Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about the health of our cats

lyricxenia
January 11th, 2008, 09:29 AM
We noticed some bright red blood in the stools of one of our cats this morning. Is this normal, they are both spayed female cats and we have not noticed this before. I would like some help before we spend potentially some unnecessary money to go to the vet if this is normal.
Thanks for your help,

Love4himies
January 11th, 2008, 09:35 AM
No it is definitely not normal. I would bring a feces sample to a vet along with your cat to be tested.

Mamakicia
January 12th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Cats can get blood in the stool from colitis. Colitis itself can result from stress. And we all know that the smallest change in a cat's daily routine can be cause for stress. For example, when I moved my cat from my parents house to my condo when I got married, my cat was so stressed that he got blood in his stool, plus vomiting. A few days later, plus prednisone and metronidazole (both of which taste extremely disgusting to cats, kids and adults alike), he was no better. Within a few hours of moving him back to my parents' house, he was all better, and that's where he has stayed. Another cat was very stressed from an ear infection and medication administration, and also got blood in the stool. Once things normalized with his ear, the stool normalized.

I'm not telling you that blood in the stool is never serious; however, the top few causes at the top of the list are generally self-limited. It would be more rare to have a serious cause for the bleeding.

Have either of your cats had abnormal stress or been acting funny recently? I would monitor for the next day or so, paying particular attention to her eating and toileting. I would probably also grab a poop sample into a baggie, in case you do end up going to the vet. If you're brave, you can try to take a rectal temperature :yuck:

Kristin7
January 12th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Does the cat also have diarrhea? I had a cat previously who would occasionally get enteritis and would have some blood in the stool and diarrhea. This needed antibiotics to clear up. Highly recommend you get the cat to the vet. Are either of them acting any different? Are they both eating and drinking normally?

kiara
January 12th, 2008, 04:32 PM
You are not telling us the age of your cat. The cause could be several different things. But often blood in the stool means that your cat could be constipated. The blood is from straining. You need to bring your cat to the vet.

Beckyboo82
January 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I have had that problem before with one of my cats and luckily it turned out to be nothing. I hope it's the same for your kitty:pray: I would take him in though just to be on the safe side and like someone else on here had mentioned...bring a fresh stool sample with you. Good luck!!