Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gerber baby food for a senior pom?

nedwards
January 11th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Hello, I have a 15+ yr old Pom who is very thin. She eats Science diet (senior) can food, but I would like to supplement her diet.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BusterBoo
January 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hi and welcome (don't think I have seen you around!)

Wow....your doggie is over 15 yrs old! You are so lucky to have been fortunate to have a furbaby for that long.

Has she been seen by a Vet recently? You say she is thin.....is this a new thing or has she always been small? Has she stopped eating? Is she healthy other than being a little thin?

I only feed Buster kibble, but always have some treats (brocolli, cheese, peanut butter, chicken, etc etc) around. He likes the variety! :D

As for baby food.....I fed my Harley Dude baby food (Heinz chicken) when he was very sick for several months. He LOVED it! I am not sure if it is the ideal supplement (actually.....I am sure there is better stuff for dogs), but you can always ask your Vet what he thinks.

Any pictures of your little one????

rainbow
January 12th, 2008, 12:22 AM
When was the last time your dog was seen by a vet? A senior dog should have a complete blood panel done at least once a year to rule out any medical issues.

Newer research shows that older pets benefit from a diet with more high quality protein. I would stop feeding her the Science Diet as the majority of its protein comes from corn and other carbohydrates. Protein from meat sources is of much higher quality.

I would switch her to one of the grain free foods like Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com), Innova EVO (www.naturapet.com), Wellness CORE (www.omhpet.com) or Go Natural Grain Free (www.petcurean.com).