kitchen floor (the same floor my son crawls on every day). The final straw came yesterday when Benny growled at my son. Jake was about 4 feet away from the dog and was minding his own business and Benny put his head up, looked at him, and growled. We've had Benny to the vet for a complete work up and there's nothing physically wrong with him, the vet says it's behavioral and that Benny is too attached to me and is jealous of the baby. We put him on Clomicalm for a few months and it helped but it's very expensive and Benny was still peeing and pooping on the floor every other day. I don't know what to do :shrug: I've contacted the lady at Greyhound rescue to see if she can help me, but I'm thinking at this point that Benny may be happier in another house without kids.

vfrohloff
January 12th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Thank you very much for all your support. I am the kind of person who believes that adopting an animal is for life, but I truly feel that Benny would be much happier without kids and so many other pets (I have 5 cats and 1 other Greyhound).:sad: I don't want to give him away, but I don't think I have a choice. If he's growling at my son when he's not even near him then we have a problem, not to mention the fact that I clean pee and poo every day. I'm very concerned though that no one will want to adopt a 10 year old dog with soiling issues, what do I do then? Poor Benny, he just looks so miserable all the time. :sad:

TinasTroops
January 12th, 2008, 10:59 AM
What is transpiring with your other greyhound? And how will removing Benny effect that greyhound in the home?

Victoria, you have no worries at all about finding Benny a Home - here in Ontario some of us scramble to adopt older dogs like this.

I recently "sorta" adopted our 5th greyhound Cyah. She was returned to the kennel 2 weeks before christmas at the wonfderful age of 9 1/2. My other female I adopted last year after her 7th birthday and will be 8 in April.

Rest assure in the greyhound world, age makes no difference and Benny will find a home soon.

Let me positive and try and work through this for everyone involved.

Thank you very much for all your support. I am the kind of person who believes that adopting an animal is for life, but I truly feel that Benny would be much happier without kids and so many other pets (I have 5 cats and 1 other Greyhound).:sad: I don't want to give him away, but I don't think I have a choice. If he's growling at my son when he's not even near him then we have a problem, not to mention the fact that I clean pee and poo every day. I'm very concerned though that no one will want to adopt a 10 year old dog with soiling issues, what do I do then? Poor Benny, he just looks so miserable all the time. :sad:

vfrohloff
January 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Sophie is 7 years old and although she loves Benny, I think she'll be fine without him. She seems to have "adopted" one of our cats, Ted, and prefers to cuddle up with him at night. Quite frankly I think Sophie would be happier with Benny gone. There would be less stress in the house in the mornings, and in general, and I'd have time to give her more attention if I wasn't cleaning up after Benny every day. I'm sure she picks up on the fact that I'm depressed a lot these days.

TinasTroops
January 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM
That is really good to know - thanks for the extra info.

Sophie is 7 years old and although she loves Benny, I think she'll be fine without him. She seems to have "adopted" one of our cats, Ted, and prefers to cuddle up with him at night. Quite frankly I think Sophie would be happier with Benny gone. There would be less stress in the house in the mornings, and in general, and I'd have time to give her more attention if I wasn't cleaning up after Benny every day. I'm sure she picks up on the fact that I'm depressed a lot these days.

TinasTroops
January 13th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Victoria - Any news from the adoption group?

vfrohloff
January 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Well, it looks like we have a home for Benny :thumbs up This is great news but I am very very sad :cry2: I will miss him so much. However, this lady seems like she will give Benny a great home. She had a Grey who passed away a few months ago and is ready for another one. I know it is the right decision for everyone but I still can't stop crying. How am I going to hand him over to someone else? He's MY dog and I love him. This is very hard. Am I doing the right thing.:confused:

Love4himies
January 15th, 2008, 06:08 AM
:grouphug: to you, this must be very hard, but your child must come first. You did the right steps to rehome Benny and it will work out.

Will you be able to visit with Benny?

amatazes
January 15th, 2008, 09:31 AM
sad but I'm so glad it worked out for you.

14+kitties
January 15th, 2008, 09:37 AM
:grouphug::grouphug:
Will she let you visit with him?