Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thinking of fostering...

waste of paint
January 11th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think that I am ready to handle it now. I'm a student but I'm only gone for 2-3 hours maximum a couple of days a week, and I do all of my studying at home. My building doesn't allow dogs, but I can have cats or any other small mammals/reptiles. I have a couple of concerns though:

- I have a kitten, and he eats raw. I can feed separately but I can't leave dry food lying about because he's a little piggie.

- I live in a studio apartment, meaning the only way I can separate Tommy and the foster animal(s) is by putting one in the bathroom.

- I'm not sure if I'm allowed to bring animals on the bus/metro if I have to bring them to the vet or adoption events. I have a small cage and I am willing to do so if it is possible, though.

- I can't take care of another animal financially, except for buying food if I can feed a homecooked or raw diet (as this only costs me about $10-15/month at the moment). I know some places take care of vet bills, and this is what I would need.

Do you guys think I'd qualify? I know I'm not the ideal foster home, but my heart breaks when I see all of the rescue listings but I can't provide a permanent home right now, and I really really want to help. :(

Frenchy
January 11th, 2008, 01:44 PM
You can start by calling Montreal spca. They give you food for the fosters and if they need to see a vet (you have to bring them to their vets) it will only cost you $5.00 per visit.

poodletalk
January 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM
HI Waste of Paint,

You can also contact Steri-Animal which is a great group that focuses on trap and release of feral cats.

Many times, the female cats have kittens and they need foster homes for the kittens. Also, if the cat isn't feral, they take it into their rescue and foster homes are always needed.

The foster cordinator, brings and picks up the cats for you. The only thing is requested is, they have adoption days on the week-ends, if your cat or kitten is scheduled to be an adoption day clinic, be flexible enough with your schedule for the volunteer to pick up or drop off the cat/kitten after the adoption clinic.

All the vet expenses are paid for by the group...I get emails regularly from them that they are in search of foster homes.

If you want their email address let me know.

SARAH
January 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM
You can start by calling Montreal spca. They give you food for the fosters and if they need to see a vet (you have to bring them to their vets) it will only cost you $5.00 per visit.

MOKA !! You could start with her !! Or that new Golden ... what was his name? Chico?

14+kitties
January 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
MOKA !! You could start with her !! Or that new Golden ... what was his name? Chico?

Sarah darlin' - read the first paragraph. She can't have dogs hon!!!

SARAH
January 11th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Crap, sorry ... I just saw fostering and thought of the two poor doggies. My mistake :o (typical me :frustrated: )

Frenchy
January 11th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Sarah darlin' - read the first paragraph. She can't have dogs hon!!!

Calm down Sarah calm down :laughing:

14+kitties
January 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
It's quite all right Sarah. You know we love you in all yer' :crazy:ness :D

It's just fantastic waste of paint wants to foster!!!!!! Doesn't much matter what pet, just the help!!

Now I need to talk hubby into taking a few more. ;)

jiorji
January 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I

- I'm not sure if I'm allowed to bring animals on the bus/metro if I have to bring them to the vet or adoption events. I have a small cage and I am willing to do so if it is possible, though. (

you can if they're in a cage

waste of paint
January 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Awww, you guys have no idea how much I'd love to have a dog around! I was a dog person growing up but now that I live on my own I'm a cat lady. ;)

poodletalk: Steri-Animal sounds great for me! My schedule is wide open, and my best friends (also cat ladies! :laughing:) live in my building and would be willing to help out if ever there was an emergency. I'd love to have their email address if you don't mind. Thank you.

I'll contact the SPCA as well. Thanks, Frenchy! :)

poodletalk
January 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Check your pm's, I sent you the organizers personal email address.

waste of paint
January 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for all of the info, everyone! You guys are angels. :angel: