Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Resonable Pet Insurance for select breed

crosswire
January 10th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I have an Alaskan Malamute 8 months old and looking for pet insurance.
I know dogs in his breed have certain common hip displasia but his breeder said his parents never had it. Now ive checked quotes n most insurances dont cover for hip displasia except in the more expensive plans. Anyone recommend a good insurance for pets that deal with these large dogs.Ive checked vetinsurance,petinsurancecanada,petplan canada.
Only petinsurancecanada has converag for hip displacia but at 76/month or so.
I dont want to pay for insurance for something that wont cover where its really needed.Any advice
thanks
PS: check my videos of my pal playing.
http://www.youtube.com/crosswire

growler~GateKeeper
January 10th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I've never used any of the insurance plans so no advice there, but you should check with them to see if you need OFA cleared x-rays before they will cover you, even with the more expensive plans.

Welcome to pets.ca Cute :lovestruck: pup, we would love to see pics too :D

pbpatti
January 10th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I have an Alaskan Malamute 8 months old and looking for pet insurance.
I know dogs in his breed have certain common hip displasia but his breeder said his parents never had it. Now ive checked quotes n most insurances dont cover for hip displasia except in the more expensive plans. Anyone recommend a good insurance for pets that deal with these large dogs.Ive checked vetinsurance,petinsurancecanada,petplan canada.
Only petinsurancecanada has converag for hip displacia but at 76/month or so.
I dont want to pay for insurance for something that wont cover where its really needed.Any advice
thanks
PS: check my videos of my pal playing.
http://www.youtube.com/crosswire i highly recommend vetinsurance, i have this coverage for sasha choc lab, it does not make you choose between what may might happen to your pet or any of the relating possible diseases. check it out on line. i figured it out that if my puppy lived to be 13yr old we will have paid approx $4400, we have used the insurance and claimed about $1800 so far and have recived back 90% of the fees..check them out it oc course does not cover your regular checkups or shots etc. but it do believe in their policy. any time we have sent a claim in we were compensated within 1 week. patti

crosswire
January 10th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks for ure response..
now i was checking vetinsurance and have question, i know its plan i was looking at doesnt cover hip dysplacia but knowing that its genetic,I checked with the breeder and his parents were checked for all disease and were cleared. So should i get insurance with hip displacia or just a regular plan that will cover the normal things.

satchelp
January 10th, 2008, 04:13 PM
If you are in Canada, PetPlan definitely covers hip dysplasia. They are one of the few that do. Also, check out a new insurance plan from Purina .. it's called PurinaCare and it's a rebranding of PetPlan's best all-inclusive plan, but for less money. http://www.purinacare.ca/plandetails.aspx