Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help me please!!!!!!

kriista72
January 9th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Can someone please help me I have a Beagle and a Jack Russell The Beagle went near the Jack Russell's food dish and crate and the Jack Russell got really mad, they started to fight over it I'm scared I can't leave them alone :cry:
Is there anything I can do to stop this Behavior befor it gets out of control
This is the frist time its happened

luckypenny
January 9th, 2008, 11:25 PM
You can always try to teach them to sit, stay, wait, and okay while you feed them. You'll have to teach them individually at first to make sure that 1. they only eat when you give them the ok, and 2. they both understand that they are not allowed near each other's bowls when it's dinnertime.

In the meantime, feed them completely separate from each other, preferably in separate rooms if you can't control them now. Remove their bowls as soon as they're done!

Are your pups spayed or neutered by any chance?

kriista72
January 9th, 2008, 11:49 PM
They do get fed at differece ends of the room I have always left there food out so they can eat when ever they wanted is that not good? But thats a good idea to take the dishes away when done thank you :thumbs up They are both males ones fixed ones not The Beagles 8 years old the Jack Russell's 7
Now what about the Jack Russell crate should I put that away too?

Ford Girl
January 10th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Hi! You need to be their leader instead of one of them being the pack leader. Research N.I.L.F and you will find all kinds of ways to deal with dominent dogs and how to be the pack leader. You need to control the feeding time, and be consistant.

Also, research Resource Guarding, that is what your jack is doing. I deal with this issue with my golden, it can be managed by you, it can be worked on, it takes consistancy and hard work on your part, but they learn quick and will catch on if you enforece it.

I would neuture the other dog too, pronto! Hormones cause fighting among your pack, especially same sex. I wouldn't put the crate away, especially if your jack uses it and likes it, does your other dog have one he can call his own?

How do you react when they do this? Do you treat them equal? Also, how much exercise are they getting? I know we ask that question about exercise for all kinds of issues, but it really does matter for their mental well being. Both breeds are high energy and need an outlet to burn the energy every day, otherwise they will take it out on each other.

zztopp
January 10th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I have a wanna-be-dominant Jack Russel male and a Golden Retriever female -- Golden is the "alpha" because she's a) female, b) older and c) bigger ;)

Both are expected to sit and wait for their food (while I set the dishes down in front of each other) and then only eat when I give the "Ok" command. Golden gets fed in her crate (her 'comfort area') and Jack Russel gets fed a few feet away. We leave the dishes down even after they are done, because both vaccum up their food quick as can be ... just because they are walking stomachs ... lol!

Initially, we had to crate the Golden (as in, actually close the crate door) while they ate, since the Golden would finish first and come over to 'help' the Jack eat his kibble ... that caused a few scuffles that we intervened with and dealt with accordingly.

Good luck!

kriista72
January 10th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Thank you both I will def check out the sites you gave me :thumbs up

rainbow
January 11th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I agree with what everyone has said. Also, why is only one of them neutered?