Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog ares

baby1307
January 12th, 2008, 12:20 AM
im having a problem rcently my dog ares has started having a little trouble with his back legs at firs it just seemed to be sore on a rear occasion but to day he got up and his legs were shacking extremly he walked down the stairs but had trouble getting back up and he doesnt seem to want to get up unless he really has to. he is a rotteweiker he is only 2 and a half and considering how pricy vets are i wanted to know if i should just keep an eye out and see if he gets better before freaking out or if this is true cause for concern. he isnt whinning when u touch or even massage his legs ad hips and he doesnt seem to be in any pain but then rottis are to tough for their own good. if you can give me some advice i would be for ever greatfull. thank you

rainbow
January 12th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Yes, this is a true case for concern. He is only 2 yr. old and should not be having problems like that. Please take him to the vet asap. Good luck and post with an update. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Beckyboo82
January 12th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Rotts are known to have hip dysplasia (sp?) and because they are large dogs they are more prone to arthritis as well.I would take him to the vet just to be on the safe side,to make sure he doesn't have an underlying problem.

baby1307
January 12th, 2008, 08:40 PM
thank you so much for the reply and please feel free to keep making sugestions. I will let u know how he is doing

rainbow
January 13th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Among other things, this could also be a complication of diabetes. Please take him to the vet asap.

SnowDancer
January 13th, 2008, 01:48 PM
You should take your dog to the vet immediately.

rainbow
January 14th, 2008, 05:03 AM
How is Ares? Do you have an update? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

baby1307
January 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM
dear readers

thank you again for your concern. I was very worried this weekend so i called the emergency vet on saturday night. they asked me what were the symptoms and told me they did not feel that it was a big enough emergency for them but suggested i go see the vet on monday. As i am new to edmonton and didnt have a vet here i called around to all of the people i knew and asked for referals. By sunday night however Ares was quickly getting back to his old selve. He came up the stairs with out any help and even found time to fallow the cat through the house which the cat does not appriciate. Monday i called the vet anyway told her what happened and asked to set an appointment. I was in formed that the earliest they could get me in was thursday but that since he was doing better I should monitor him and if it keeps getting better i should go in in a week just for a regular check up. They also told me that it sounded like what he did was pull something while playing out side in the snow with his brother jag our 2 and a half old black lab. so we are doing just that and everyday he seems better and better.:thumbs up