Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Maks gets close and Vlad protects little sisq

ancientgirl
January 9th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I took these two the other day. Maks wanted very badly to lay down in his little round tube, but Czarina was sitting right next to it. LOL, the little guy managed to slide in there so quietly she never noticed he was there. Then again, she was too busy staring Tiny Miss, Kiska down. But have no fear, big brother Vlad came and sat right next to his little sister. I thought it was so cute that he did that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/043-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/041-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/042-1.jpg

Winston
January 9th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Ancientgirl! Beautiful pics! By the looks of the first picture you are WELL on your way to having the FAB 5! For Czarina to sit that close to Maks and her eyes closed on top of it! WOW you have made great strides this past couple of weeks! It will pay off!! I just know it! Look how happy she is really! She has that comfy cat slouch happening! I would be sooo happy if I were you!

Hey its not the perfect set up but it will be and I think I agree with most of the others there will be some hissing here and there! after all you have 5 kitties!! But to know they all have the comfort of home, full bellys!, good health and a place to sleep and play! what more could you want!

I love how comfy Maks looks too! look at the paw hanging over the edge! Czarina had to know the paw was there too! and that is great!

Cindy

Dracko
January 9th, 2008, 07:04 PM
You can just see they are itching to go up to her. It's so cute seeing Maks looking down at her in pic #2.

Man, Kiska looks so tiny compared to Vlad.

ancientgirl
January 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Ancientgirl! Beautiful pics! By the looks of the first picture you are WELL on your way to having the FAB 5! For Czarina to sit that close to Maks and her eyes closed on top of it! WOW you have made great strides this past couple of weeks! It will pay off!! I just know it! Look how happy she is really! She has that comfy cat slouch happening! I would be sooo happy if I were you!

Hey its not the perfect set up but it will be and I think I agree with most of the others there will be some hissing here and there! after all you have 5 kitties!! But to know they all have the comfort of home, full bellys!, good health and a place to sleep and play! what more could you want!

I love how comfy Maks looks too! look at the paw hanging over the edge! Czarina had to know the paw was there too! and that is great!

Cindy

LOL, he really wanted to get to his little tunnel thing. But yeah, he she had to know he was there. But he wasn't bothering her, so she left him alone. He's very curious of her, as they all are. But I did think it took guts for him to get that close, he's my skittish kitty!

I can't expect every single one of them to get along all the time. For the most part, the Fantastic Four get along really well. There are the moments when Vlad gets too dominant with Oksana and I hear the screeching and hissing, but she manages to get away from him and I tell him to leave her alone.

I can't expect for Czarina to be best buddies with all of them so soon. But it seems like she's getting used to the fact they are the kitties that live here and if she wants to hang around she's got to at least tolerate them.

She's been sleeping on the orange chair at night. I've been letting her roam freely. If I continue to make progress this weekend, I'm going to try leaving her free during the day. Like, I have to take Kiska and Maks to get their final boosters, so I may leave her lose while I'm at the vet. Then perhaps later when I go to the grocery store. I'll see how that goes because I want to get to the point where I feel she can handle being around the others and not attacking anybody.

I'm happy that I am able to keep them all safe from the cruelties of the world and I'm happy I have the means to keep them well fed and healthy. I am especially happy that I was able to take a kitty who had little hope of being loved and wanted, and give her a comfortable home where she will be safe and taken care of and never want for anything.

All of my cats have been with me since they were kittens. I never thought I'd adopt an older cat. But there was something in her face that made me want to bring her into my home and let her into my heart. I'm glad she's slowly coming around, it gives me hope that one day she will really be part of the gang.

ancientgirl
January 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM
You can just see they are itching to go up to her. It's so cute seeing Maks looking down at her in pic #2.

Man, Kiska looks so tiny compared to Vlad.

They all really want to approach her, but her hissing makes them keep their distance.

Vlad is a big kitty, but Kiska is just positively tiny. I'm going to ask the vet if she thinks I should be giving her any kind of supplements, because she's very thin and weighs so little. She eats and eats well, and she's quite active. But I just want to make sure she doesn't have any special dietary needs I may not know about. I get the feeling she's going to be small, like Oksana, and even Czarina isn't a big cat, but Kiska is just this delicate little flower.

luckypenny
January 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Really nice photos ancientgirl. I can see why they like the orange chairs so much. It'd be my favorite too :D .

Keep up the wonderful work. Your patience and caring will certainly pay off.

ancientgirl
January 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Those chairs are some Spanish style antiques. When we moved out office a few years ago, while my boss still had a partner, these chairs were in the new place but nobody wanted them. I snatched them up because I thought they were just so wonderful and unique. And they really are incredibly comfortable!

There's always one or two kitties on them.

I'm glad that I have made some good progress and can't wait to make more.

clm
January 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Your kitties are making great strides. :thumbs up So cute he lied down beside the little one to protect her.

14+kitties
January 9th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Nice pics ancient. Maks is a brave little fellow but Czarina had to know he was there. :) It's coming along nicely. :)

growler~GateKeeper
January 10th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Ancientgirl - Love the #2 pic This is the look on Maks' face :p @ Czarina :laughing: The #3 pic he looks like he's very proud of himself sitting in there w/out her hissing @ him :D

Love4himies
January 10th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Great pics! They are all going to be best friends very shortly. You have done a great job with these cats, give yourself a pat on the back.:thumbs up

ancientgirl
January 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM
LOL, Growler, those are classic Maks moments. That last picture, I can just read his mind, "Ha, and she thinks she's so tough, here I am sitting here anyway, nyah"

Vlad is very protective of his friends. I don't know if I've ever told this story, but after I'd brought Oksana home, it took a good week or two before Vlad stopped trying to attack her constantly. But still there were moments when Oksana would walk past Vlad and he'd go for her. Well, one day my dad came over and he sat down in one of the orange chairs. Oksana was asleep in their little bed, right in front of the chair. Well, Vlad looked at my dad, came from across the room, laid down next to Oksana and put his paw around her, but he never stopped looking at my dad.

LOL, my dad looked at me and said, "What's that all about?"

I said "He must think you're going to hurt her."

I knew he was special, but that's when I really knew he was extraordinarily special.:cloud9:

Love4himies
January 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM
It does sound like Vlad has taken on the role of protector of his "pride". What a hero.

ancientgirl
January 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
It does sound like Vlad has taken on the role of protector of his "pride". What a hero.

He really is the Big Kitty of the house. When I started letting Czarina roam loose, he'd sit at the top of the stairs, just so he could watch everything. And when I started letting her stay out at night, he'd sleep at the foot of the stairs, just to make sure we were okay with a strange kitty in the house.

When he sees the little ones close to Czarina, he's totally on guard, just in case.

He loves playing with Maks, but Maks was messing with Oksana the other day, and Vlad saw and put a stop to it. :lovestruck:

Since he was my first, he no doubt sees himself as protector and head of all of them.

phoozles
January 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Very cute pics :lovestruck:

As the others have said, it's only a matter of time now - but the progress has come in leaps and bounds! :thumbs up

Very cute story about Vlad and his little arm over Oksana. :)

chico2
January 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM
OMG,ancient you've done great:thumbs up
Look at them,absolutely adorable,too bad Czarina does not realize what a lucky kitty she is..
Does she ever try to sneak outside,seeing she was outside for a long time?
I can't tell you how proud I am of you.you've done really,really well with her and I am sure one day soon,you'll be amply rewarded for believing in her:cat:

ancientgirl
January 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM
OMG,ancient you've done great:thumbs up
Look at them,absolutely adorable,too bad Czarina does not realize what a lucky kitty she is..
Does she ever try to sneak outside,seeing she was outside for a long time?
I can't tell you how proud I am of you.you've done really,really well with her and I am sure one day soon,you'll be amply rewarded for believing in her:cat:

Well, I had some really good progress today. I got home and opened up the screen, to allow her into the rest of the apartment. Kiska came very close to her, and they almost touched noses. Czarina hissed a little then Kiska turned and left. Then a little while ago, Kiska jumped up on the orange chair Czarina is sitting on. She stood there for a few seconds, then Czarina hissed, but not as loudly as usual and Kiska jumped down.

I think that in itself is really good.

I'm hoping that next week I can feel confident enough to allow her to roam freely all day with the rest of them.:D

Oh, and as for trying to get outside. She hasn't made a run for it or anything. When I open the door she's got ample opportunity to get up and run out, but so far she's had no interest. And once I allow her to roam with the rest of them, I'll change the location of the litterbox to under the stairs and close the bathroom door so that I can once again use the screen as a buffer for keeping them in. So I think she might be thinking being indoors is much better than being outside.

TeriM
January 10th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Love those pictures :cloud9:.

Sounds like things are going great :thumbs up. Be forewarned though that Czarina will likely never be as cuddly as the others. My tortie is very true to her stereotype :rolleyes: and will be loving and cuddly one second and then all of a sudden hiss at me. She was occasionally nasty in her earlier years but I'm not sure how much of that is tortie and how much is her previous life?? She was likely subject to some abuse as even now she will cower if I have something in my hands :sad:. She still hisses at Fred (other cat) and we have had him for about 4 years now :shrug:. My two are definately not "best buddies" but do have a very good co-exsistance together :thumbs up.

krdahmer
January 10th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Those are so cute... she looks so at home!! Way to go sneaky Maks!!!:lovestruck:

rainbow
January 10th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I agree....it won't be long before Czarina warms up to the Fantastic Four. :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
January 10th, 2008, 11:57 PM
That story w/Vlad, Oksana & your dad is too cute

Good boy Vlad The Protector :D

chico2
January 11th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Yes,I agree with Teri,I too had a Tortie(Cookie:rip:)with tortietude,she never cuddled with the others,but still fit in very well with my kittyfamily.
Chico now,will hiss to show how dangerous he can be,if Rocky or Vinnie dare to jump up close to him and surprise him,I believe that's normal.
So all in all,you've done wonders:thumbs up
Also for sure,she was once an indoor cat,were she feral,there would be a whole set of other problems.
Hoever don't be too overconfident,I would still keep her isolated when you go to work,just to be safe.

ancientgirl
January 11th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I don't even think I'd be able to touch her if she were totally feral.

Hopefully this weekend I'll make a bit more progress and can just allow her to roam free all day and stop separating her from the others.

ancientgirl
January 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Love those pictures :cloud9:.

Sounds like things are going great :thumbs up. Be forewarned though that Czarina will likely never be as cuddly as the others. My tortie is very true to her stereotype :rolleyes: and will be loving and cuddly one second and then all of a sudden hiss at me. She was occasionally nasty in her earlier years but I'm not sure how much of that is tortie and how much is her previous life?? She was likely subject to some abuse as even now she will cower if I have something in my hands :sad:. She still hisses at Fred (other cat) and we have had him for about 4 years now :shrug:. My two are definately not "best buddies" but do have a very good co-exsistance together :thumbs up.

She's odd, I'll go to where she's sitting and she snuggles into my, then I'll be petting her and she'll suddenly hiss and back away. At that point I tell her "No hissing" and just turn and walk away. I'll leave her alone for a while then go and pet her again and leave before she hisses.

I'm trying to tell myself not to expect her to be a lap kitty or a snuggle bunny, but I'd just like her to get to a point where she doesn't hiss or swat ALL the time.

Love4himies
January 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Oh, and as for trying to get outside. She hasn't made a run for it or anything. When I open the door she's got ample opportunity to get up and run out, but so far she's had no interest. And once I allow her to roam with the rest of them, I'll change the location of the litterbox to under the stairs and close the bathroom door so that I can once again use the screen as a buffer for keeping them in. So I think she might be thinking being indoors is much better than being outside.

I have found that with Sweet Pea who was found as a pregnant stray. She likes to look outside, but doesn't want to go.

I don't think you are going to have troubles with her getting along with your foursome. She just needed some time to adjust to her new pampered lifestyle and to realize life is not going to be a daily fight for survival.

ancientgirl
January 11th, 2008, 09:03 AM
So far she really seems to enjoy being inside. No meowing to get out. This morning, I was leaving out the kitchen way, since I already had her in her little section, and Vlad came close. I picked him up and allowed him to have a look outside. Well as soon as he heard the traffic and some people coming down the hallway, he couldn't get out of my arms fast enough to go back in.

Czarina has made the orange chair nearest the window her favorite spot, so she can look outside and she can also check out the little ones as they play around her.

I'm going to get the area under the stairs ready this weekend and just switch the litter box over there and then place her food bowl in the kitchen. I know she needs time, but I've got to do my part to push things along and give her a chance to over come some of these fears she has and apprehension.

14+kitties
January 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Hey ancient!!!!!!! Where are you? Haven't heard from you since yesterday morning on how the gang is doing.