Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Self-Reliant Feline

phoozles
January 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I've always said that if I had to leave Jake alone for a considerable amount of time, he'd do just fine.

He can open doors and cupboards, and if he's hungry, when he was on dry food, he could open the cupboard and help himself to his own food. I had to move it to a cupboard high enough that he couldn't reach to stop the madness.

He never used to like treats (go figure for a cat that bloomed to 17 lbs!), but recently we got a free pouch - it was sealed, and since he never liked them, it wasn't a concern. We came home to find the sealed pouch completely ripped apart! :rolleyes:

Recently my BF bought the cats Pounce treats for Christmas - in a completely sealed container. Jake managed to open the drawer they were in, rip off the sealed plastic AND open the lid to get the goodies inside!

I figure it's only a matter of time before he figures out how to open the pull tab on his canned Wellness! :rolleyes: :laughing:

Anyone else have a cat that could take care of him/herself if he/she needed to?

Love4himies
January 10th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I have a cat that will tear open kibble bags and likes it left open on its side for all day munchies. Unfortuneatly we had to stop that because she needs to eat more canned for health reasons.

My most recent addition can open kitchen cupboards as if she is looking for something, but we don't keep any food in them so I don't know what she is looking for. Maybe in her last home they kept food in cupboards :shrug: Haven't seen her try to open a drawer yet.

SARAH
January 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Mine are 1, to complacent to bother, and 2, too young to be able to yet. If one of them should be a cupboard-deliquent, I would bet on Spoutnik when he gets old enough though :laughing:

ancientgirl
January 10th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I'm sure if I let mine they could get along pretty well. I have to have my sewing machine in my bathroom, just to block the cupboard doors, because Oksana has figured out how to open them, even with no handle.