Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Puppy Drank Antifreeze

Puppy_Pal
January 11th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I had my 8 month old labradoodle (Layla) over to my parents tonight, I took her for a walk and when we got back there, I went into my car to get something. When I poked my head out, I noticed she was drinking from a puddle. I told her to stop and thought nothing more of it and went inside. My mom actually asked if she could give Layla some water, and I said sure because she seemed thirsty, she was drinking from the puddle out in the parking lot. That's when my dad spoke up and said that the neighbours truck had a bad antifreeze leak and that there was a puddle of it. (It was dark out so I didn't notice the colour). Sure enough, we inspected it with a flashlight and it was bright green.
I called my 24hour vet emergency # and rushed her there. He force fed her really gross charcoal to absorb the antifreeze and started her on a drip of alcohol for 3 days. I guess this helps it not to crystalize and helps prevent kidney failure.
I really hope everything is ok...she has to stay there for 3 days.
Has anyone ever had this happen? Did your animal come out ok?? I have read some really bad things. I got her there quick so he thinks there's a really good chance things will be ok, but I still wonder if there could be long term damage, or the chance things won't be ok.....anyone have any ideas?

shredy
January 11th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I have not had personal experience with this, but you are very fortunate that you discovered it before too much time had passed. The first 24 hours are critical. I wish you and Layla luck on a speedy and uncomplicated recovery :fingerscr:fingerscr

otter
January 11th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with it but I just wanted to send lots of good vibes your way :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

Very scary, I sure hope Layla will be OK. You did just the right thing getting her to the vet so quick :thumbs up

14+kitties
January 11th, 2008, 11:38 PM
:fingerscr for little Layla. I hope she recovers successfully. What a tough thing to go through. We will keep her in our thoughts.:goodvibes:

Frenchy
January 11th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Good for you to have gotten her so fast to your vet , I'm pretty sure she will be fine :fingerscr

rainbow
January 11th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I don't have personal experience either but I've also heard that if they get vet treatment right away then they usually will be okay. :grouphug:

Good luck and keep us posted. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

rainbow
January 11th, 2008, 11:55 PM
From http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/antifreeze.html ....

Antifreeze poisoning occurs in two stages: In the first stage, the ethylene glycol in the antifreeze causes a drunken appearance in the animal within about 30 minutes which may continue for several hours. After passing through stage 1, the animal appears to recover. Stage 2 begins when the dog's liver begins metabolizing the ethylene glycol, changing it into more toxic substances. Within 12 to 36 hours of ingestion, these metabolites have reached such a level that the dog's kidneys stop functioning, and the animal slips into a coma.

Getting the dog to a veterinarian is critical within the first 9-12 hours following ingestion. After that length of time, the liver will have already begun metabolizing the ethylene glycol into substances that cause kidney failure and ultimately death. I have been asked the question by several people-What should be done immediately care for my pet. Should I induce vomiting or give activated charcoal to my pet? These are very short term fixes and not a cure. The faster your pet is treated by a veterinarian the better the chances of recovery. Again, this poison is extremely toxic.

Puppy_Pal
January 12th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I just read the antifreeze tab here...that's pretty scary stuff. It says that a medium sized dog would have to drink 3-4 tablespoons for it to be toxic...I don't think I let her get that much. I stopped her pretty quick.
I guess I'll find out in the next couple of days. I'll be talking to the vet in the morning...:fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
January 12th, 2008, 03:02 AM
:goodvibes::fingerscr for good news tomorrow for Layla :grouphug:

Kristin7
January 12th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I hope your pup will be ok! I'm sure it helped tremendously to get her to the vet so quickly. I know you are worried about her but if possible, could someone clean up the spill so no other animals drink it? Cats and dogs both like the taste, unfortunately... :goodvibes: for you and Layla.

SolaMio
January 12th, 2008, 08:13 AM
:goodvibes: From me too! I hope Layla will be a-ok (Layla is my calico's name, too!)

I really wish there was a way that companies who manufacture antifreeze could put an additive in it that makes it repulsive to animals. :lightbulb: Seems logical, doesn't it???

hazelrunpack
January 12th, 2008, 11:31 AM
As quickly as you got her to the vet, there's a very good chance that she'll be okay!

:goodvibes: for Layla!

Puppy_Pal
January 12th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I know you are worried about her but if possible, could someone clean up the spill so no other animals drink it? Cats and dogs both like the taste, unfortunately....

I talked to my dad already, and he is going to dilute it with water and throw dirt on it or something this morning.
I just got off the phone with my vet. He said he was trying to take another urine sample from her this morning, but she was more interested in playing haha...that layla for sure, just like after she was spayed, just play play.
I know this stuff can take affect later, so I think tomorrow will be a real factor in saying if it had any affect.........:fingerscr So far So good...thanks for everyone's concern and wishes :)

Frenchy
January 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
She wants to play ? :thumbs up I'm glad she's doing good , will keep sending you and Layla some :goodvibes:

meg4050
January 12th, 2008, 02:21 PM
It's definitley a good thing that you got her to the vet so quickly and she's active at the vet.

I unfortunatley have had experience with this. My pitbull, Morgan, as well as 2 other dogs in the neighbourhood were poisoned with antifreeze. Morgan ingested quite a bit and it did a lot of damage. We lost her a year later to severe liver damage after trying numerous treatmeants.

BUT, on the more positive side of things, our other dog did ingest some but not very much, probably equivalent to what your dog did, and he jumped back immediatley. The other two dogs also came out ok!

:goodvibes: for Layla!

rainbow
January 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Hope Layla is on the road to recovery. :grouphug: Sending lots of good wishes your way. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

clm
January 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I hope your puppy is going to be fine. :fingerscr there's no damage done.

Antifreeze is one that that I've always worried about. I don't let my dogs drink from any puddle unless it's in our own back yard. Not easy to do when out for a walk with a couple of water tanks like mine are, as soon as they see a puddle, they want to go for it, but it's not allowed, ever.

Cindy

otter
January 12th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I sure wish there was something you could add to the stuff to make it yucky to animals. I worry too. I have to put plumbing antifreeze in my drains in the winter to keep the p-traps from freezing and I always worry one of the critters might find a way to get to it.

:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: Heading Layla's way! I sure hope everything is OK.

Puppy_Pal
January 13th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Well...Layla came home today. She's pretty drunk from the alcohol, a bit wobbly...and a bad case of diarhea, but other than that...she's ok.
He checked her urine for crystals forming and she was all clear...thank God.
He DID say that there were "struvite" crystals in her urine though that are usually related to diet. She's on Innova, so I thought that was a good diet.
He's not sure if they could be there from the alcohol or what so he wants to check in a week to see.
I'm glad things are good now, so hopefully this clears itself too....

Thanks for everyone's good wishes.

hazelrunpack
January 13th, 2008, 03:13 PM
:grouphug: That's great news, Puppy Pal, give or take a few struvite crystals :D With any luck, they'll disappear as she recovers from the treatment.

What a close call! :grouphug:

Tommysmom
January 13th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Yay, good to hear she's ok! Crystals are certainly not the worst thing in the world compared to what could have happened... my pup had struvites a while back when he was sick from other things and they went away on their own as he got better. Hopefully that will happen for you, too.

You did an amazing job paying attention to what your puppy was doing and seeking treatment immediately! I know from personal experience how expensive emergency vets are, and it shows what a caring, responsible owner you are that you rushed her in there and didn't let the cost deter you. Layla is a very lucky pup to have such a wonderful owner:).

rainbow
January 13th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Glad Layla is home and, hopefully, has a complete and speedy recovery. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Bear_Down
December 2nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
I may be new to the forum but not to the trial and tribulations to pet ownership.....A little known fact about anti-freezs is that Vodka is a natural neutralizer. So if you're pet drinks it chase it with some vodka THEN take the pet to the vet this will stop the Poison in it's stomache giving you a longer time frame for the vet to work in....