Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our cockatiel runs away from our budgie

dolsonneub
January 8th, 2008, 08:19 PM
We have had our cockatiel for a few months now he is about 7 months old.About 5 days ago we got a budgie for Tico our cockatiel because he would chirp all day while we are at work.The first dat Tico hissed at molly (the budgie) all day. Now all molly wants to do is just sit and be with tico. but soon as molly gets close to tico he takes off .We are just wandering if this is normal or whats wrong?

14+kitties
January 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Do you have them in the same cage? If so, separate them. You can put the cages side by side with about 6 inches between them so the birds can see each other and sing and whatnot but it is not a great idea to have them in the same cage together. If, after they have been side by side for a month or so, they seem to be edging closer together, then try giving them some play time where they are both out of their cages (on neutral ground so to say). Try 15 minutes for a start and work up to an hour or so with supervision. I would not want them in the same cage if there is any sign of violence... attacking tailfeathers, nipping, so on. Birds need their space. Even if the cage they are in is huge there could be some fighting issues.

clm
January 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I've had budgies and cockatiels at the same time, but never in the same cage. My last budgie died a few years ago, but she and Frank used to chirp at each other during the day.

Cindy