Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Make Shift Muzzle?

white wrabbit
January 9th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Any one know how to make a muzzle? I am not going to buy one for a one time use for Maggie to get her in to the vets with out eating snow first thing in the morning when i take her for her morning bathroom session on the way to the car to go get spayed..

she eats snow every time i take her out side. unless you can think of another way for me to stop her from eating the snow that morning.

i would love ideas!!!!

please and thank you!!

*note* i have not even considered training her not to do it since snow is just extra water and i don't really want to stop her from having it..

bendyfoot
January 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM
The problem is, a muzzle should always allow the animal to pant, lick and drink. Therefore, slurping up some snow should be easy enough to do, even if you bought a muzzle.
How big is she? Can you carry her to the car and let her out to pee someplace where the snow has been cleared/shoveled? It wouldn't be a big deal if she ingested a little bit before the surgery...you just don't want her to get big gluts of it.

white wrabbit
January 9th, 2008, 04:48 PM
she is a big girl doberman cross with hound (possible bluetick coon hound when looking at pic's of them).. and she is a glutton about it.. especially in the morning.. witch is why i was thinking a muzzle or some thing to restrict her.

bendyfoot
January 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
can you shovel down (like right down to hard pack) an area near the door, keep her on leash and get her to pee there so there's no loose snow to munch on? Then run her to the car (with the door waiting open, of course:D)?

breeze
January 9th, 2008, 05:03 PM
do you have a halti??
you can hold the hatli right near her muzzel so she will not be able to eat snow.. she can still have her potti break and then put her right into the car..

white wrabbit
January 9th, 2008, 05:24 PM
i don't have a halti. she is fine to walk on a collar and leash, so she never got one..
she is spot trained in the yard she won't go any where else in the yard and it is in the very back corner out behind the house..
now with adding a leash that will add a problem as well (i think not sure) she heads strait for the gate and wants her walk she normally dosent stop to pee she is too busy sniffing and trying to track some thing.. and we are still working on the "go pee command" most times it works..

and she hates the car,
(she did fine the last trip but she gets sick in it)

i think a few licks will be fine i just need to rig some thing up so she can't do her normal gobble down the chunks of snow.. (she even bolts around the yard and bounces in a few spots to break them up to eat..)

*yes she has full access to water all the time in the house except at night*

sizzledog
January 9th, 2008, 05:41 PM
The only makeshift muzzles I know how to make are for emergencies - like for cases of injury. They involve wrapping a bit of soft fabric (like a rolled tshirt or a necktie) around the muzzle then tied behind the ears - but these are for emergencies only. I'd never use this type of makeshift muzzle unless I didn't have a real muzzle and/or the dog was a bite risk due to pain from injury.

I know you said you didn't want to buy a muzzle, but greyhound muzzles are rather cheap and easy to slip on and off. They also sell "stool guards" to place in the end of the muzzles to prevent inappropriate eating through the muzzle. The good thing about greyhound muzzles is that they are loose around the muzzle and the dog can pant and bark while wearing them. The downside is that they can only be worn my dogs with a facial structure similar to a grey - long, slender muzzles.

The largest size available fits most Dobermans well. If your dobe mix has a dobe head, it should fit pretty well.

rainbow
January 9th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Did you ask your vet if the snow eating would be a problem before sugery?

t.pettet
January 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Cheap and probably handy - pantyhose leg cut off at the hip. I always keep one in the car now. I witnessed a beagle hit by a car, he was lying on the side of the road and growled when I tried to lift him into my car. Stripped off the pantyhose and used it to muzzle him, drove to vets without incident. Poor guy was in shock and am certain he would have bitten me without it.

white wrabbit
January 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Did you ask your vet if the snow eating would be a problem before sugery?

yes a few licks is ok. i just have to prevent her from eating the chunks of snow. but if is a fresh snow fall the night before then she will lick up as much as she can.. this is why i am asking now how to do it and find out instead of the night before.. (I may not have to do it, but if i have to i know how)

i am going to go google the emergency muzzle..

thanks for the info sizzle dog but i refuse to buy any thing she will only have on once and for maybe 2-3 mins.. to me not worth it at all.. not to mention would cost more no pet stores in this town so looking at a half hour drive to the city..

Element~5
January 10th, 2008, 10:20 PM
In clinic we use gauze to muzzle dogs if we don't have a proper muzzle on hand (like the pantyhose idea). We just loop it around the dog's muzzle and then behind the ears and it works fine.