Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

They don't make it easy to pick your cable package

clm
January 9th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Just got a notice from Rogers that our cable is going to be going up again March 1st. I'm already paying over $100.00 per month for cable, and there's still nothing on TV, so I thought I'd go to the rogers site and pick and choose the channels I want and dump the rest, but nooooooooo, they don't make it easy for you to do that. Gonna be a weekend chore when I have more time. Oh, and you can add to your cable services on-line, but not delete. :frustrated: So, I'll have to go to a rogers store or call them and get phone frustration. :wall:
You gotta hate cable companies.

Cindy

14+kitties
January 9th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Sattelite isn't any better if it makes you feel better. 700 channels and nothing on. And they have "packages" too. :mad:

luckypenny
January 9th, 2008, 11:39 PM
We have both sattelite and Illico cable. We really don't get what we pay for (especially since I don't watch much tv :o ).

A friend was telling me about Acanac. They're a wireless phone/internet provider (extremely cheap rates in comparison to what's available here). Apparently they offer tv sattelite services as well but I can't seem to find any info on their website. I'll ask our friend tomorrow where he got the info.

happycats
January 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I just got that notice too!! I have everything with them, all going up in March:mad:
I pay $250.00 now:eek: I can't afford any more, going to have to cut something back.....but like you said, it's so difficult with the silly package system they have:rolleyes:

SARAH
January 10th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Those packages are nuts! I will look at them and find one or two channels I would like in each package, but not the 5-8 others! So what? I have to pay for all the crap I don't want to watch?

In addition, I find that many of the channels that were great when they started, aren't so great anymore, like they've run out of subjects! Discovery, Nat Geo, Animal Planet, Travel ... it's just the same over an dover, and more and more unrelated programs. History is a joke: they send regular crime series!? WTH ?? History should be about ... well, world history!

Satellite, cable, same thing. Reruns, and reruns of the reruns. The strike isn't helping either. Movies are old, or new but bad.

And we're supposed to PAY for ... :confused:

chico2
January 10th, 2008, 08:59 AM
clm,we have Cogeco,incl,Phone(free longdistance in North America)High Speed Internet,the Digi and HD TV coverage and pay about $190/month.
I had no problems cancelling the worthless Movie Channels.
I believe the phone alone is a great saving,I call my son in Alberta and most of our friends live in longdistance areas,our Bell phone-bill was often huge.
I think Rogers and Cogeco are comparable,if one goes up,so does the other:yell:

SARAH
January 10th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Cheapest phone rates: 0,24$ a minute ANYWHERE in the WORLD !!! go to www.skype.com All you need is to sign in, get a head-set w/microphone (or buy a Skype-phone), load up your skype-credit through your CC, and you can call anyone you like! If they also have Skype, even better .. it's free!

With my family all being in Europe, this little thing is really handy!

Doesn't help for the TV though :sorry:

amatazes
January 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Skype rules!!!

I speak to my sister in Greece for nothing. the states are no better with cable satellite craziness. I pay $50 a month, that's it. I have internet and an antenna wire they hooked up for me. I don't watch enough tv to have cable.

chico2
January 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I don't have any relatives left in Sweden,only a half-brother and we only send X-Mas cards,so the North America free longdistance is perfect.
We also like one bill for everything.
Also,we are home-bodies and watch TV,hubby watches HIS,mostly French on TV5 from France,I watch whatever I want on MY TV,so the money spent is well worth it for us.
If there is nothing on TV,I will watch National Geographic or Animal-Planet,nothing is available without Cable.
Most Canadian shows stink IMO.(ready for reprimands:laughing:)
I actually just got an e-mail from a child-hood friend in Sweden,she wanted me to get Skype,but forget about that!!

clm
January 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I don't have any relatives left in Sweden,only a half-brother and we only send X-Mas cards,so the North America free longdistance is perfect.
We also like one bill for everything.
Also,we are home-bodies and watch TV,hubby watches HIS,mostly French on TV5 from France,I watch whatever I want on MY TV,so the money spent is well worth it for us.
If there is nothing on TV,I will watch National Geographic or Animal-Planet,nothing is available without Cable.
Most Canadian shows stink IMO.(ready for reprimands:laughing:)
I actually just got an e-mail from a child-hood friend in Sweden,she wanted me to get Skype,but forget about that!!

So true about the Canadian shows Chico2. :laughing:
I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to make a long-distance call the past 10 years. :laughing: So long distance savings isn't going to help me any.
My neighbour has Rogers internet and they're there fixing something once a month, so I'll stay away from that until they finish playing around with the underground cables in our area, I have Bell Sympatico high speed, it's not terribly expensive.
Now with the whole phone thing. I've often wondered if it wouldn't be smarter to just cancel my regular phone service and just use my cell but I don't know if I can do that and still keep the Sympatico high speed. :laughing: It gets so confusing doesn't it. :laughing:

chico2
January 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM
clm,I have had no trouble with Cogeco,not for years.
We have friends in Welland,Georgetown,Hannover etc...all longdistance +my son in Alberta,so it's great with the Cogeco phoneservice.
We cancelled our Bell service and I do not own a cell-phone,we have a phone in the car,but only use it when we travel longdistance,like South Carolina,then we buy a phonecard.
I do not need a cell-phone,nobody needs to reach me that badly,so it cannot wait until I get home.
I abhor anyone talking on the phone while driving:yell:

phoozles
January 10th, 2008, 03:56 PM
It's funny this has come up - I've been going back and forth with Bell since the beginning of October. I originally had Cogeco take care of everything (phone, cable, internet), but I moved to a place that doesn't have cable or (grrr) high speed, so I decided to bundle everything with Bell.

What a mistake! :wall::frustrated:

They've pretty much messed up everything they could possibly mess up - from not putting everything on one bill like they promised, to hooking up a second phone line but not giving me my dial up access number or ID, to charging me 4 times in one bill for my phone lines, including separate charges for services that were supposed to be included! My first Bell phone bill was $327.00 - not including my long distance! :mad: They told me that the first bill is usually high and that I should just pay it, and they would give me discounts on my next bill. :confused:

I did, like a fool, because wouldn't you know it - my next bill didn't have any discounts, and I was STILL getting charged for services that were supposed to be included! :yell: Had to call them again - got the runaround - and now I've been sending notes (angry ones, of course) to their executive office.

I finally got a call from their vice president (of something) today, saying that he would work with me until it's all fixed. What a joke! :frustrated:

Writing4Fun
January 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Skype rules!!! Agreed! :thumbs up I just introduced my Dad to it at Christmas. Trying to get the rest of the family on board. I don't call land-lines with Skype, though. I only use the free Skype-to-Skype service. Free is about all I can afford! :laughing:

I have a Bell bundle (phone, internet, satellite). It's so old, though, (I think I was one of the first people in Canada to sign on to a bundle) that they no longer offer anything remotely like these plans anymore. So, they keep bringing up the price by $5/month, hoping I'll switch to newer plans, but it's still so much cheaper that it's not worth it for me to switch to the newer bundles ... yet. ;)

chico2
January 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM
That reminds me of many years ago(25),my son had a Commedor(sp?) computer,with a modem,he played games with people from all over the world.
I got a phone-Bill for $3.000,as thick as a book.:yell:
I was angry at Bell for not warning me after the first $1.000 and was in absolute shock,recieving that bill.:yell:
I could not tell my husband,he would have freaked,maybe have a heartattack.
But I worked out a paymentplan with Bell of $200/month and managed to pay it myself,hubby did not find out.
Low and behold,Bell send me a"paid in full"reciept and who reads it first,hubby:yell:
I don't need to tell you what happened after that,no more modem,no more phoneline to my sons room,we still bring it up ever now and then,I'll never forget how I felt getting that book of a phonebill.

krdahmer
January 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Bell= The Evil Empire

I was soooo happy to call and cancel all but my cell with them.... and as soon as I'm out of my indentured servitude (contract) I'm taking that one elsewhere too!!

I keep hearing about them getting some competition in the cell department but nothing in their league yet. :frustrated:

SARAH
January 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Agreed! :thumbs up I just introduced my Dad to it at Christmas. Trying to get the rest of the family on board. I don't call land-lines with Skype, though. I only use the free Skype-to-Skype service. Free is about all I can afford! :laughing:
;)

I wish, but my parents stubbornly refuse the computer, just as they refuse the cell phone. "If we've lived for 70+ years without, we can manage for the rest of our time" sure, but they started saying that at 60! They do have a cell phone, but usually leave it in a drawer, and have no clue how to send an sms if they have the thing with them and receive one! Great help :frustrated:

14+kitties
January 10th, 2008, 07:59 PM
clm,I have had no trouble with Cogeco,not for years.
We have friends in Welland,Georgetown,Hannover etc...all longdistance +my son in Alberta,so it's great with the Cogeco phoneservice.

Is that like, Hanover, On? Cause if it is.....small world. I lived there from the time I was 10 till I moved to Owen Sound in (aging myself now) :)1977. I lived in OS for around 25 years till I met my hubby and moved here. My mom still lives in Hanover.

happycats
January 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM
That reminds me of many years ago(25),my son had a Commedor(sp?) computer,with a modem,he played games with people from all over the world.
I got a phone-Bill for $3.000,as thick as a book.:yell:
I was angry at Bell for not warning me after the first $1.000 and was in absolute shock,recieving that bill.:yell:
I could not tell my husband,he would have freaked,maybe have a heartattack.
But I worked out a paymentplan with Bell of $200/month and managed to pay it myself,hubby did not find out.
Low and behold,Bell send me a"paid in full"reciept and who reads it first,hubby:yell:
I don't need to tell you what happened after that,no more modem,no more phoneline to my sons room,we still bring it up ever now and then,I'll never forget how I felt getting that book of a phonebill.

OMG $3000.00:eek: I would have died!! I think that would have bankrupted me 25 years ago!!
You would think bell would have cut you a break!! At least cut it in half OMG how awful they are!

I dumped bell about a year ago, I was having internet problems for 7 months, and called weekly t get it fixed, found out later on all the technical support calls go to India:eek: and they always gave the standard answers that never fixed the problem. So I finally called and cancelled, they tried to make me pay a cancellaion fee!! No freakin way, I told them , i never signed or agreed to anything. I had to fight for a while, but they finally waved all fees.

I like Rogers better the Bell, but not much:o

Writing4Fun
January 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I wish, but my parents stubbornly refuse the computer, just as they refuse the cell phone. "If we've lived for 70+ years without, we can manage for the rest of our time" sure, but they started saying that at 60! They do have a cell phone, but usually leave it in a drawer, and have no clue how to send an sms if they have the thing with them and receive one! Great help :frustrated:
We got my dad a computer for his 70th b-day. He loves it. My mom hates it. Doesn't want to do anything more than dust it from time to time. :laughing: Now that we've introduced Skype, and she can see the grandkids more often, she's warming up to it slightly. She'll never use it herself, but at least she's stopped threatening to toss it out the window. :D

Chico, I can only imagine how long your son was paying for that bill! No weekly allowance for 20 years? :laughing: My sil received a $3,000 phone bill from Bell once. Someone had climbed the pole in the backyard and tapped into her line to call those 1-900 numbers. :evil: She had a bit of a hard time convincing them that it wasn't her who made all the calls, but in the end, they conceded. :frustrated: The only reason I'm staying with them is because they're cheaper than my other options right now, without doing anything illegal of course. ;)

chico2
January 11th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Happycats,W4F.I am not sure how long ago this was,but my son must have been about 13yrs old and he's now 37.
And believe me,I nearly had a heartattack..
$3.000 was a fortune for us in those days,Bell did offer me a paymentplan,nothing else,after all it was not their fault.
It was the very first PC's that were out and ever longdistance call on the modem was charge,he was in contact with people in Hawaiii,Hong Kong and all over the world:yell:
We still have that book-sized phonebill somewhere.

Ever since we cancelled our Bell-Service we get calls from them,letters wanting us back,but that is not going to happen,we are satisfied with the Cogeco service.

14+Kittens,our friends live outside Hanover,Ontario on a 48acre beautiful property,have one dog and 6 cats.

aslan
January 11th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Krdahmer, Just out of curiosity how old is your bell cell acct. Bell neglects to tell you when your acct is up,so your contract may actually be over already. We found that out a couple years ago when they totally screwed everyones acct up. Usually when you get the phone you sign a two or three year contract, after that you can do as you please, unless you got an upgrade which extends the acct.

For those of you with long distance, msn is great for that, hook up a mike and speakersand you can talk to them for free no matter where they are, and if you want a real good time add a web cam.

SnowDancer
January 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I received the Rogers notice today as well - not pleased - particularly with absolutely nothing on. Re Canadian programs, I agree - pretty much hate them! I like the British thrillers and of course "House".

chico2
January 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Canadian programs: Little Mosque on the Prarie:loser:,Air-Farce:loser:.Corner Gas:loser:+many others,Red Green the absolute dumbest!
A couple of years ago I liked to watch a show called "North of 49"I think that was the number,but it's no more.

Writing4Fun
January 11th, 2008, 01:11 PM
For those of you with long distance, msn is great for that, hook up a mike and speakersand you can talk to them for free no matter where they are, and if you want a real good time add a web cam.
Yeah, but hubby has a Mac. For some reason, video calling with MSN doesn't work on the Mac. So we're trying to convince everyone to convert to Skype instead. Same thing, really.

phoozles
January 11th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Canadian programs: Little Mosque on the Prarie:loser:,Air-Farce:loser:.Corner Gas:loser:+many others,Red Green the absolute dumbest!
A couple of years ago I liked to watch a show called "North of 49"I think that was the number,but it's no more.

I'm with you on all of those - why does anyone think they are funny? Corner Gas is playing in the states now - I don't get it! :confused:

Rogers kind of screwed me over too when I lived in Toronto - Cogeco was the only company that didn't give me any problems - too bad I'm in the boonies now and am stuck with Bell and their ridiculousness! :wall:

chico2
January 12th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Phoozles,you are lucky,you are in the boonies,no need for TV,you got a live show outside:laughing:

I read about Corner Gas beeing shown in the US,lets hope those Americans who don't know much about Canada,don't think that's how stupid we are here:laughing:

krdahmer
January 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Krdahmer, Just out of curiosity how old is your bell cell acct. Bell neglects to tell you when your acct is up,so your contract may actually be over already. We found that out a couple years ago when they totally screwed everyones acct up. Usually when you get the phone you sign a two or three year contract, after that you can do as you please, unless you got an upgrade which extends the acct.

Ya I got lured with a new upgraded phone... so I think we still have a year and a half to go. When it gets down a few more months we might buy it out, but that is only worth it if someone comes up with a better north america wide program for my hubby (truck driver in US and CAN) :shrug:.

Tommysmom
January 12th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Ya I got lured with a new upgraded phone... so I think we still have a year and a half to go. When it gets down a few more months we might buy it out, but that is only worth it if someone comes up with a better north america wide program for my hubby (truck driver in US and CAN) :shrug:.

Krdahmer, my bro-in-law is a trucker too - Rogers does free calls between Rogers phones, that's what my sis does. They have a Rogers home phone and Rogers cell phones, so all calls between them cost nothing.

:party::party::party:I JUST got out of my bell contract!!:D:D. It finally ended Jan 5th - I've been counting down the days, LOL. Pulled my number out and took it with me and noooooooooo moreeeeeeee Belllllllllllll!!