Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need help with my Neapolitan!!!

Neo2006
January 11th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I dont know what to do about my dog. When we leave the house you never know what he is going to do. On occasions we have left him for a few hours come back and hes just sleeping, but the majority of the time when we leave and come back he has moved the couch gone to the bathroom on the floor, ripped into the garbage can if we have forgotten to move it, taken any dishes that are in the sink out and scattered them, chewed books and magazines!!! I don't know what to do and we really don't want to get rid of him! Can someone help please????

SARAH
January 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM
You say neo2006, I take it your dog is 2 years old max? Neopolitan Mastiffs, like most dogs that size, are mental puppies until the age of 3. In other words, he's most likely testing his boundaries/ your patience right now because he's getting closer to adulthood and wants the position of alpha male!

So much for the why (maybe), but what to do about it ... I could suggest crating him, but if you've never done that before it won't be an easy task most likely. Also, obedience classes to show him clearly who the alpha is (and it's not him!).

I'm sure you'll get other suggestions too :D

breeze
January 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM
first of all welcome to the forum!!

is this the first time you are leaving him for long pirods of time??
has he being doing this often or just started this??

now put EVERYTHING away.. do the dishes put magazines away in a drawer or high up so he can not reach them..lock up the garbage, put it somewhere that he can not get at it.. put everything that you think he will distroy or rip apart away, do not leave anything on the counters or tables..

get yourself a couple of "kongs" black ones and fill them up with either kibble or his favotire treats.. you can give him a kong when you leave.. He might finish it fast or it might take him a while to get all the treats out, depends on the dog..

have you ever created?? you can also confine him to one area of the house like the kitchen, when you go way..
How often do you take him out?? do you take him out just before you are ready to leave?? if you do this the chances of him peeing or pooping in the house might be redused..
how much excerise does he get?? if he is not getting enough excerise he will probably be board when you leave..

SnowDancer
January 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I have a 3 year and 9 month Eskimo - apparently they also mature late - usually around age 3 - OR NEVER - puppies to the end. I suggest you follow the advice given above - especially regarding keeping things out of the dog's way. No matter the size of the dog, where there is a will there is a way. Nothing like seeing a 10 lb. Dachshund who has had back surgery push a chair to the counter and swing himself up to the counter - Dachshunds are seriously food obsessed. Eskies are obsessed with everything - food and especially paper products. If you are able to crate that would be crate. Unfortunately my Eskimo has crate fears as a result of life before us, so not an option for him. He may only weigh 22 lbs. but Eskies have the jaws and claws of death and can destroy toys etc. faster than a Rotti. Obedience helps to some extent, but like people they can't resist certain things. My husband seems to have same issues - especially food wise.

Neo2006
January 15th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Thank you for all the information! I have tried the kongs and toys he will play with them but only for about 10 mins! I have cleaned everything up put stuff away but some how he still finds something to chew on or destroy! I did the crate training unfortunately the lady who had him as a pup allowed him to go to the bathroom in it. Now if I lock him in he will still go to the bathroom if I leave it open he will go in it and go to the bathroom! Sometimes we leave and everything is fine he has been very good! I am at a loss, I guess I just have to keep trying. Thanks for all the help and if you have any ideas I would greatly appreciate them!