Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New puppy, Tips for paper/house/crate training??

Amandaxx0
January 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Hi there, I am new to this forum and I am looking for some advice for house/paper and crate training my new puppy. I just bought her a few days ago and the woman that I bought her from said that she was fully paper trained, and she had been kept in a crate at one time, but now that I have her home she is not using the paper at all and when I put her into her crate at night she screams and cries until I let her fall asleep with me. I have put newspaper down both in my bedroom and in my living room and everytime that she has an accident I quickly repremand her and put her onto the paper, but it seems like she does not even notice that the paper is there? :confused:

I know she is just a baby, but if she was paper trained already then why is it so difficult for me to get her to go on the paper?

Also, When I put her in her crate at night how can I get her to stay calm? the only way I can get her to calm down at the moment is to take her out, let her use the washroom on the paper and then have her fall asleep in bed with us. Then when I put her into her crate, she will sleep for a while and then she will wake us up and we will have to do it all over again.

I do not want to get into the habbit of having her sleep with us, but where she's only 6-7 weeks old, I don't want to traumatise her by leaving her in her crate screaming....

Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Thanks

breeze
January 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM
welcome Amanda, I hope you find the information on this site helpful..

what kind of puppy is it?? you said that she is 7 weeks old?? whats her name??

Amandaxx0
January 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
welcome Amanda, I hope you find the information on this site helpful..

what kind of puppy is it?? you said that she is 7 weeks old?? whats her name??

Thanks..

Yes, she is about 6-ish weeks old, and she is a shepperd/blue heeler cross, I have her in my display :).. She is a my little sweeteart

breeze
January 10th, 2008, 03:56 PM
6 weeks is very young to be taken from the mother and siblings IMO. Since you only have had her a couple of days, you and HER are getting use to each other and her surroundings..
do you take her outside or paper train her before you put her into her create?? is her create to big for her?? the create should be just big enough for her to turn around and stand in, anything bigger and she will feel insecure.. you can put a couple of chew toys in there with her..

Amandaxx0
January 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
6 weeks is very young to be taken from the mother and siblings IMO. Since you only have had her a couple of days, you and HER are getting use to each other and her surroundings..
do you take her outside or paper train her before you put her into her create?? is her create to big for her?? the create should be just big enough for her to turn around and stand in, anything bigger and she will feel insecure.. you can put a couple of chew toys in there with her..

Yea, I found out afterwards that 6 weeks was too young, the woman that I bought her from said that the mother wanted nothing to do with them. So, I brought her home, now she will be loved and taken care of.
I tried taking her outside but she doesnt know what to do with herself lol.
I let her go on the newspaper before I put her into her crate, and then there is also newspaper in her crate incase she needs to go. The crate is fairly big, big enough to put newspaper in half and blanket in half. I do not have a smaller one. I will try putting some chew toys in.

Thanks

Boky
January 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Amanda ..

Get Donnie to buy new crate for her until she grows out of it .. ;)

breeze
January 10th, 2008, 04:04 PM
amanda when she crys at night how long do you wait until you take her out?? and when you do take her out what do you do?? do you bring her into your room right away??

Amandaxx0
January 10th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Amanda ..

Get Donnie to buy new crate for her until she grows out of it .. ;)

Yea Bojan, good luck with that one ahaha... Donnie loves sophie ( I mean hello, shes a daddys girl) but, we have to use the one we have, she will grow out of it in like 2 months or so. If we buy a smaller one then we will have to buy yet another one when she grows out of that one.

Boky
January 10th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Yea Bojan, good luck with that one ahaha... Donnie loves sophie ( I mean hello, shes a daddys girl) but, we have to use the one we have, she will grow out of it in like 2 months or so. If we buy a smaller one then we will have to buy yet another one when she grows out of that one.

you guys have the one Amber and I gave you to use when she grows a bit .. what you need to do is buy some smaller one for now until she grows out of it

Amandaxx0
January 10th, 2008, 04:11 PM
amanda when she crys at night how long do you wait until you take her out?? and when you do take her out what do you do?? do you bring her into your room right away??

When Sophiie cries at night I try and talk to her first, telling her that she is ok, and telling her softly to "shh". I try that for a few minutes and then if that doesnt work then I open the door and pet her for a minute. If she still cries while I am petting her then I move out of the way and let her come out. Her crate is in the bedroom. I have newspaper on the floor a few feet away from her crate, so I let her walk around for a minute and then she will make her way over to the paper and go pee (usually). Then after she goes pee, I will tell her that she did a good job, giving her praise for peeing on the paper. and then bring her onto the bed with me. I try to comfort her on my own first, and if she continues to cry then I put her on the bed between my boyfriend and I. She is a daddys girl lol so she walks around for a few minutes and then curls up with daddy and falls alseep. Once shes been sleeping for a few minutes I move her into her crate. She wakes up as I move her but when I put her into her crate she simply curls up and goes to sleep. She stays asleep for a while and then wakes up and I attempt the whole thing again.

She slept a lot during the day today, I think at her old home her sleep patterns may have been thrown off. She seems so sleep mostly all day and then wakes up a million times at night lol

Amandaxx0
January 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
you guys have the one Amber and I gave you to use when she grows a bit .. what you need to do is buy some smaller one for now until she grows out of it

Easier said then done bojan we dont have the money to buy another one :(

breeze
January 10th, 2008, 04:19 PM
When Sophiie cries at night I try and talk to her first, telling her that she is ok, and telling her softly to "shh". I try that for a few minutes and then if that doesnt work then I open the door and pet her for a minute. If she still cries while I am petting her then I move out of the way and let her come out. Her crate is in the bedroom. I have newspaper on the floor a few feet away from her crate, so I let her walk around for a minute and then she will make her way over to the paper and go pee (usually). Then after she goes pee, I will tell her that she did a good job, giving her praise for peeing on the paper. and then bring her onto the bed with me. I try to comfort her on my own first, and if she continues to cry then I put her on the bed between my boyfriend and I. She is a daddys girl lol so she walks around for a few minutes and then curls up with daddy and falls alseep. Once shes been sleeping for a few minutes I move her into her crate. She wakes up as I move her but when I put her into her crate she simply curls up and goes to sleep. She stays asleep for a while and then wakes up and I attempt the whole thing again.

She slept a lot during the day today, I think at her old home her sleep patterns may have been thrown off. She seems so sleep mostly all day and then wakes up a million times at night lol

how much excerise does she get during the day?? how long does she spend in the creat during the day??

at night when she goes pee just befor bed, I belive she shouls at least last an hour if not a little longer.. a pup can last 1 hour for every month plus 1 hour so if you pup is 2 month they usally can hold it for about 21/2-3 hours.. as long as there is nothing medical wrong..
when she crys at night try to ignore her for 5 mintues I know it's hard but can be done.. then after 5 mintues talk to her reasur her, wait 5 mintues more, if she still contues then let her out of her create, let herr pee, then right back in the create.. do not let her on the bed if you want to create train her..

Amandaxx0
January 10th, 2008, 04:23 PM
how much excerise does she get during the day?? how long does she spend in the creat during the day??

at night when she goes pee just befor bed, I belive she shouls at least last an hour if not a little longer.. a pup can last 1 hour for every month plus 1 hour so if you pup is 2 month they usally can hold it for about 21/2-3 hours.. as long as there is nothing medical wrong..
when she crys at night try to ignore her for 5 mintues I know it's hard but can be done.. then after 5 mintues talk to her reasur her, wait 5 mintues more, if she still contues then let her out of her create, let herr pee, then right back in the create.. do not let her on the bed if you want to create train her..

Yesterday she got a ton of excersize with the puppy that my boyfriends sister has. She does not spend any time in her crate during the day. Today I have started putting her into her crate if she falls asleep in another area such as the living room, to get her used to the idea of sleeping in her crate.

jessi76
January 10th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I tried taking her outside but she doesnt know what to do with herself lol.
I let her go on the newspaper before I put her into her crate, and then there is also newspaper in her crate incase she needs to go. The crate is fairly big, big enough to put newspaper in half and blanket in half. I do not have a smaller one. I will try putting some chew toys in.

goodness.. no need to buy another crate. simply block HALF of the crate you have.

first, learn how to crate train. this is the idea... the crate should only be large enough for her to lay down, stand, and turn around in. no larger. certainly NOT large enough to potty in one end and sleep in another. so block it. get creative. I blocked mine w/ the top for a large rubbermaid storage container (easily washed, not easily chewed up)

alot of crates even come with a piece to make the crate smaller, then it comes out to make it larger.

sounds like you have multiple issues. My suggestion is to learn about crating, the do's and don'ts. read up on crate training. this would be a REALLY long post if i were to get into all of this. I think crate training and paper training shouldn't be done together. they sort of contradict each other. either it's ok to pee in the house or it's not. I prefer to crate train only, no paper, no pads, just use the crate as a training tool. it worked perfectly for me. but you need to learn HOW to properly crate train to be successful.

breeze
January 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Yesterday she got a ton of excersize with the puppy that my boyfriends sister has. She does not spend any time in her crate during the day. Today I have started putting her into her crate if she falls asleep in another area such as the living room, to get her used to the idea of sleeping in her crate.

excerise is great for a pup.. a tired pup is the best :laughing: putting her in the create during the day is a good idea also, to get her use to it and for her to know that it is a safe place.. Are you always home during the day?? this way she will get use to it at night, and she will get use to it when you go out. she will be safe in there..

Amandaxx0
January 10th, 2008, 04:30 PM
goodness.. no need to buy another crate. simply block HALF of the crate you have.

first, learn how to crate train. this is the idea... the crate should only be large enough for her to lay down, stand, and turn around in. no larger. certainly NOT large enough to potty in one end and sleep in another. so block it. get creative. I blocked mine w/ the top for a large rubbermaid storage container (easily washed, not easily chewed up)

alot of crates even come with a piece to make the crate smaller, then it comes out to make it larger.

sounds like you have multiple issues. My suggestion is to learn about crating, the do's and don'ts. read up on crate training. this would be a REALLY long post if i were to get into all of this. I think crate training and paper training shouldn't be done together. they sort of contradict each other. either it's ok to pee in the house or it's not. I prefer to crate train only, no paper, no pads, just use the crate as a training tool. it worked perfectly for me. but you need to learn HOW to properly crate train to be successful.

What do you mean by crate train only?

Also, her old owners gave her awake a few weeks to early, She is only 6 weeks old so would that not make it hard for her to understand going outside. I have a friend who will help me to crate train her an what not, But I would like to get some other opinions that way I can figure out what works best for sophie.

I understand that it would take a long post to explain some of these things but I would greatly appreciate the help.

thanks

breeze
January 10th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I will see if I can sum it up

my dog we create trained that means no pee or poop in the house..
get up in the morning take her out of the create and right outside.. breakfast then 1/2-1 hour of play and back in the create for a couple of hours. then when I open the create door right back outside to go pee and poo, 1/2 hour or 1hour or maybe a bit longer depending if you are giving lunch then back outside and so on and so on..

usally the pup will pee and poop right after they eat or play or nap.. so outside many times during the day.. I have never paper trained a pup so there is no help from me on that one..

Amandaxx0
January 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I will see if I can sum it up

my dog we create trained that means no pee or poop in the house..
get up in the morning take her out of the create and right outside.. breakfast then 1/2-1 hour of play and back in the create for a couple of hours. then when I open the create door right back outside to go pee and poo, 1/2 hour or 1hour or maybe a bit longer depending if you are giving lunch then back outside and so on and so on..

usally the pup will pee and poop right after they eat or play or nap.. so outside many times during the day.. I have never paper trained a pup so there is no help from me on that one..

Yea no thats fine, I will see if I can start trying that. Its just very difficult because shes so young. but I have been able to get her to pee on the paper when she gets up from her naps and wat not..

thanks

breeze
January 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Yea no thats fine, I will see if I can start trying that. Its just very difficult because shes so young. but I have been able to get her to pee on the paper when she gets up from her naps and wat not..

thanks

6 weeks or 8 weeks it can be done.. it is never to early to train.. IMO other wise she will learn quckly on how to wrap you around her paw, and she will get away with anything.. you have to be the leader not the other way around..

Amandaxx0
January 10th, 2008, 04:48 PM
6 weeks or 8 weeks it can be done.. it is never to early to train.. IMO other wise she will learn quckly on how to wrap you around her paw, and she will get away with anything.. you have to be the leader not the other way around..

Ok, thanks. I will start trying that...

BusterBoo
January 10th, 2008, 05:57 PM
She is just a baby, so it will take time and lots of patience. When I started crate training Buster (he was around 5 months!) I made his crate a fun place for him. He had his kong, his stuffed animal, and some other toys. I always left the door open when we were home, so during the day I would encourage him to go in and snuggle on his blankets or grab a toy. The only time I closed the crate door was when I was leaving the house, starting with very short period of time. At the time I had another dog that was fully trained so Buster did learn some good habits from Harley.

Buster did well on the pee-pads until he realized they were fun to shred :D and started using the carpets as his personal toilet. That's when the crate was bought.

As for sleeping, my dogs always sleep on the bed with us, but I have always had small dogs (shih tzus). :sleepy:

Be patient with her, you WILL have many sleepless nights for the next couple of weeks until she learns your routine and you learn hers.

Good luck and hope to see lots of pictures!!!

14+kitties
January 10th, 2008, 07:31 PM
She is awfully young to be away from her mom and littermates. :sad: But, it's done now so.........
to get her to sleep in her crate at night you need to tucker her out during the day. You can also try a hot water bottle covered with a blanket or towel so it isn't too hot for her tender skin, and a clock that ticks. An old fashioned alarm clock does the trick. She is used to listening to momma's and siblings heartbeat and being kept warm by them and snuggling. Now she is on her own. Also do what the others have said - block off half of the crate. Enough room for her to stand and lay down is all she needs. Try putting a couple of toys in with her as well.
When I was training my pups (years ago now but I still remember) I used to think I was the one trained. I took them outside every hour, yes, hour. They get the idea very quickly that outside is for bathroom, not indoor. After a week they had no problems. But with your puppy being so young and off to not the greatest start with being allowed to pee in the house, paper trained, it may take longer. You will have to stay outside with her until she pees. Continue to do this and it won't be long before she has it all figured out. Good Luck! Oh, and when you can, we like BIG pics. ;)

ac_elite
January 11th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Greetings,

First sorry to say but she is not a baby but a pup and should be treated as so:

leadership-discipline-love.

Crate training in half block crate is a must and routine feeds and drink while she is so young allows you to keep control.

As previously mentioned I would not recommend any pee or poop in the house ever. Under any circumstances (unless accident of course)

Unless she is playing with you eating or drinking she should be in the crate the rest of the time. (preferably with the door open).

Monitor her behavior for the hour/month ratio as mentioned earlier in the thread.

After all feed and drink, outside right away. I have trained all my puppies like that, on leash and as they do their business give a command like 'quick' or whatever (once) and praise and back in the crate, when you take her out again before playing say one hour or so later start the same thing again. If you take her to the same spot every time she will learn to do her business at the same place and practically on command.

At night same thing (crate should be close enough to your bed so that she hears your breath when you sleep) do not take her out of the crate unless and only if its to go out. If she cries and you know she does not need to pee and take her in your arms in your bed or any other forms of cajoling, it reinforces the unwanted behavior, use a command like 'Nahw' (once) if she still cries give a slight tap on the top of the crate just to startle a bit not to scare and give the command (once). You can also ever so gently grab the skin in the back of her head and give her a slight pinch again just to startle, this is how mom would do it, by grabbing the pup by the back with her teeth. Or snapping a grrrr! to discourage the behavior. It is not encourage to use No! because the dog can easily can desensitize as we use that word very often during any given day.

Make sure the crate is cozy, if you are able to go back to where you purchase her, get a towel and rub the rest of the litter or the mother and the smell will help calm her down, an old fashion alarm clock with a tic toc can also sometimes help. (she really is a bit to young to be away from mom and litter).

As mentioned you will have several sleepless night but if you follow the crating process religiously you will be fine after a week, 10 days at the most. My Cane Corso was the fastest at this of all my dogs, 4 days after we got him home at 8 1/2 weeks he was house broken. Needless to say there was not much sleep to be had in those four days.

Once that is taken care of, start massaging her gums and playing with her paws, very gently squeezing the webing between each finger, this establishes dominance and gets her use to been touched in unusual places, I would also start some grooming (brush or stiff glove appropriate to coat).

When in the house with you tie a six foot light leach to your belt at your waist. When she sit, as you see her do so give the command (once) and praise, you rarely ever teach a dog those basic command you just teach them when to do them.

Finally during those sleepless night, allow me to suggest some reading material:

first
The art of raising a puppy -The Monks of New Skete
Puppy Preschool - John Ross & Barbara Mc Kinney
then
How to be your dogs best friend -The Monks of New Skete
a bit later
Dog Logic: Companion Obedience -Joel M McMains
next year
Advanced obedience -Joel M McMains

All these books have a rapport base approach to dog training. There are very many good books out there but I found these to be irreplaceable and even with much older trained obedient dogs I refer to them regularly.

Because we love them so much we are guilty of to much anthropomorphism and tend to forget that dogs are not babies. They are not the same breed as us. Their world is black and white and your lovely pup just begs to understand if you want to be the leader or if she needs to be the leader it does not make a difference to her so you decide.

Hope this help,

I have raise many dogs large breed Rotties, mastiffs, and others that have never picked a fight with another dog and have never growled at a human adult or child. And all were as sweet and soft as they were big but they always new who was the leader of their pack.

Cheers