Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

High liver enzyme level - Rudy

dmc123
January 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Hi all,

I post mostly here to add funny pics and stories about the Quads and their other siblings. This time I have a question about Rudy and his blood test today that showed a high ALP liver level.

Background: Rudy will be 12 yrs old on Feb.1. He has had epileptic seizures since age 1 yr. No pattern, no routine. He can have 2 a day, then none for 2-3 months.

Took him to vet today to get good checkup and ask about glucosamine to aid in what I guessed was a bit of arthritis. Vet confirmed that. Said glucosamine would be very helpful to him.

We discussed his seizures and she wanted to test his blood to make sure things were ok. Found one level of liver was ok, the other was higher than normal - ALP. (I have just begun my search for information on these things).

She also noticed his teeth needed cleaning - yes, I knew this. But they also noticed he had a chipped/broken front tooth. So, he had his sedation - cleaning and extraction today.

She also prescribed Denosyl for 30 days for the liver problem. Then we get him checked again.

Now for the questions - anybody here know what I might be looking at with Rudy and these high levels? What questions should I ask when we go back in 30 days? Anything, advice or recommendations to help with this in the meantime?

All input is appreciated. And his teeth look so nice! Wow!

Diane

TeriM
January 10th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Do you have the actual ALP numbers? Was it significantly higher or just slightly elevated?

dmc123
January 10th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I have the number, forget what she said was normal - think 100-125? His was 781.

Diane

dmc123
January 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I just found a site that states the normal ALP level is 20-150

Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP): 20-150 IU/L

Diane

TeriM
January 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Lucy was diagnosed years ago with chronic active hepatitis and was basically given about six months to live. We did a course of Denysol (i think that was the stuff) and also did a bunch of supplements. My vet had wanted me to switch to low protein food but I decided to stick with the raw. I initially supplemented with Vit E, Acidophilus, Milk Thistle, aloe vera juice and digestive enzymes. Six months later her tests had greatly improved and a year later she was normal :thumbs up. The liver has an amazing ability to regenerate so hopefully this applies to your Rudy :fingerscr.

I've also heard that SamE is an amazing liver supplement that was just becoming available when we had our issues. You should look into that.

dmc123
January 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Thank you TeriM for that great info....and glad to hear that your Lucy did well.

Diane

sugarcatmom
January 10th, 2008, 09:25 PM
You could also ask your vet about Denamarin (http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/animal/denamarin/index.asp), which is a combo of denosyl (same thing as SAMe) and silybin/silymarin (from milk thistle).

TeriM
January 10th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Woops, my memory just cleared :o. Actually, when first diagnosed we did a course of antibiotics and started using a drug called ursodial. We used that for about 3 months I think :o.

dmc123
January 10th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks TeriM and sugarcatmom,

I hope to hear from more that know about this stuff too.

Diane

rainbow
January 11th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I would also suggest the Milk Thistle and SAMe supplements.

dmc123
February 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
You could also ask your vet about Denamarin (http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/animal/denamarin/index.asp), which is a combo of denosyl (same thing as SAMe) and silybin/silymarin (from milk thistle).

I would also suggest the Milk Thistle and SAMe supplements.

You both mentioned Milk Thistle. Does it need to be specifically canine or can I give him human herb supplements like those at the drug store? If so, how much? I have googled so many sites on this.

We called the vet today - she was quite unsure about this, so needless to say I am a bit nervous. She didn't say not to give it to him but for us to be very careful/cautious.

Any suggestions? I bought some capsules, 200mg each - if that is too much I am willing to pull the capsule apart and dole it out. Oh- he weighs about 44 lbs.

Everything I've read said it works well - no real dangers with Milk Thistle, but I am quite concerned about giving it to him.

Help if you can - and thanks.
Diane

rainbow
February 14th, 2008, 07:54 PM
You can use the human supplement. Rudy would get 1/2 of the recommended human dosage. Here's a website for info ...

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/milk_thistle.htm

dmc123
February 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks Rainbow,

I've seen that site - good info...but 1/2 of the human dosage is confusing - some sites I have seen say 1-3 times daily, totalling like 450mg per day

Since I have 200 mg caps, I think I will half them and see how it goes.

Diane

rainbow
February 14th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I also think you should consider the SAM-e supplement as well. The dosage is 10 mg per lb. daily.

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00430.htm

rainbow
February 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks Rainbow,

I've seen that site - good info...but 1/2 of the human dosage is confusing - some sites I have seen say 1-3 times daily, totalling like 450mg per day

Since I have 200 mg caps, I think I will half them and see how it goes.

Diane

I wouldn't worry too much as it is a safe supplement and will not harm him. If you are giving too much his poop will get loose then you can decrease the amount.

dmc123
February 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I also think you should consider the SAM-e supplement as well. The dosage is 10 mg per lb. daily.

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00430.htm

I wouldn't worry too much as it is a safe supplement and will not harm him. If you are giving too much his poop will get loose then you can decrease the amount.

Thanks Rainbow....on the SamE, also ok to give human supplement? I saw that in the drug store.

Thanks for you input :)

Diane

rainbow
February 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Yes, the human SAMe is okay to give. :)