Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sadie's Dental Visit for those interested

Luba
June 8th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Some of you know, Sadie my 6mon old Collie has a very undershot jaw (meaning her lower jaw is much to small) Because of this her canine teeth are pushing into her pallette causing indentation and discomfort.

Today we went to the dentist for her consultation because her teeth are pretty much fully grown and the dentist can now decide on what to do.

Sadie is going to have to wear a bite plane to angle the canine teeth outwards.

This is what they look like.
http://www.tulsavet.com/sitebuilder/images/incline-249x198.jpg

I'll let you know when the procedure is to be done, she has to be anaestetised. Great thing is because she is so young and the teeth are soft and plyable the dentist feels she may not have to wear this for longer then three weeks :D

She'll then have a comfortable bite and when they remove it she's going to be spayed at the same time. Lessen the number of anaestetics involved.

It was a good visit, I was expecting much more complicated processes.

OH and remember that bump she has on her upper palate? Well my vet told me to not worry about it, it's just the shape of her palate.
The dentist told me that this is actually a scent gland and is very common to have them large like this. Said she'd make a great scent working dog :D

Happy me today!!

Lucky Rescue
June 8th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Gotta say it again - that Sadie is one lucky girl! Not many people would get braces for their dogs. :D

Karin
June 8th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Gotta say it again - that Sadie is one lucky girl! Not many people would get braces for their dogs. :D

Ditto! Will she bark with a garrff now?

Princesss04
June 8th, 2004, 02:07 PM
She is very lucky to have a mommie like you. Does that bother her when it is in her mouth.

Luba
June 8th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Well the dentist said after in place she will probably get used to it because of her disposition being so 'sweet' *yeah right lol*

She may have a odd bark while it's in there, hahaha but who knows she barks with her bones, balls and toys in her mouth. Barks when she eats and drinks which already sounds funny.

She'll have one of those clatter sounds like when false teeth don't fit right (snicker snicker) evil mommie thoughts here to make fun of her!

I'm glad it's just this, I was really expecting it to be much much worse.

Neat about the scent gland huh, I honestly never knew that!

We are real lucky to have her as much as she to have us, I truly believe this.

Chany
June 8th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Just being snoopy Luba but how much are braces for dogs? :o Totally agree Sadie is a very lucky girl!

Lucky Rescue
June 8th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Neat about the scent gland huh, I honestly never knew that!

I *believe* this is called Jacobson's Organ and I've seen my cats use it many times. It happens when they are smelling something particularly intriguing, usually the scent of another cat and apparently this organ helps detect subtle chemical ingredients that tells them if the other cat is sexually mature, intact, etc...

You can see horses do it too, with curled upper lip.:)

Luba
June 8th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Well this thing is actually a dental plane not braces (thank goodnes that would have been a fortune)

The procecure, including the plane and check up as well as removal is almost $1500 bux w/o complications factored in or having to redo it if Sadie manages to break it.

I have no problem sharing, it can help someone else one day :D

Jacobsons Organ is huge on Miss Sadie lol LR!
It's always big though,even when she's not sniffing.

Chany
June 8th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Luba that is a small fortune! :) I hope miss Sadie appreciates you!! :D