Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat is afraid of weirdness...

marky0140
January 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM
So this is cute, and it sucks. My kitty, about 6 months, and HUGE for his age, is deathly afraid of the floor in my bedroom since the other night. He's fine up on the desk or bed, but utterly terrified of the floor, and tries to avoid as much as possible touching the floor to get out of the room. So he'll tentatively set up and plan a route out, then leap as far as possible toward the door and do this weird hop skip out. Very very cute, but sort've depressing because he doesn't hang out on my desk anymore. The only thing I can think of that caused this was the other day he reached up and pulled a popcorn bowl down from my desk, and it narrowly missed him. He didn't exactly freak out at the time, aside from the surprise. And he has no problem curling up on the couch with me, but he won't go near my room and gets nervous at even approaching it. How do I reintroduce him to my room without making him even more scared. :shrug: Any ideas?

Marty'sMum
January 11th, 2008, 11:14 PM
The only thing I can think of would be to try to associate your room with a good experience for him. If he's only six months old, he will likely come around once he realizes that it was just a one-time thing. Maybe try leaving him some cat treats, show it to him and let him come in on his own to get them??? If he sees he can enter and nothing bad happens, he will settle down, I'm sure. I have two cats of my own, one is pretty skittish, so I make sure I am really gentle with her. You do have to let them come around on their own though, forcing them will only make it worse.
Hopefully this helps, I'm not sure what else to suggest...

marky0140
January 11th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Yea, I've never seen anything like this before. He's absolutely least skittish cat I've ever had. This is a relatively new place for him too, but he adjusted in under a day and made it his little kingdom. I've been trying to lure him in with food, but it takes almost half a days serving to get him 6 feet in the door, and then eventually he isn't hungry anymore. When he gets about 6 feet in, he also starts to check around. I generally close the door when I'm out, and when I'm here he's always just hanging out behind my monitor snoozing, so aside from the terrifying plastic pink popcorn bowl incident I can't even think of a time he's been scared. I'm going to clean my room and check if he's scared of a piece of clothing or something... Any more ideas would be great, or any other weird cat/dog phobias you can recall :D

14+kitties
January 11th, 2008, 11:35 PM
See, another sign you should keep your room clean. :rolleyes:
A noise such as a bowl hitting a floor would be very scary to a kitty. Especially when he is in a fairly new place. He might not be as adjusted as you think.
Is it a carpeted floor? Hardwood? Maybe the white stuff coming down around him startled him and he thinks there is more of it around. It really is hard to say.
Maybe (after your room is clean of course) you could keep your door open just a little while you are out and he may take it upon himself to give your room another try. Sometimes it just takes time and a lot of patience on our parts.
Good Luck :)
And welcome to Pets.ca. When you are able to post pics we would love to see him!!

danaekitty
January 21st, 2008, 04:48 PM
My cat loves to play on our bed with us - she chases bits of plastic that we drag around on the bedspread, jumps in the sheets when we're making the bed, that sort of thing. If you can get your cat to stay on the bed and play with him for awhile, maybe he'll get an idea that the bedroom is a playing room and enjoy being in there - my cat tries REALLY hard to get us to chase her in there so that we'll play with her.

Do you have a basement? Maybe there are mice under the floorboards or the furnace is making weird noises. Definitely you should start keeping your bedroom door open so he can explore if he feels the need. Also, try luring with catnip.

Masha
January 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
Try putting treats near the room, and every day putting them closer and closer to your room, evenutally feeding treats in the room and getting him to associate it as a positive space.

Good Luck :fingerscr

pglewis
January 22nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
Sounds like he just got spooked by something at some point. Eventually it usually goes away on its own, in my experience.

I personally think it's best not to lure or coax him in. Pay too much attention to the situation and he may continue to be wary. Just go on with life as normal. Nothing out of the ordinary about that room to you, after all.

I did have a cat that was afraid of "under the couch" for no explainable reason, and he remained spooked about it his whole life. Lift the flap under the couch to clean or whatever and he'd jump straight in the air if he was nearby. But if the flap was down he'd sit right in front of the couch just fine.