Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help me stop the cat war!

danaekitty
January 10th, 2008, 07:26 AM
My two cats (both female, both spayed) are suddenly at war with each other! After living in peace for a year and a half, Zelda, 3 yrs old, is terrified of Olive, 1.5 yrs. Whenever they are in close quarters, they fight (like REALLY fight) until Olive chases Zelda under the bed, where she growls and hisses until Olive is out of sight.
I don't think Olive is purposely instigating anything, she's just curious about what's up with Z. But whenever Olive is near, Z becomes very alarmed, begins to growl and hiss, then scoots under the bed. When Z starts to hiss and growl at Olive, Olive usually pounces on Z which causes a fight. They've had 3 big (but short) scraps that I know of in the last 36 hours, and there doesn't seem to be a scratch on either of them.
They are both very sweet cats. There is no change in Olive's temperament, she is still very sweet and affectionate. Z is the same as well, but ONLY if she's CERTAIN that Olive is not around. I've tried seperating them for a few hours at a time, in which Z seems pretty relaxed, but as soon as I open the door seperating the, it's back under the bed for Z, leaving Olive confused.
I'm very upset. My dad and I had to put down our family cat last year becuase he became feral, and I don't think I could handle giving up another well-loved pet.
Any suggestions would be very helpful.
-D

amatazes
January 10th, 2008, 08:12 AM
i believe a lot of people have these issues. I've read a couple other posts about it this week.

in my experience with my cats I find that it becomes a power struggle. They want to be in charge and have full control over everything.
You just have to let it be. I separated them for a while but it got too hard so I just let it go and they are better now.
I have no good advice but I'm sure the other ladies will.:)

14+kitties
January 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Has there been any changes? Was one kitty at the vet? Or are they allowed outside? They come back from vets "smelling different" or if they are allowed outside it is possible the one rolled in something. Animals like to do that to...disguise their scent or take on the scent of whatever they are hunting. My babies do it all the time, cats and dogs.
What I have learned in here, and it seems to work like a charm, is to put baby powder on your hands, rub them together, and then rub your hands on the cats, all over. This way both animals smell the same again. (Thanks Pets.ca and Winston for that info. :) )
If they are allowed outside maybe the solution is to not let them out? That way there won't be any issues. Also, if there is a possibility that you have "visitors" (mice) the kitty may have found it's leavings (crap) and rolled in that.

danaekitty
January 10th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Now THAT'S something I never thought of! We definitely have mice, both girls love to bring them to us:yuck:. Neither has been to the vet, and they are allowed outside, but they haven't gone recently due to the cold weather. I'll definitely try the baby powder thing, that seems like a pretty genius idea.

chico2
January 14th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Danae,my 3 neutered boy-kitties come outside with us,never on their own,but they do get in to a fight sometimes because of the smells of other cats in our backyard.
Even if they see one outside from the window inside.
I would probably take the kitty who is the agressor to the vet,or both,to make sure there is nothing that bothers them,mice and mouse-poop can cause problems..

I use Feli-Way plugin diffusers in the 2 rooms where my cats spend the most time,mostly because of unfortunate spraying.
I have a hard time believing it,but after spraying since he was 5 yrs old,now almost 12yrs old,it seems to have stopped,amazing:thumbs up
I have a friend who has 5 cats,at one time he was ready to give up on one that all of a sudden became agressive,it lasted about a week and then he was back to normal:confused:we never knew why..
I hope you find a solution for your girls,they are such pretty little kitties:fingerscr

rjesak
January 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Danae, I saw your other post that things had calmed down, but I thought I'd let you know that I have a very similar situation. I have six and they've gotten along for years. A few months ago, three of them got in a huge fight (in which they hurt me, because I decided to break them up without adequate protection, and each other). I ended up separating them - each locked in a different room - and after about 20 or 30 minutes I let them out again, each very slowly. Since then, there have been three or four more spats between them and it's always the same three cats. I'm still not sure what sets them off, but when I catch them at it, I separate them for about a half an hour, and once they've cooled off, they go back to being friends. I still can't explain what starts it, but I'm a little less terrified of it now. Still don't like it though...