Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need advice on cockapoo's

shazzy 4
January 10th, 2008, 04:22 AM
hello there could anybody tell me!i am thinking of breeding my cocker spanial bitch,with a poodle and having some cockapoo's.but i have been told that the poodle should be the female dog! and the male a cocker,does anyone know is that true as i have seen picture's of cockerpoo's with mother who is a cocker spanial.is there anyone who knows the breed and is this true? thanks!

gomez
January 10th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Hi Shazzy,

Cockapoo is not a breed, it's not registered, what you will get is just a mutt... check this webpage: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/ you will not be able to register your puppies...

Dogs are bred when they are champions and have qualities that will enhance the breed, their OWN breed - maybe you could contact the breeder you got your cocker from and ask for their advice... they would be able to tell you also of all the problems and pitfalls you could encounter when you embark on a breeding program - possible c-section for your dog, still born puppies, birth defects form combining two breeds, the issues could be endless...

The consensus you will get here is that you should spay your cocker asap if she is not a champion or from champion lines -

Where in the UK are you? We used to live in London

aslan
January 10th, 2008, 05:42 AM
I agree in some cases with gomez, check with your dogs breeder or other cockapoo breeders for advice.

The part I disagree with is a large majority of the high quality purebreds we have now all started off as "mutts". Thats how a "breed" is created. Some of our most popular show dogs now were once mutts. Including the Golden retriever, doberman, pitbull. the list is endless. Cockapoo's are becoming more and more popular, someday it may be considered a purebred too.

mona_b
January 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I totaly agree with gomez.

If you breeder of your cocker was reputable,then your cocker should have been on a neuter contract,or if you were planning to show,then it's a non-breeding contract.

Cockapoos,shihpoos,and all your other poo's and doodles are "mutts" and will always be mutts.The reason they are popular is because of the BYB's.And don't think that the reputable breeders of these breeds are happy about this either.None of these breeds will become registered.At least not with the CKC.

Yes our purebreds started off as mutts,but they were creating breeds for a reason.And don't forget,many of these breeds originated in early 1800"s....:)

amatazes
January 10th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Isn't breeding incredibly hard? I don't have the attention span for it. I'd rather pick up a boat load of newbies form the shelter.
it's so weird. so many people here look down on you if you get your dog from a breeder rather than a shelter. it's refreshing to see everyone living in harmony.:thumbs up

Love4himies
January 10th, 2008, 09:50 AM
How about trying to foster a pregnant momma from the local shelter so see if you are up to the enormous responsibilty and financial commitment to breeding. While you are there take a peek at all the unwanted dogs and ask yourself if you want to contribute to it.

I wouldn't risk my beloved pet's life just to breed.

amatazes
January 10th, 2008, 09:55 AM
can it kill them? how?

ps. i know nothing

coppperbelle
January 10th, 2008, 06:36 PM
A friend of mine who is a reputable breeder has two dogs that just had litters of pups. One female had to have a c section which was very expensive. The other bitch went into labor the night before last and my friend spent the next 18 hours helping her deliver the puppies. Unfortunately 3 were born dead. Six survived. Yesterday morning one of the bitches became very agitated and they were afraid she would harm the pups so she had to be medicated and seen by a vet. Today things are a bit more calm but who knows what tomorrow will bring. If one of the bitches starts to lose interest in feeding the pups then the job will have to be taken on by the humans.
Ask yourself a few questions. Are you prepared to pay for a c-section if necessary? Because she will most probably go into labor in the middle of the night is there an emergency vet available? Are you ready to feed the pups every two hours if mom refuses to care for them? Are you prepared to lose your bitch if something went wrong during the delivery and she could not be saved?
If you have no idea what you are doing, you shouldn't be breeding dogs.

Love4himies
January 11th, 2008, 08:03 AM
can it kill them? how?

ps. i know nothing

Of course, if something goes wrong, if an infection occurs in the uterus, or mammory glands, hemorrhaging, etc. It wasn't too long ago that humans died from complications of childbirth and still do in third world countries.

aslan
January 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Monab, dont get me wrong I am not condoning the breeding of mutts. I was stating it is possible to eventually have them ckc recognized. If you read their literature, it can be done> Lol, mind you it wont be anytime soon. What Cockapoo breeders aren't doing is creating a consistant line. They keep breeding cockers and poo's instead of breeding with other cockapoo's. That is from the ckc itself. But yes, go out and rescue a dog instead of creating more unwanted ones.

mona_b
January 11th, 2008, 10:48 AM
And this is the Canadian Kennel Club?

Cause I have been a member for a little over 20 years.I have been to a number of meetings.And 'mutts" have been talked about.

By law all purebreds must be registered.Even if one parent isn't,the pups can't be.You breed 2 different breeds and you get mutts.They can't be registered.And in any of the meetings I have been to,they have no plans on registering them.They have standards for breeds for a reason as these breeds are being shown.

aslan
January 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM
What I read in the ckc literature about it was, if several cockers and poodles were bred together, then the offspring over several generations were bred together. (Of course making sure there is no inbreeding). This making a solid breed, then they are able to become a ckc recognized breed. Thats not what cockapoo breeders are doing tho, so technically you are right aslong as they keep breeding the way they are then no they wont be a recognized breed.

zztopp
January 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
can it kill them? how?

ps. i know nothing

I'm going to be quite blunt, so please don't take this in a bad way.

I've had to clean up so many messes from animal abusers and backyard breeders. The last thing I want to see, are more worthless animals being bred. When I say worthless, I am speaking from a quality point of view ... not how cute Fifif is, or how nice of a momma she would be. That should be the least of your worries.

I am a firm believer that if a dog is not of champion quality (conformation, solid show records and sound temperment) than they should be spayed or neutered as soon as possible.

If you do want to persue this 'date,' for your dog, please do some research. Search the web about breeding and common complications. Talk to your vet about all the costs involved -- trust me, there ARE plenty. Remember, your cocker spaniel is going to need to be vet checked, to ensure that she is breedin sound. Does she have all the proper clearances also?? (I know with Goldens its the hips, eyes, etc -- I'd assume cockers have a similar set of clearances needed to be breeding sound?)

Can you handle raising the pups, possibly hand raising one if the bitch rejects it? Do you have a market for these pups? I'm assuming you won't keep all (if any?) of the pups, so where will you sell them?

As others have said, if you really want to raise some pups then go to your local humane society and talk to them about fostering -- they can always use a hand, with the many litters of pups/cats that go through their doors. (We fostered several litters (almost 10 I think?) of week old kittens with their moms. It was a real eye opening experience.)

I really, really am an advocate of leaving breeding to the professionals. After rescueing and fostering all of the 'leftover' and 'worthless' cats/dogs/horses that have been through my life, I really wonder why people STILL feel the need to breed their companion animal, 'just for fun' :(

Whew. Okay, that was a slight vent thrown in with some (hopefully!) helpful advice ...

Good luck!

mafiaprincess
January 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
There were cocker x poodle people who were making an attempt to create a breed. It wasn't working. Decades later literally they still had no constant type. And it would take a lot more than that before any reputable kennel club would accept them. It's not that easy to make it happen. Look at silken windhounds. Took decades of work. They closed the studbooks in 2000 I think. AKC still hasn't given them FSS recognition.

Cockers have loads of issues. Poodles come with their own inherited problems. Unless your cocker has been tested for eye and knee issues at a bare minimum, and has the PERFECT cocker personality, and is hopefully a champion. Spay her. There are way too many crappily bred cockers out there. And the last thing the word needs are more with health and temperament issues.