Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

getting fixed

kit1469
January 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM
is it safe to get ur female cat fixed when shes in heat?? my cat has an appointment in a few days and she went into heat... i called the vet and they said it was okay but ive never heard of it being alright .. can anyone help me??

hazelrunpack
January 10th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I have no cat experience and it may be different for cats...but vets will spay a dog that's in heat if necessary. They prefer not to because the rate of complications is slightly higher if the animal is in heat--just because of all the extra vascularity, I think. Often as a result, spaying a dog in heat costs more because they have to be watched more closely for problems.

If cats are different, I'm sure someone with more feline experience than ol' hazel will be by shortly! :o

kit1469
January 10th, 2008, 06:25 PM
maybe i dunno .. its not urgent tho we are willing to wait untill she isnt in heat anymore... im so confused ..

Dracko
January 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I just went through this. My one kitten went in to heat. The vet said they do spay them but it might cost more as their is more chance of excess bleeding. As it turned out Teiya's heat cycle lasted about 4 days so by the time I took her in a day or so later it was all over.

kit1469
January 10th, 2008, 07:01 PM
hmm ... well i hope that happens for me..

14+kitties
January 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM
This is the post I sent Dracko when she was going through the same thing.

I was googling stuff this morning and found this site. It has lots of interesting info that you might find useful. It also explains why vets prefer not to spay while kitties are in heat. Hope it helps and good luck.

http://www.cochraneanimalclinic.ca/i...euter_Cats.pdf

mona_b
January 11th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Yes it can be done.

I had an appt to have my Phoenix spayed.Well sure enough she came into heat.Called the vets,they said it was ok.She was done about 3 days into her heat.It just cost me $25 extra.That was 6 1/2 years ago.She is 7 and healthy.:)

Love4himies
January 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Yes it can be done but more risky for your feline friend. If it were me I would postpone until she is out of heat.

danaekitty
January 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Every time I tried to take Z in she was in heat. So I had to make several appointments throughout the spring in the hopes that one of them would come up when she was between heats. My vet didn't want to do it when she was in heat. I would say that if there are any vets out there that would choose not to do it, you should choose not to do it even though your vet thinks it's okay.
A good tip on getting some sleep - try to make your house as pitch black as possible. No nightlights, no streetlights coming in the windows if possible, etc. Also (this is going to sound gross but it worked for us) a q-tip with a bit of vaseline will, um, satisfy her needs for a few hours.
Good luck,
-D

SnowDancer
January 11th, 2008, 11:49 AM
My former cat was one who was constantly in heat it would seem and screeches attracted all of the neighourhood toms to the windows - and she was a serious Jezebel. Finally we just took her in and had it done. She lived to be 19.

kit1469
January 11th, 2008, 01:54 PM
thank you all verry much im feeling alot better about taking her in... im going to try and find more information about the risks involved in getting her done while in heat but i think that i may have it done now (my mom is paying for it as my bday present.. wich helps alot because ive been having alot of trouble getting together the money for it... ) .. the website posted really helped thanx alot for that :D ill keep u guys updated on our final desision and how it goes ... :D

kit1469
January 13th, 2008, 09:06 PM
so her appointment is tomorrow ... im supper nervous!!! i feel so bad about leaving her there so long.. hopefully she wont be too mad or worked up .. has anyones kitties had problems with the coming home part of this .. ive never done this before .. (not when i was old enough to remeber anyway ... )... im worried about my other kitty to hes gonna need alot of tlc .. im in for a few long nights haha ..

badger
January 14th, 2008, 09:22 AM
You'll be surprised how to see how quickly they bounce back. Even if she seems absolutely normal, I'd keep her in a separate room for 24 hours after the surgery. Then rub both cats with a little baby powder (or a bit of vanilla extract under the chin) to help the re-introduction. She will have a 'vet smell' about her, which other cats sometimes perceive as a threat, although twenty-odd cats later, I have never witnessed it.

The vet will probably give you a special collar, in case she is a licker and needs to be restrained. Just keep an eye on her incision. A tiny bit of redness is normal but if it becomes angry-looking or oozes, back to the vet.

14+kitties
January 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
She will be good. Follow vets instructions, listen to what Badger says (cause she knows what she is talking about) and she will be marvelous. :grouphug: to you for making the very wise decision to spay your cat. I wish everyone felt the same about protecting their furbabies and making them comfortable.

badger
January 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM
On reflection, if everything is going well, a few hours should be enough.
PS disclaimer: I've only had experience with one female - Coco - who came raging back from her spay, never licked and point-blank refused to be excluded from anything.

Love4himies
January 14th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Some kittens don't even seem to be affected by the operation. I have watched newly spayed kittens jump up and down, making me wince in pain.

There may be a small amount of swelling around the incision, but like Badger said, any oozing or excessive swelling she should be brought into a vet immediately.

kit1469
January 14th, 2008, 11:05 AM
aww ur kitty is sooo cute!! lol definately looks like one who would have quite the personality :D thanx for helping me through this everyone!! :D :D ...

so we just dropped her off the actual vets werent in yet so we couldnt be with her when shes sadated ... but im sure shell be okay (she was just mad we wouldnt let her go look around go figure :rolleyes: ) honestly i think this is more of a big deal for me then her haha... we have a really big dog cage here and its full of old sheets, a few of her toys and litter box and both my kitties love it haha ( me thinking they would despise it ... shows how much i no haha) so im not worried about the healing part because they wont be together untill she is tottaly healed because they love to wrestle and cleo is a bully .. im just worried about gettinhg them back together AFTER all that neither of them really like other animals and they have fun "play fighting" wich isnt always so playfull .. and while i love my kitties they arent always the smartest .. they tend to forget that they know each other in general... so this has me a bit worried ... but i guess i should stop rambleing .. we find out around 11 how it went ill update then ... thanx again!

amatazes
January 14th, 2008, 11:26 AM
In my experience, it's always a no no. The shelters won't even do it. if the animals is in heat, you wait unitl it's over because it can cause complications and more pain to the animal.

kit1469
January 14th, 2008, 11:29 AM
thats what i though too... luckly shes been out of heat for the last 2 days so we r all clear on that one :D

kit1469
January 14th, 2008, 09:56 PM
so the vet called .. there were complications.. :( something called triple fat??? anyone no what that is??? other than that they said shes doining okay and said she will be fine .. :D :D we cant wait to bring our baby home !! egarly awaiting tomorrow!! but ya if anyone knows what that thing is please atteptemt to explain it .. im kinda worried cuz for such a small kitty that dosent sound good :( anyway mor tomorrow

rainbow
January 15th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Glad to hear your little girl is fine. :thumbs up I have never heard of the term "triple fat" regarding a spay procedure. :confused: Ask your vet for an explanation when you pick up your kitty tomorrow. :o

kit1469
January 15th, 2008, 10:48 AM
SHES HOME!!!!!!!

it feels so good to have our family complete again!!! shes doing really well :D :D the vet while didnt give me any kind of good explinaton basically said that shes fat ... they said that the wiskas food we are feeding her isnt any good does anyone no anything about it ?? cleos been on it since he was born.. satis since we got her ..