Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Advice....

Shaykeija
January 8th, 2008, 10:32 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/sassypunk78/Confused.jpg

Someone I know wants to get a Shih Tzu puppy. Great...I got them set up to get one from Tyra's breeder. Now the problem. They are vegetarian's and are not allowed any meat in the house what so ever. (Religious thingy) Question....can a dog survive on a vegetable protein diet? I say no but I need some other views. If no..I will have to break someones heart.

jiorji
January 8th, 2008, 10:55 PM
what hard core religion is this that doesn't allow meat in the house??just curious :)

personally i think i dog on vegetables would have tons of health issues.Some creatures need those meat proteins more than humans do.
If you're not ready to provide your pet with his/her much needed eating habits 100%, then you shouldn't get one.:shrug:

MAybe they should look towards getting a pet that is more likely to enjoy veggies than a dog. Or they should make an agreement that it's not THEM eating the meat, it's the dog.

Kibble..that's not really truly "meat"..it's a dried up mixture of all sorts. And they don't have to touch it.

Shaykeija
January 8th, 2008, 11:07 PM
It is a Hindu type religion (Sandi)??? They cannot have any animal meat in the house what so ever. Very strict on this. even with kibble...sigh too bad they would have made great puppy parents.

Mamakicia
January 9th, 2008, 12:12 AM
From a scientific standpoint, it is possible for dogs to survive on a non-meat diet, because they are omnivores. They eat meat but don't require it. :dog: However, I can't imagine that it would be easy trying to prepare vegetarian meals that the dog would enjoy. Are these people vegans or vegetarians? Are eggs or fish a possibility?

Cats, on the other hand, are carnivores and require meat. So this acquaintance of yours better not get a cat! :cat:

The whole thing about humans' religious beliefs influencing their pets' diets is an interesting one. Believe it or not, just yesterday I noticed on the side of a can of Evanger's the following: "Endorsed by the Chicago Rabbinical Council. KOSHER FOR PASSOVER." I must confess that I never knew that there were Jews who feed only kosher food to their pets.

badger
January 9th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I think they're probably Jain, a small Hindu sect. In the most extreme version, adepts wear veils in front of their faces so they won't inhale microscopic animals and do not eat anything grown below ground level (goodbye potatoes) for the same reason. They have some of the most beautiful temples in India.
Lesson over :)
I've seen vegetarian dog food at the vet, for dogs who are allergic to meat for some reason but I think it's probably as poor as most of the other foods vets carry - lots of grains and add-ins. If you google 'vegetarian food dog', there's lots of info out there and several brands. I just don't know, part of me thinks it's a bit unfair and I would probably add other things, such as eggs and cheese. I'm not sure if Jains do dairy.

This is just one site I found.

http://www.k9care.com/Tip-Vegetarian%20Dogs.htm

rainbow
January 9th, 2008, 01:49 AM
:2cents: ....

Dogs can SURVIVE on vegetarian but they will not THRIVE on vegetarian.

rainbow
January 9th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Wysong makes a kibble for those dogs that are forced to eat vegetarian because of their owners beliefs and even Wysong doesn't seem to think it's a good idea.....

http://www.wysong.net/PDFs/vegansheet.pdf

Love4himies
January 9th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Why don't they get a rabbit :lightbulb: instead of taking a chance of a dog suffer due to health reasons because of THEIR religion believes???? Not fair to the dog:sad:.

luckypenny
January 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
:2cents: ....

Dogs can SURVIVE on vegetarian but they will not THRIVE on vegetarian.

I certainly agree with this!

I'd be surprised if a reputable breeder would let one of their dogs go to a home that fed vegetarian only, unless the dog has some serious medical issues :confused: :shrug: .

Would your friend consider a Rescue whose confirmed medical situation would require a vegetarian diet?

mona_b
January 9th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I'd be surprised if a reputable breeder would let one of their dogs go to a home that fed vegetarian only,

No reputable breeder would.And I doubt Tyra's would either.I hope not.

Anne Romer(cp24)has a show all about pets.She had a Vet/animal nutritionist on her show recently,and this topic came up.He even said feeding vegetarian is not a good idea.To many health issues arise when doing this.

Your breeder will need to have a heart to heart talk with them and let them know that a healthy puppy should not be made a vegetarian.Remember it's the breeder who needs to tell this person as I'm sure she/he has met this person.

SARAH
January 9th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I think they're probably Jain, a small Hindu sect. In the most extreme version, adepts wear veils in front of their faces so they won't inhale microscopic animals and do not eat anything grown below ground level (goodbye potatoes) for the same reason. They have some of the most beautiful temples in India.
Lesson over :)
I'm not sure if Jains do dairy.

:sad: I love lessons like that ... got a web site so I can read more?

Why don't they get a rabbit :lightbulb: instead of taking a chance of a dog suffer due to health reasons because of THEIR religion believes???? Not fair to the dog:sad:.

Seems like a silly proposition, but it's a great idea in fact! Or a guineapig, or a parrot-bird of some size?

I agree, a dog can survive like that, but it's not really in his nature not to eat any meat at all, and he risks having health issues because of it.

Frenchy
January 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I think they're probably Jain, a small Hindu sect. In the most extreme version, adepts wear veils in front of their faces so they won't inhale microscopic animals

:laugh: some people are totally :crazy: :frustrated:

They should leave the dog out of this religion stuff ! :shrug:

ancientgirl
January 9th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Why in the world would you make your pet suffer, because of your religious beliefs?

They really should consider another kind of pet as has been suggested. Maybe a pot bellied pig:D

Shaykeija
January 9th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I called my breeder and told her not to sell my friends a puppy. I would be so upset if one of Tyra's grand kids got sick..... They do not use eggs but do eat dairy....Thanks for the input..

babykitten
March 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
well i know an well balance diet is what an dog needs there lots of food out there it must all matter on the type of breed and size and its own needs :)

there other ways of geting protein than meat - just ask the vet or sheck out some veggie diets and whats in them :thumbs up

rainbow
March 3rd, 2008, 10:39 PM
well i know an well balance diet is what an dog needs there lots of food out there it must all matter on the type of breed and size and its own needs :)

there other ways of geting protein than meat - just ask the vet or sheck out some veggie diets and whats in them :thumbs up

Please read this info...

Wysong makes a kibble for those dogs that are forced to eat vegetarian because of their owners beliefs and even Wysong doesn't seem to think it's a good idea.....

http://www.wysong.net/PDFs/vegansheet.pdf

MIA
March 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Tell them to find a dalmation as most of the ones I know are allergic to meat!!!!

geoffh4
March 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I have friends with the same issue. THey have had pets that live normal length, healthy lives. I think they would prefer the meat, sure, but as others have said, they won't suffer without it

Their owners are very conscious owners though, and take a lot of time preparing meals to suit their nutrional requirements